Car Maintainance

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Bluechalice, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Bluechalice

Bluechalice Regular Member

Hey guys...I have a Toyota Corolla 2000....recently I just went in to toyota to have an intermediate Maintainance for $137...and when done they recommend I change my battery($143)...replace Engine Drive Belt and Tensioner ($383) and replace front brakes ($199)....what do you guys think of these prices? Ridiculous right?
    I think I am gonna just go to Walmart n get my battery...but the thing is I dont know if walmart can replace brakes and the Engine drive belt etc...can you guys suggest some place in Los Angeles(with good personal experience and good price?)
    My front brake pads are down to 2mm and the back is 3.5mm...I only have like 20000 miles on my car....
    thanks
    Ken

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I don't know how you drive your car, but that sounds like lots of wear to me.
    (I had 30000 miles in 4 years on my old honda before, and the inspection report showed that my brake pads are only 10-20% worn off)

You shouldn't need to change your battery since it's only 4 years old unless it's giving you problems. I had my Honda genuine battery for 10 years and I never need to change it for my old accord.

If you are buying genuine parts, the prices will not matter that much. 3rd party parts sometimes are not as long-lasting as the genuine parts. Also be careful with labor fees because labor cost is the main cost in the US!
    (I replaced a seal under the hood before. Seal: $29 US, Labor: $150 US :eek: )

3. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    For a 2000 model car?? That sounds very suspicious to me. The battery I understand, which are rated for about 3-4 years of solid service. Even then it's only a concern if you live in the very frigid cold of say Northern Canada that you should worry about the electrolyte not performing well enough to crank at start time.

The brakes are straight forward to see if you need to replace them. Just ask to see a new pad next to your current one. You can do this check yourself even by looking into the wheel.

For the tensioner, I believe that should fall under the major component warranty wouldn't it? If it's a 2000 model. For Honda/Acura, the major compoents are covered for 5 years. You should look under your policy with Toyota to see what's still covered.

4. wickeddrop

wickeddrop Regular Member

Dealer prices are always outrageous. If you want to drive to the San Fernando Valley, My brother's mechanic can take care of your car for way cheaper than what the dealer has quoted you. Our mechanic is a certified honda, mercedes, audi, I believe also toyota master technician. If you want his phone number, pm me or email me @ spectramr2@yahoo.com