Reviews of Yonex Isometric Slim 10

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by bluejeff, Oct 1, 2004.

1. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I have been using this Slim10 for past couple weeks (or months? :p), and I have some personal reviews that I would like to share with you guys.

Information
    Model: Yonex Isometric Slim 10
    Year: Oh, this was introduced like 10 years ago, but I got it brand new by digging it out from a old badminton shop's storage in Taiwan :p
    Weight: 3UG5
    Length: Regular length
    Currently string: BG85 blue around 21 or 22 pounds.

Reviews
    This is by far the slimmest (spellings? :p) racket I have seen. When you swing it, you would notice a significant reduction in air drag. Especially when you use a thin string on it (I used BG85), you will feel a lot less of air drag comparing to other rackets.

Comparing to my Cab20P (3UG5), I felt Slim10 is a little faster in swing speed when applied the same amount of effort. The power is not impressive, but enough to make big smashes. The control is tricky; once you get used to the racket, you will like it :) . The net shot is only fair, I don't think this is a kind of racket for net games.

I will post more thoughts on this racket later as I am needed to go somewhere at this moment. :cool:

Attached Files:

2. askmeo88

askmeo88 New Member

Student
    Slim 10

This racket has great balance, but like bluejeff said, the power and control is just average. Durability is just not good :( (slim frame) ...

How much is a:

New Slim 10 (Perfect)
    Used Slim 10 (Pretty much perfect)

worth today? It seems that these rackets are getting rarer and rarer, perhaps they'll be investment pieces :cool: (just like the Boron 2)...

Oh yeah, I have the old logo version, is there really a difference between it and the new logo version? I've head that old Cab 20s are better than the new ones somewhere :confused: .

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I am back :cool: and I would continue my reviews here:

As it is very slim and low-air-resistant, it is great for returning shuttles in very fast strokes flatly. (Kind of like MP-88 style). Since the swing speed is very fast, it would help you to play good defense and to return smashes accurately.

I have this impression that Slim10 is for defensive players who occasionally needs some punches on the offense side. Once you are able to return a shot by using its speed, then you will get your chance to win the rally on next sonic return. :)

By the way, I was able to perform a little better in my back-hand shots with slim10 for unknown reasons. I guess the reason was that I am now able to reach the shuttle faster than usual, which speeded my tempo up a little. But really, I like this racket and I like the feel of using it. It is a very nice racket and I believe it could live a long time if you treat it like a baby :)

Durability Issue
    This racket should be used only for singles. Yeah, I am serious. ONLY for singles. Slim10 is one of the weakest racket in terms of durability among Yonex rackets. If you used it in doubles, it would be gone in one clash most likely.
    Using it in singles is OK, but make sure you don't do stupid things like hitting the wall or floor. :)

Grip
    Well, the one I have here is the G5 version.
    So, it's kind of too slim, and I used the Yonex Super Grap A440 (Thick style, not the ones sold in US.In order to distinguish the US ones, I would called this A440T).
    As shown in the picture, it is 2X thicker than the normal Super Grap, and it's more like a leather grip in terms of feels. The best thing about this grip is that, it's super durable. Even if you are a frequent badminton player (like 3-4 times a week), I think it would last you at least a month before changing.

This grip is very sofy and very cushy, but so far, I can only find this grip in Taiwan and only available in White, Black, Purple, and Red. No other colors.
    It has the same price as the reguar A440, but A440T , I dare to say, lasts at least 3X longer than the US version of A440.
    In order to control Slim10 well, I think it is very important to get the right grip and the right size (diameter). Also, with right grip, you might be able to protect the racket from mis-hitting, which is something important with the Slim10 ;)

Comparing to other rackets
    Fast swings, not durable, thin frame and shaft, and combining all these, I could only think about my old racket, MP-88 in 4U, which performs like it, although it's longer and more head heavy. However, I kind of feel that both MP88 and slim10 share a certain degree of playing style.:)

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Well, Slim10 is out of production for a long time, and it's hard, in fact, very hard to find them, especially in new condition.

