Why are u attacking player? why are u a stroke player?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by New_Guy04, Oct 2, 2004.

1. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

description of my physical attributes.

-Hard smasher
    -Can be a fast runner... but poor stamina, and soon becomes tired, so become slower
    -Deceptive shots
    -OK net play
    -Not so good defense when it comes to smashes
    -My upper body is more built than my lower body... so my upper body has more endurance

In tournaments and stuff, should i stick with a stroke game, where i defend?

or should i be an aggresive attacker, where netplay, smashes take about 40-50% of my shots?

Which style is the most appropriate for me? which style can i bring all my potential in a game?

and what kinda ppl (in terms of physical attributes) should play attacking game? which kinda player should play a stroke game?

2. ant0niu588

ant0niu588 Regular Member

Student
    Hi new_guy04... i think it all depends on the opponent u play with. If ur opponent has more stamina than u, than maybe u should stick to defending play and try to move ur opponent all arnd the court to make them tired. Use deceptive drop shots, drive and if u have a nice, high ball. Then u should go for the kill... If they have weak defend then go for the attackin one, if nt, u will only tire urself out. Hope this will help...

3. Hello0

Hello0 Regular Member

Personally, I find stroke players much more fun to watch.

4. valourarc

valourarc Regular Member

Professional
    Are we talking about doubles or singles?

I don't think you should ever play a stroke game in doubles since the attacking team always has the advantage (assuming the players know how to play as a team. I believe this is true even if the smash is not that powerful since weak returns will result in a put away by the net player).

If you're playing a good player in singles, you might actually get more tired if you play a stroke game since you're running all over the place recovering shots. The truth is, if you can put away the shuttle, you have to do it. If all your attacks are ineffective, then you're only hope is placement.

Then again, I think you should change pace in a game so that you're shots aren't predictable. In the end, people who only stick to one style will not win a lot because their shots become predictable.

5. sessyargc

sessyargc Regular Member

software engineer
    I agree with valourarc's comments. I don't usually play singles, mostly MD and XD. My game style usually also changes depending on the level of play of my partner and/or his attitude towards the game.

If I'm paired with a good hard hitting player I mostly do the stroke shots, and vice versa. If the opponents try to change tactics I most of the time go offensive, and attacking the net becomes my first priority.

Thus, I'm more of an in between player that adapts based on the variables of the game. I'm short (at 5feet4inches), not super physically fit (in fact I'm overweight and have stage 1 hypertension), but I do have good arms and legs (I got this from military training back in HS and College), and have a decent stamina. I also play at least 3 hours on weekends only. I really can't correlate my physical attributes to my game style :) I don't have a very hard smash, got decent drops, good net play (i love those tumbling net shots), and I'm quick to and at the net.

IMHO, no one style of play is appropriate. You should know all of the styles and apply it to the game when needed. Knowing the styles and shots is easy, applying it to win points in a game can sometimes be hard. IMHO, this would bring out your potential in the game.

Smashing 40-50% of the time can be very taxing on your stamina. Know when to use the power shots. But if you've got the stamina and shot making ability of the top players, then by all means let it rain shuttlecocks on your opponent's side of the court :)

HTH

#5 sessyargc, Apr 28, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2005