S'pore is a Wooden spoonist in the mid 80s,but NOW

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by terence, Jun 25, 2001.

1. terence

terence Guest

S;pore is a wooden spoonist in the mid 80sof the thomas cup.This is far better than in the 90s and NOW where there is so many chinese coaches lah..indo coaches lah and even a former world champion here claiming to help to enhance the level of our local badminton.What @!#$!!! look at the result they have produce.i dun have to spell them out.
    The fact that s'pore went in to the thomas cup final round w/o the so call "foreign coaches"or should i say "foreign diggers".We have local diligent players like hamid khan,shoon keat,sulaiman and etc and local dedicated coaches like Anthony Chan who made great constribution in local badminton .BUT,does anyone know that ever since the SBA committee implement the policy of chinese coaches in the late 80s.Good local coaches like anthony chan was brutally" F" by the SBA .
    Despite of this, anthony chan coach many youngsters ,and had produce many junior Champions like hamid khan,lau wing cheok,chong soon ong,wee peng siong,lim boon leong,ching sai keong,tan siang peng,simon koh and toh wee kai.In some of times,he had to coach in his OWN expenses.
    i just dun know why the SBA committe dun recognise such great coaches and offer him a post of director of coaches.SBA have no faith on good local coaches.They choose to belive on foreign diggers,SBA allow favourtism in the national team,they sent their not good but FAVOURITE player to play abroad.SBA pay well for these foreign diggers to satisfy their money lust.And worst of all,chinese coaches stop pushing the players when no head is looking at them.They play dirty politics to ensure they enjoy good life. WHY and WHY?Maybe the media have realise the situation and start to turn their eyes on the SBA .they realise sth is wrong.So in order for the SBA to protect their ass,they implement foreign players policy to achieve quick result.
    So 1 thing we know that is if S'pore really won the thomas/uber cup.We didnt earn it,because we bought it
    SO LET ME ASK ALL OF U,WHERE IS THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE S"PORE LOCAL PLAYERS AND COACHES.

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Re: S'pore is a Wooden spoonist in the mid 80s,but

I can't really say much, i did say in the past that should Singapore win any medals in competitive badminton, it would have been bought and not earned

3. May

May Guest

why not send this to some local paper???? Like Straits Times??? What's the point of posting that here. ??

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

Good point. We have no poilitical power here.

5. mbelinda

mbelinda Guest

Can the SBA sue the writer or even anyone concren if this message were to be printed in the NST ???

6. terence

terence Guest

No newspaper will want to publish any of such article.Because they knew the top head of the SBA is a MP.They got an ass to save too.i just want to tell the truth and explain why is it not advisable for young local to become professional.

7. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Hmm ...

Ahh .. Sai Keong a friend of mine actually, his surname is spelled "Chin", not "Ching" . His 2 sisters, Yan Ping and Yan Li were in the National Intermediate squad too in about the '91~'92 period.

But the really sad thing is, he won the National under 17 title the first time when he was 14 or 15 ! But he subsequently hung up his rackets by the 2nd year of University. He was my teammate in Junior College, which is how I got to know him actually. Reason ebing that, there was too little support and too little prospect.

Come to think of it, Byron, maybe I should ask him along to our sessions. I wonder how rusty is he now ? I believe he still loves to play the game, but maybe only for fun ?? And yes, he gave me 15-0 before ! I wonder if the elder sister can come, she's good enough to play with/against about 95% of the guys in Singapore when I saw her play years ago.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

it sounded like the SBA is runned by bunch of SOB old boy network. If you have some fresh blood in that gang things could change in our lifetime.

9. terence

terence Guest

Gladius,so where is sai keong and her sister doing now...

10. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer

I just bumped into him a few weeks ago actually. He's started work recently as a system operator. The sister(s) ? I don't know as I didn't ask. He still plays occasionally as far as he mentioned. Come to think of it, I should dig up his phone number and give him a call. Maybe I can ask him along for one of our badminton sessions at Bishan.

What about you? Where do you usually play ? Don't tell me you know him as well ?

11. modious

modious Regular Member

Yes yes, we need more good players at Bishan!

12. May

May Guest

Well, I honestly don't think anybody wants to become a professional. I sure as hell don't want to.

13. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer

Must get him first, I believe I still have his number somewhere.

14. terence

terence Guest

dear Gladius...i dun know sai keong in person...i heard of him from my former coach Anthony chan who is sai keong"s ex-trainer.All i know he is a very very good player.

i used to play in my former sec school and anthony 's club,but stop because it clashes w my church service...i tink i stop playing for quite sometime..so now no standard place to play.
    i knew that some of u have a session at bishan sport hall,but it's far from the place i stay.(tampines)

15. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer

Yes, at that time , he was absolutely the best in our age group. Fact is, he had a very natural eye and head for the game. If you ever had the chance to watch him play, you'll realise how easy he makes the game look, when actually its such a tough game to master. He has probably the best fundamentals I've seen in any local player.

And an interesting fact is that because he's so relaxed when he's playing, he is always smiling even if he trails by a few points. So much so, he makes it look so deceptively easy a game !

So, you've trained under Anthony before ? So I guess your standard should be pretty good! ... ... ??? We aren't exactly great players ourselves, so you don't have to worry about embarassing yourself. ( You may end up thrashing us instead !!! )

Why don't you drop by one of these days at Bishan? Modious will always post the date and time here. Tampines ? Oh, that isn't really that far is it? We have people who live in Jurong West extension coming down for our sessions! Mind you it takes him anout 1 hour 25 minutes to get there! I believe you can get to Bishan in an hour or less by MRT right??

Oh yes, why I asked if you know him? We had a teammate whose name was Terence as well ! And he was a pretty outstanding singles player too.

16. terence

terence Guest

Oh i c..well i try to come down in one of ur session,but not so soon...i will let u know...anyway thanks for inviting

17. i'm spoil.

wow, drive an hour and 25 min to play badminton, that's dedication. i live in calgary canada, it take me only 5 min of driving to play badminton.

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Re: i'm spoil.

frustrated guy, which place(s) you go play badminton?

19. terence tan

terence tan New Member

student
    gladius, its terence tan here, who are u?

20. Nict_26

Nict_26 Regular Member

just a job
    dude, its a decade old thread..