User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that's in Indian Rupees, you're short-changing yourself!

-dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who showed up?...

Badrad & Family
    (Mrs) 15Love
    Wood_22_Chuck
    Cappy75
    Timeless
    BTC2004
    BMS
    Ivan plus 2-3 others who I know but not too sure if they're BF members

Going from 2.5 to 12 "competitive players" within 7 days!... not too bad!

I just hope they will re-paint the walls & ceiling green soon (NOT)!

Best of luck to the facility & hope they develop some good players for the north shore!

Cheers!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's quite a fun night! Thanks to B-M-S for arranging this meet, cuz otherwise I won't have any reason to go up to North Van. Too bad that we didn't mix it up much with everybody. I was with/against Wood_22_Chuck and timeless the whole time. Not that it's a bad thing, but would definitely be interesting to check out the other players.

The place looks cool (in a claustrophobic sorta way) and is somewhat similar to Coal Harbour with the approach of windowed stairwell leading down the gym overlooking the courts. The gym is more suited for yellow nylon shuttles as it's brightly lit. Shower facilities are really nice and there's a spanking new weight room on the second level. Parking would be a problem so that limits to mostly local North Van players.

My only peeve about the place is that the flooring feels harder than Cameron's. Either wear well cushioned indoor court shoes or lighten your footwork cuz your knees will definitely hurt.
    Last edited by cappy75; 10-07-2004 at 06:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would only add "do not eat spicy Pad Thai noodles before playing" to that

The court sides where light brown wood panels, which were okay, but beyond 5 or 6 feet up, the walls and ceilings are white! Good luck timing your smash returns and also retrieving high clears

-dave

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wood_22_chuck
    I would only add "do not eat spice Pad Thai noodles before playing" to that

-dave
    please, spare us the details....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

other than the 3 flights of stairs to walk down to and from the gym, the night was rather fun. mixed a bit with various players, the gym floor is decent but definitely not as giving as cameron or wood floors.

it was fun linking up with BTC - we both realized that we hadn't played against each other for nearly 4 years. unfortunately he running down my poor partner, and a few times i could imagine my partner was near a heart attack. i think i could literally count the number of shots i actually hit throughout the game on both hands. shame of on you BTC!!!! Hahahahah!

the clincher for the evening though was i sliced apart my partner's racquet. poor Ivan...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was indeed a fun evening. Cappy and WoodChuck recovered from a slow start, most likely due to the thai dinner we finished off just minutes before we played, but came out on fire for the 2nd half of the night. Cappy's service reception and drives were great, I just couldn't seem to finish off any rallies because his racquet kept getting in the way . And I'd like everyone to urge WoodChuck to join VRC so he can teach me his net shots. On far too many occasions to be considered luck, I thought his net shots were heading out of bounds, only to clip the tape, slow down, and land in. @#$&*@#$ is all I had to say! hahaha . BMS had improved both his smash and net play since the last time I saw him (many months ago). He sported his 300 km/h excessive speeds badminton T-shirt and he was certainly "in the zone". At the net he was a monster, trying to cut everything off. Perhaps next time he should get a shirt with the "Great Wall" on it . As Cappy mentioned, it's too bad we didn't get to mix around very much, but the badrads, 15Love, and BTC2004 certainly seemed to have the opposition running as usual. It was good to see that BTC2004 made it out for the 2nd half, but I didn't get a chance to socialize with him, nor anyone else much for that matter. It wasn't very busy so almost everyone played continuously with minimal breaks in between games. All in all, chalk up another fun BF meet!
    Last edited by timeless; 10-07-2004 at 03:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh gosh yes those stairs... I was tired by the time we reached the gymnasium! And I agree that the floor was not much better than playing on concrete. Another strange thing about that center, is the change rooms are colder than the air outside! It was like a meat locker in there.

Badrad, I didn't even notice that you sliced someone elses racquet. Was yours completely undamaged? It's a good thing you didn't play with me, as I doubt your racquet would have survived the one I was playing with that night, even with your perfect sword technique!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

knock wood, but the same racquet has claimed several other racquets already, and the only noticeable is a few scratches. it's the same racquet that sliced up poor Luke's Forza earlier this year. i also killed another player MP99 at a community center over the summer.want to partner up next time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*LOL* I had a feeling it was the same racquet! Sure I'll partner up with you. The racquet I've been using lately may be the only thing able to withstand your own. Steel head and shaft!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I attribute my slow start to those white walls and ceilings. After that my timing came back somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by wood_22_chuck
    I would only add "do not eat spicy Pad Thai noodles before playing" to that

The court sides where light brown wood panels, which were okay, but beyond 5 or 6 feet up, the walls and ceilings are white! Good luck timing your smash returns and also retrieving high clears

-dave
    Timeless is no slouch himself. Often finding him making those excellent behind the back and between the legs shots. Simply amazing. I think we got our own Canadian version of Sigit.

