Buying a Cell Phone

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Bluechalice, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Bluechalice

Bluechalice Regular Member

I need a cell phone just for like emergency situations etc...like car breakdown etc...wont be making lots of call...I live in Los Angeles area...and was wondering what most of you guys use and would recommend? I would really like a phone that has no monthly fees...the lowest possible bill...around under $20 a month? is there such? I have seen some of those that you can buy the card like Pay an Go...etc...do they carry over to the next month if you dont use the minutes? cause I probably wont be calling much on the cell phone like only 5 calls max a month...at most...

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I suggest you to go to the local wal-mart or target. They have cell phones with prepaid cards. There is no monthly fee or hidden charges, you can recharge the minutes to the card later on, but I think it says that the minutes will be expired in 3 or 6 months per charge. (that is, if you charge the card on 1/1, all the remaining mintues for this charge will last from 1/1-4/1 if the period is 3 months.)

3. wickeddrop

wickeddrop Regular Member

You could piggyback on a family member who has one for $19.99/month, friends and family program, and share their minutes, which you wont be using much anyways. That would be my suggestion to avoid the minutes not carrying over.

4. Bluechalice

No Family here...

Too bad I don have family out here...my wifes family is in Midwest and mine is back in Malaysia...I will check out walmart...I have also seen some at Best Buys...but they all look too complicated...lol...cause I never had a cell phone before...so I will have to look more into it...

5. Bluechalice

6. Bluechalice

Any Phone?

On the walmart site I saw they had a couple motoral and nokia phones for use with the Tracfone service...I was wondering can I just buy any cell phone and use Tracfone or it doesnt work that way?