San Jose State: Open gym & training

Discussion in 'USA West' started by SystemicAnomaly, Sep 20, 2004.

1. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    (I decided to start a new thread on this topic since the other SJSU thread has strayed drastically off topic)

There is an excellent coach that teaches at SJSU on the weekend (both SAT & SUN). I believe his name is Kevin Zhang & was an accomplished player in China (during the '90s, I think). He has been coaching some of the top junior players in Northern Calif at SJSU... quite a few of his players have been junior national champions & have been named to the U.S. Junior National team. Several of his players did very well at the Pan Am Junior Championships recently.

http://www.thebanc.org/oldnews.htm

Even tho' BANC is not active at SJSU since the begining of this month, Kevin is still coaching there. There have been lots of open courts availble for open play as well on SAT & SUN afternoon. I don't think that they've been charging for open play since the end of August. If they do start charging, I think that it may be only $2 or $3 per session.

2. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Correction

I believe that his name is actually Kevin Zeng. Since BANC is out of the picture at this time, he didn't have a lot of his top juniors (that he's been training for the last couple of years) at the gym on Saturday... therefore there was quite a few courts available for open gym play.

I had heard that he's got more trainees on Sunday but that there are still several open courts available for that day as well.

No crowds! No waiting for courts, COME ON DOWN!

3. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    Oh snap! Are there people training you for free? Or do you want us to just come down and play? Either or I'm all good! I live like 5 blocks from San Jose so walking is all good....but then again I can make use of the free weekend parking...hahah.

4. donutmaestro

donutmaestro Regular Member

Sales/Student
    are there set times? who's running it? that coach?

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Hmm....I will put San Jose State University on my applying list for my masters degree :)

6. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

If you do, then you can play with all of us Bay Area folk ;) Amongst us is the world famous Kwun.

7. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I am seriously thinking going to SF area. (There are still very many factors involved).

Are you guys all playing together? :)

8. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Don't know the exact times. BANC had open gym times going from 2:30 to 6:30pm on both SAT & SUN. However now that BANC is not running it, I suppose that the gym will be open as long as the Coach Zeng is coaching. He might start at 2pm or earlier... I don't really know. To be on the safe side, try showing abt 2:30 until we get more info.

BTW, no I'm afraid that he is not coaching for free but you can certainly watch the way he is training his better players.

9. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

We do play together, but it's not every week. I go to open gym every week with Trunkz and we sometimes see Han and Feng-mp100. Shuttleslave is also there about every week.

Will you be there this Saturday? I'm thinking of going after the tournament if I happen to be done before then and if I'm not sick still.

10. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    That's cool, I have done some searches and I have found that there are lots of schools around that area having my major :)
    (SFSU, SJSU, Hayward, Santa Cruz, and Davis)

I have discussed this to my gf , and we are both very interested in going to San Fancisco area to continue our studys. Man, if I do go to San Francisco area, I guess you guys will get loads of badminton supply at minimal prices :cool: and we will rock the bay area days and nights.

11. B3nny H4nn4

B3nny H4nn4 Regular Member

i am currently training with kevin...hes not a bad coach...he charges like 510 dollars for 4 months...i have been training with him since april...and hes a pretty good coach...the problem is...he doesn't speak very good english...so u might get confused with alot of his direction sometimes...haha

12. Feng_MP-100

Feng_MP-100 Regular Member

Student
    bluejeff............................................:crying: ...................................................................... if you come........................................ my wallet will be empty for years probably... >_<""""""""

13. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Is that the BT inTang tournament?

Dunno if I will make it on SAT; my shoulder is in pretty bad shape right now... an old volleyball injury to my favorite shoulder has returned with a vengence (i think that tennis & weight training has done me in this time). Expect to show on SUN, but I'm sure that I will not be playing very seriously cuz of the shoulder pain.

Ya, I guess it's helpful if you can speak Mandarin. I was watching him teach an adult class & 1 of those students was translating some of the finer points that Kevin was making to the other students. Do u or 1 of the other students in your class speak the language? I'm sure that he could give you more explicit instructions in Chinese if asked in his primary language.

His English is passable & it seems that he understands it better than he speaks it. So even if u ask him questions in English, it seems that he can often do a pretty decent job of showing ppl what he means.

#13 SystemicAnomaly, Sep 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2004
  14. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Yes it's the Bintang tournament. I'll probably be done in a matter of minutes since I'm not very good at singles. I'm just too slow, have bad footwork, and bad reaction...:crying:

15. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Wknd Open Gym hours at SJSU

It looks like the open gym hours on the weekend (SAT & SUN) start before 1pm and end after 7pm. It looks like the cost if $2/session (if they collect at all). This is cheaper than the $3 that they charge the general public during the week at SJSU and quite a bit cheaper than the $5 charged at BinTang & S'vale Community Center.

There appears to be lots of courts available for open play, especially on SAT. The open gym & training is usually held in SPX44. However, on some days they use the older gym in the YUH building (closer to 4th street) when SPX44 is not available

From what I understand some of the better junior players are training from 2:30 or 3pm til 5pm. You might learn a bit from watching them go thru their training.

#15 SystemicAnomaly, Sep 25, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  16. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    SJSU: open gym hrs SAT & SUN

Thnx for the upd8, Neo!

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Badminton being a very significant factor;)

18. Fibi713

Fibi713 Regular Member

hi

Hi! I just joined this site, so I'm very new to this.=) What time does the open gym hours for Sat and Sun start? What time until 1pm and what time until 7pm?
    Does everyone there have a partner? I don't know if i can get my friends to go, so I may not have a partner. =)

Thanks!

19. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    SJSU Weekend hours (upd8)

The official hours for Sat & Sun appear to be 12:30pm to 9pm. The cost is $2/session. Each session is supposedly 2 hour, however you will NOT be charged for a 2nd session if you want to play longer unless the courts get crowded (which has not been happening).

Not everyone shows up with a partner. If you need players to play with or against, I suggest that you show up around 2pm or 3pm. Sunday has had more ppl than Saturday lately.

#19 SystemicAnomaly, Oct 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2004
  20. donutmaestro

donutmaestro Regular Member

Sales/Student
    i just got back from sjsu (sat 3pm) and the doors were locked and i couldnt see anyone playing inside, so whats the deal?