NEWS: Thomas&Uber homeless.

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cup 2002' started by kwun, Jun 24, 2001.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well, the Thomas and Uber cups themselves are physically sitting very comfortably in Indonesia and China. but for next year's competiton, Malaysia has <a target=top_ href="http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2001/6/24/sports/24hos&sec=sports">turned down</a> the offer to host the cup.

where else? Hong Kong said no, China says no. Singapore has no money, nor does Thailand and Indonesia.

I host it, but i have no money either. anyone got a couple hundreds thousand bucks to share?

2. lindy

lindy Guest

Did the Singapore assn mention no money? can't believe it...

Ask australia to host it....heard that the aussie media giant Murdoch likes the sport a lot.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Singapore doesn't have money to host the Singapore Open. so i am guessing it'd be like that for the T/U cups as well.

4. May

May Guest

Maybe they should host it in Europe instead??? England??

5. greg

greg Guest

It's not possible.
    Singapore is damn rich!!
    They've got a huge amount of financial reserve and the money keep coming.

Maybe badminton is not in their priority list.

6. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    The money for hosting competitions comes from sponsors, not the national reserve. =)

7. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student
    Why not ask the gov to donate some of their money for badminton??

8. alex

alex Guest

it's only speculation that s'pore hasn't the money to stage the s'pore open.The sba chief has stated he wanted the s'pore open this year & was confident it would take place, unlike last year when lack of sponsers was the prob.
    probably the WGPF squeezed out the time allocated for the s'pore open this time round????????.
    as for the T-Cup & the U-Cup, i think it is only fair that the powerhouses should take turns to host them as they are the ones who are likely to win them.
    it looks like it is a money- losing concern to stage a badminton tournament so nobody else's keen on that,of course.
    s'pore has already staged the Asia-Cup which was won ,of course, by one of the powerhouses, & i do not for a moment think it made any money out of that. in fact in all probability, it had made a loss & be a wooden spoonist to boot.so it felt it has already made a fair contribution to the game as a whole world-wide, even if the s'pore open was not held.
    that's why they are experimenting with all sorts of means to make it more viable not least the 5x7 etc.etc.:)

9. Blitz

Blitz Regular Member

Daydreaming
    Do you really think that will happen after living in here for ** number of years? :)

10. budi

budi Guest

Let's all pray that the final Thomas and Uber cup will be held in Singapore!! (esp. those staying in Singapore)

Can't wait to see top players in action again since Asia Cup.

11. modious

modious Regular Member

Hey

Yudhi, why dun u join us for a game nowadays?
    U only came once and played like 1 match only?
    Byro has been coming regularly for 3 weeks now and I hope to see u soon again! :)

12. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Oh bloody s***.... no, it'd better not, coz I won't be around!

Uh well, I shouldn't be so selfish, should I? Oh well, here's keeping my fingers crossed on behalf of all of you.

13. greg

greg Guest

How about Adel, Modious?
    She also lives in Singapore. Should invite her to your regular badminton session.

She talks big, I wonder if she can still talks big in court.

14. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Unfortunately, I can't talk big on court - esp since I'm nursing a torn muscle at present.

Greg, if I've offended you with the way I speak, I do apologise. But it is a fact that the government will not think of using the financial reserve for anything else, other than saving it for the future generation. Hell, some MP suggested touching it (for what I can't remember) and was blasted by the SM.

15. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Thomas&Uber ... where ?

Its not possible that the government will chip in the money for any sport much less badminton here. For all the money that Singapore has in its reserves, it used for 'long term financial security' ... Be it in investments or in controlling the currency.

For all major sporting events that have graced the island, most of the money have come in the form of sponsors. There is a fixed amount of money that is allocated to the ministry involved and no more. But sponsorship is encouraged by means of tax offsets, advertisments etc, etc. The Singapore Badminton Federation probably has used up most of the possible money for the year that can be spared for events.

Its the same basically everywhere except maybe in China where the state takes most of the burden. Though they don't always need to as even their national team is sponsored by some construction conglomerate as I read off their Tshirts.

I should think that China and maybe Japan would be interested.

16. greg

greg Guest

Re: Thomas&Uber ... where ?

as i thought..

NATO - No Action Talk Only

17. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Re: Thomas&Uber ... where ?

You got that right too. What can I say?

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Implication

To my knowledge, Adel has never boasted of having exceptional badminton playing expertise which your thread implies

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    New idea

How about holding Thomas/Uber cup at the same time as WGPF 2000 and 2001 as a combined event? That wa, at least only one venue and time has to be sorted out. Use the same matches to decide the winners of all three events (two for mxd and the puritans amongst us)

20. mbelinda

mbelinda Guest

Re: New idea

Maybe