OK, really seriously thinking about starting a petition thread to get Wood_22_Chuck to join VRC. He is quite the understated player and pretty much enliven the whole group with his humor. Despite having the 'extra load', I suspect his Pak Thai power actived later and made him dance around the court almost effortlessly. *wipe brow* No clash this time.

Don't know about you, timeless... but BMS has always played a mean game Always fast, always furious. I think you have to drop-in at Collingwood more to adapt to his powers.

Quote Originally Posted by timeless
    It was indeed a fun evening. Cappy and WoodChuck recovered from a slow start, most likely due to the thai dinner we finished off just minutes before we played, but came out on fire for the 2nd half of the night. Cappy's service reception and drives were great, I just couldn't seem to finish off any rallies because his racquet kept getting in the way . And I'd like everyone to urge WoodChuck to join VRC so he can teach me his net shots. On far too many occasions to be considered luck, I thought his net shots were heading out of bounds, only to clip the tape, slow down, and land in. @#$&*@#$ is all I had to say! hahaha . BMS had improved both his smash and net play since the last time I saw him (many months ago). He sported his 300 km/h excessive speeds badminton T-shirt and he was certainly "in the zone". At the net he was a monster, trying to cut everything off. Perhaps next time he should get a shirt with the "Great Wall" on it .
    Last edited by cappy75; 10-07-2004 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! Just wondering what brand this samurai racquet is... certainly doesn't sound like Yonex.

Quote Originally Posted by badrad
    knock wood, but the same racquet has claimed several other racquets already, and the only noticeable is a few scratches. it's the same racquet that sliced up poor Luke's Forza earlier this year. i also killed another player MP99 at a community center over the summer.want to partner up next time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the fun games L,C and R of the Badrad Clans. It was certainly a decent gym inspite of the white ceiling...blindinggggggg! Love the floor.

Hey Badrad, remind me to use my SS Blacken if I ever partner you Ha Ha
    Ivan is going to raise your drop in fee next time. He should have left it alone after you said "MINE", even though it was your backhand which is stronger then most forehand.

BMS, we have to get WH and the Badrads to Collingwood.

Thanks for a great evening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timeless
    ...BMS had improved both his smash and net play since the last time I saw him (many months ago). He sported his 300 km/h excessive speeds badminton T-shirt and he was certainly "in the zone". At the net he was a monster, trying to cut everything off. Perhaps next time he should get a shirt with the "Great Wall" on it ...
    Technically, it has been two weeks since I "twanged" the ligament in my elbow and I couldn't hit anything without pain. Fortunately, I was able to test-drive my elbow the same Wed morning and found out it was OK, thus I was motivated to play that nite...

...and that's why you noticed me killing every shot from the back (2 weeks of stored energy), or when I was in front, it look like I was swatting for flies

...and then some of the net play (the song "You Spin Me Right Round"), my head sure felt that way!

*LOL* Timeless, when I saw the racquet you were playing with, I thought "steel plated Humm V ...designed to slice & dice through carbon fibre, titanium mesh, and sometimes the partner's flesh if it gets in the way of the shuttle!"

(Ms)15Love it was fun to have played with you for the first time (I think we slaughtered our opponents too quickly, we should have made them suffer longer!)

As other BF members has mentioned, Badrad & Family, Timeless, & 15Love, you guys & gals are welcome to drop-in to Collingwood anytime...I know it might conflict with your VRC 2am training sessions! BUT...

...with Collingwood's (tba) changes in scheduling / extended playing time of 3.5 hours, you guys can do your 2am training session, go for breakfast, and test out your newly attained skills at Collingwood!

Cheers!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a fun night; however, the cement floors under the rubber mats really killed my knees. That was an interesting set of games BMS and I had in the beginning. I think Ivan has perfected the " high serve into the white ceiling" to foil all newcomers! Had a great game with BTC against Mrs and Lil Badrad.. Long rallies and lots of laughs!! Going up the stairs after was very tiring too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Badrad,

I just got a message from Ivan, he checked with Centre regarding the age group for the competitive play. He said that it is no problem for little badrad to play on Wed.

Cheers!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Break-My-String
    Hey Badrad,

I just got a message from Ivan, he checked with Centre regarding the age group for the competitive play. He said that it is no problem for little badrad to play on Wed.

Cheers!
    that sounds great. i have to coordinate with little and mrs, as by the time we get home it's rather late and is a school night.
    also, i guess little badrad is allowed, but old badrad is forever banned for assassinating ivan's racquet...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4