Someday, it might worth a bunch like Boron2, but I started thinking that I will keep them no matter what since I like them a lot. :)

I don't know about the old logo ones since I never played the old ones before. But hey, at least I got slim10 here :)

5. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman

For the Slim 10 SP:

The highest price in the introductory - HK$1100
    The lowest price in the clearence - HK$438
    Last time I find it in Royal Sporting House in 2003 - HK$900

For the Slim 10 CN:

The highest price / update price - HK$1900
    The lowest price should be 2002 - HK$900

6. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    I have 3 Slim 10s in the old logo with the 2UG4 marker. I personally prefer it to all of my rackets, having rediscovered the feeling since losing 2 other Slim 10s to cold weather (warped) in the previous 6 months. No clue how the 3U feels like but it can generate enough power to be sufficient for some big smashes. Durability-wise, I've just stated that the 2 Slim 10s that were warped were used for approximately a year each with BG-66 at 22 lbs. In the end, there were hairline cracks at the top of the frame (10 to 2 o'clock positions) from stringing too much I guess. Now, I only have 2 Slim 10s strung and I keep one brand new (however, since its an old logo, it's very old and the original grip has started becoming powder now, so very hard to keep towel grips on :( ) At first, I bought Cab 20s to replace my broken Slim 10s but I have since rediscovered why I love this racket so much. Nothing else from Yonex even comes close to this racket (that I have tried, anyway). If I ever do get a chance to try the Boron 2, will post a review comparison sometime.

7. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    i've never played with a slim 10. Whats the balance like? and how about stiffness?

I'm thinking of buying a couple just to try them out. I figure such a famous racket is worth picking up.

8. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    If we rate from 1(smallest amount) to 10 (largest amount), then:

Balance: 5~6
    Stiffness: 6~7

Yeah, Slim10 certainly does worth trying out and keeping. It's great rackets with distinct features from today's rackets. :cool:

9. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    Hey bluejeff, did you get that cloth cover with the Slim 10s? If so, they look mighty fancy :D

10. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Nah, my cloth bags are from elsewhere :)

In case if you wonder what slim10's cases look like:

Attached Files:

11. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    Heh ok, I have the same covers as you do (the one with the old logo).

12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I know this is a very old thread, but...

I saw a Iso Slim 10 today :) and I had a go with it, I was actually rather impressed, I thought that it wouldn't be very good, but to my suprise it was rather impressive. Quite powerful, and good manueverability. When I looked at it, before I was going to give it back, I realised just how slim it was ! I think it was strung with BG80, at probably around 23lbs. I was thinking of buying it, but we will see, if I was to buy it, it would probably cost me about $50 or something. Seriously considering it:) but haven't asked the owner if they want to sell. I also saw a Ti-10 1st gen, as well today, but didn't have enough time to try it out, the centre was closing, so will have to wait till next week.:)

13. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

There is no wonder that the Slim10 is still Peter Gade's favourite racquet of all time as he stated in interviews :D

14. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Do you think if I can get it for under $60 it's a good price ?

15. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

60 pounds is okay I guess. There are two versions to the racquet as stated in the thread, since it started production before 1998 with the old logo then it was adorned with the new logo till the end of its production. I've been told the old logo Slim10 should cost about 120 pounds brand new because of rarity.

But personally I feel it's more of a collectible racquet than one which you will actually use. You pretty much have the Arc10 which is similar in performance these days.

16. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

depends on the condition. and even is you do get it, its hard to say that it can stand up to stringing. A friend of mine mentioned he broke his on a mishit after stringing 27 pounds on it, provided it was a big mishit. but the frame isnt too strong to begin with anyway.

17. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Not £60, US$60, (I converted it to $ to help you guys out) it is the old logo, and it's got a few paint chips, but nothing major, (quite good condition, considering it's age) the strings are in good condition at a reasonable tension, so I wouldn't have to get it re strung. For $60 (£40) I don't think it would be too bad, providing I could get them to part with their racket, I would only use it for singles anyway, so durability regarding clashes and stuff won't come into play.

I think the reason I was so suprised with it's performance, was the fact that I hadn't really seen a review on it before, I had heard the name, but wasn't sure what it would be like, usually when I test a racket, I have read 20 different peoples opinion of it, and kind of expect what it will be like. With this, it was like walking into the unknown, and too be honest I quite liked it. For some strange reason the racket seemed to help with backhand shots, I don't think I have ever hit 4 solid back hand clears in a row before. It's going to be a hard to get the owner to part company, I hope it will be worth it.

Btw any more reviews is appreciated.

18. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Peter Gade used to use this. I have two of these. I think that when Gader lost to Gopichand in all England he was using this racket. Gopi was using Iso 600.

They are a great singles racket (given their durability issue better not play doubles in case you clash) with decent feel at the net and enough power for clears etc. Obviously technology has changed now and there are way more powerful rackets. I suppose if it was good enough for Gader, it should be more than enough for us. Better to improve our game...

I was not aware that they were produced in 3U. Mine are old logo and one of the bags is slighlty different to the pcitures. It is more like the Cab 880 Tour SP bags.

Cheers

19. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    was slim 10 comparable to Ti10?

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    slim-10 is a light and thin framed racket. i don't think there has been a similar racket to it.

it is very very fragile though. i don't think there is a racket as fragile as it.