Clearing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by BaMBaM, Jun 23, 2001.

1. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

In doubles you go from the front to the sides when your partner clears. How about when your partner clears are not high enough. You get stuck in the front because there wasn't enough time in the clear to react. Would it be my fault for not getting back to the sides or would it be the other person's fault for not clearing high enough?

2. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    If your partner clears, he should say "sides" or some type of thing to ALERT you to be on sides BEFORE he even hits the bird. That's how you guys should do it. Before he smacks the bird, he needs to tell you to get into position.

3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    If the rear partner clears the vocal cue is most helpful; it is not needed if the front player clears (unless the partner is inexperienced). The front player should usually try to back away diagonally from the clear. However, there are cases where this convention might be violated.

If your partner does not clear high or deep enough it is certainly their fault if it puts you in a comprimising position.

4. Daniel Chen

Daniel Chen Guest

always return to the sides. you SHOULDNT clear in doubles anyways.(unless theres a big hole, ie, the other team sucks). you should lift the shuttle very high and deep if you underhand clear.(so its harder to attack). why not just do a drop or smash from the back rather than putting your team into defense by clearing? its not your fault. its your partner's fault for CLEARING in the first place.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Easier said than done but even International doubles players clear at some point if they are wrong footed and off balance.

6. Daniel Chen

Daniel Chen Guest

of course one team has to clear for the the other team to become at offense... it just tseems that bambam is talking about premedidated clears because he is faulting his partner for "not clearing high enough". when you are off balance you can still drop pretty safely and quickly return to balance. hahaha i really hate it when your partner clears when he can attack though.. cuz some partners are like that and it really sucks.

7. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

Funny enough I don't say a thing when this happens but I get blamed for not going to the sides. I know that I should be a the sides but I couldn't react quickly enough because the clear didn't give me enough time. The next best thing is to just prepare for the coming smash.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    or if they feel their opponent smash is weak (of returnable with ease). Sometime i use this tactic to boop out my opponents :evil:

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Where do u stand in the forecourt? Perhaps you are also a bit close to the net and so do not have time to react.

It's funny but I don;t really feel this a big problem for me. I just have this feeling that my partner is in trouble and will have to lift so then I move anyway. Of course the shuttle is usually on the floor by the next shot.

10. viver

viver Regular Member

One example when you do clears in doubles - opposite team is strong on defense and counter attacks. Eg Li YG/Tian BY vs Park JB/Kim MS.

For BamBam's case, situations similar to yours can and will occur during games. If you really do not have time to make a full retreat 1 option is, go back diagonally as far as you can and keep yourself low (crouched) and racquet high - similar in mixed doubles game for the lady in front.

Hope this helps

11. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

Thanks Viver, I'll try that the next time.

12. You must evaluate your partner.

I hate playing double but due to court availability, I force to play double and it not a safe sport if your opponent have a big smash and your safety is not his concern. Your partner bad haft court clear is much safer than a bad drop, so I'm much happier if my less skill partner clear instead of drop. You must evaluate your partner strength in the backcourt before deciding how committed you can be playing up front. If my partner have big smashes and he is a capable offensive player, I'm very committed to play up front waiting for a kill or keep the offense going. If my partner lack offensive power and quality drop shot from the back, I'm less committed up front, play away from the net far as possible but close enough to lunges those return drop. Don't be too committed up front if you find your partner clearing alot.

13. Daniel Chen

Daniel Chen Guest

Re: You must evaluate your partner.

when i'm playing with a less skilled partner(who has no smash), i just tell him to stay in front and smash down any high drops.. and pretend i'm playing singles except i dont need to care about the front as much.

if the partner sucks so much that he cant even play a decent netgame, just tell him to serve and leave the court. it might be easier for you.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

fg,

I met Paul yesterday. we were talking about doubles. Because he has no regular partner, it was difficult to play matches. Basically, he coped by not worrying about the score too much. Playing well with somebody who is not your regular partner.

Even Paul and I who play a fair amount of doubles had difficulty moving around court when partnering. Looking at our own level of play, I would have expected better. By the end of the game, it was working better, though.

I do much the same as you when playing with weaker players. I am more reluctant to go up front. If it's a social game, I won;t say anuthing. If that person is playing and intending to play competitive matches, I ask them to go into the net more often (and say why so). That's probably part of unwanted coaching (as has been discussed in the past) but I reckon if the person wants to win more points, hopefully instilling a little more tactical sense will be beneficial. On the other hand, I will almost never comment on that person's technical skills.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Same here cheung, a little one time coaching hint is sufficient, if that person is not receptive, no amount coaching will work.

in my club, there is a mature lady player who just like to play back. i told her that is not a good strategy for mix double but she wouldnt listen. I even suggested to play like lady double or men double where each partner play like equal but still no good, she just like the back court.

fortunately, there are lots of girls around the club to choose from.

16. Re: You must evaluate your partner.

Cheung,

you sure gets around, don't you? geez it would be nice to travel all over the globe. Let see.... you have play with Ricky, kwun, Paul, anyone else? How about Kelvin, I heard he is heading your way?

When dealing with unconfortable partner, I'm less tolerance, but of course I have learned to shut my mouth now, I lack diplomatic skill. Everytime i open my mouth and make a comment to my partner they get offended. last time I suggested my partner try not to take my shot and he gets very angery at me, he said, "I don't take your shot, you're taking my shot". i take the easy way out of course, i just avoid playing with him. So the most i say to my partner is, "you a bit rusty today". I don't give any more suggestion to anyone anymore because it is true, you can't teach a old dog a new trick.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

fg, are u kl ??

18. May

May Guest

It pretty much depends on.....

how well u and ur partner gel together. Usually, if u have enough practice together, it shld be alryt.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Somebody told me if I pay a little cash, I could join the State training in M'sia.

Now..where's my next pay packet and when is my holiday coming up??

I am going to Australia next year, definate. (Work purposes,hehehe...it's a hard life!)

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

To attend a conference on 'Effect of sunlight, beach, and salty air on healing" ??