User Tag List

Thread: Scam on paypal

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Scam on paypal

It has come to our attention that your PayPal Billing Information records are out of date. That requires you to update the Billing Information.
    Failure to update your records will result in account termination. Please update your records in maximum 24 hours. Once you have updated your account records, your PayPal session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Failure to update will result in cancellation of service, Terms of Service (TOS) violations or future billing problems.
    Please click here to update your billing records.

Thanks for using PayPal!

This PayPal notification was sent to your mailbox. Your PayPal account is set up to receive the PayPal Periodical newsletter and product updates when you create your account. To modify your notification preferences and unsubscribe, go to https://www.paypal.com/PREFS-NOTI and log in to your account. Changes to your preferences may take several days to be reflected in our mailings. Replies to this email will not be processed.

If you previously asked to be excluded from Providian product offerings and solicitations, they apologize for this e-mail. Every effort was made to ensure that you were excluded from this e-mail. If you do not wish to receive promotional e-mail from Providian, go to http://removeme.providian.com/.

Copyright┬ę 2004 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
    Got this message in my mailbox. First time for me to see a paypal scam (i don't have paypal).

This is just to warn people to be wary of this trick since I know many of our users have paypal. If you already know about the scam, please ignore

DO NOT enter your paypal account details via the links in the quote!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the notice.. i've signed up for PayPal recently.. never actually got a chance to use it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Much appreciated cheung

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paypal and eBay scams are a dime a dozen these days. Don't you love people who don't know what else to do but try and scam you out of money?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, when you login to transfer money in paypal, they give the same sort of instructions...

that users must be beware of any spurious mails or sites asking for information...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hate paypal, it drove me nuts when i had it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had paypal account and I got the same message also. Fortunately I was too busy and haven't done anything yet. Thanks Cheung.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Internet Scam

I personally have received many more scam email like the one posted by Cheung, mostly claiming to be banks, most if not all that I do not have a bank account with.

Would suggest that you, next time when you receive such email, call up your bank/company to confirm. Because it is unlikely institution like banks will get your confidential information via the web or ask you to confirm your identity by entering bank account number, etc etc.

just my 2 cents worth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch out BFers. I just received an email sent to my hotmail account saying that $67 has been charged. To read the transaction, connect to www.paypal.com.websrc.us which bring to a log on screen look exactly like paypal.com. However, I never use my hotmail account on ebay, and I check my credit cards account, and I don't see any $67 transactions. This is obviously a scam. Once you log on, they know your password so they can connect to the real paypal.com.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qidong
    Watch out BFers. I just received an email sent to my hotmail account saying that $67 has been charged. To read the transaction, connect to www.paypal.com.websrc.us which bring to a log on screen look exactly like paypal.com. However, I never use my hotmail account on ebay, and I check my credit cards account, and I don't see any $67 transactions. This is obviously a scam. Once you log on, they know your password so they can connect to the real paypal.com.
    Wooahh.. that's really dogdy Qidong!

Thanks to both Qidong and Cheung for informing us about this dodgy scam..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default eBay fake email

just had my first scam eBay email

posing as a "Question from eBay Member"

Item: *New Sealed In Box BOSE Cinemate Home theatre speakers
    Why have you bidded on my product and do not respond to my messages. You are the winning bidder and if you will not respond to my message i will leave a negative feedback.

all the links are obviously fake, and I know I haven't bid on such an item

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I use PayPal a lot, I get tons of variations of these types of messages.

The best thing you can do is forward the message to: spoof@paypal.com and let them pursue it. They will send you two e-mails in response though. One within one hour that they are looking into this and maybe a day later, it's a "spoof" e-mail. That's about all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default like this one too??

Dear valued PayPal« member:

It has come to our attention that your PayPal« account information needs to be updated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your personal records you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension.

Once you have updated your account records, your PayPal« session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

To update your PayPal« records click on the following link:
    http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

Thank You.
    PayPal« UPDATE TEAM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    Got this message in my mailbox. First time for me to see a paypal scam (i don't have paypal).

This is just to warn people to be wary of this trick since I know many of our users have paypal. If you already know about the scam, please ignore

DO NOT enter your paypal account details via the links in the quote!
    it's called "phishing"...there are lots of scams like these nowadays especially targeting bank clients...so better be careful if your always doing money transactions online...better safe than sorry