what do u think is the reason for pros to switch their type of service all the time?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by New_Guy04, Oct 2, 2004.

1. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

i saw lots of (singles) pros sometimes use..

-a backhand service that u can either low serve or flick long and flat to catch ur opponent off balance

- a forehand service that u can low serve or flick long and flat to catch ur opponent off balance

-a forehand service that is nice, long, and high to the rear line.

in a regular game, ppl switch from one form of serve to another... i'm not saying they are varying WHERE they are serving, but they are switching their TYPE of services.

why do u think they switch everytime in a match (even against the same opponent)??

for ex. i saw xia xuan ze play with wch in WC 2003

he used the backhand service and varied the serve

after a few serves, he used the forehand service and varied the serve

after the second game, he started to use the long, forehand service...

why do u think u should do that?

2. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    "Variety is the spice of life"

In badminton you have to change things based on your oponents strengths and weakness' service is one of the main criteria to set up the next three or four shots. To get the outcome you want you must adapt things to make your oponent play those shots or make the likleyhood higher.

3. paulchow

paulchow Regular Member

that game between xia and wch was v. entertaining:) My instinctive answer in reference to why one would switch between forehand and backhand serves is that the change may throw the oponent out of their service reception rhythem a bit. My other thougt is that switching the serve from forehand to backhand and vice versa can help the server feel better if they have not been doing well with one method of service.