Quiz about cricket,soccer and badminton

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by donnie, Oct 2, 2004.

1. donnie

donnie New Member

What do the games of cricket, soccer and badminton have in common besides being games invented by Englishmen over 100 years ago. Hint- each game has a rule intended to limit the speed of the ball/bird. What are these rules?

#1 donnie, Oct 2, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2004
  2. badmad

badmad Regular Member

is it something to do with cricket ball tampering and breaking the shuttlecock feathers? :confused:

3. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Umm.... You don't Actually use ur Hands ^^"???... i've never played Cricket b4, but yea...... =p

4. TTT

TTT Regular Member

well, it's not a "rule" but in all three sports, one of the techniques is to induce spin on the ball/bird to change its trajectory.

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    The obvious badminton one is the shuttle has to land inside two lines when being tested which would limit speed to a certain level, to a certain extent.

As for football the balls have been getting quicker over recent years so I doubt there is a rule trying to limit speed in that particular game, also with the improvements in football boot technology the game is even faster.

Cricket :eek:

6. donnie

donnie New Member

In the game of cricket, the bowler, that's the guy who sends the ball towards the wicket at speeds up to 160 km per hour is not allowed to bend his elbow. He must bowl the ball with a straight over head arm motion. If he was allowed to bend his arm at the elbow and throw like a baseball pitcher, the ball could be released at a much higher speed.

One down and two to go.

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

There is no spped specific control law in badminton unles you are compairing service delivery of the game projectile, in badminton you must serve underarm for all intents and purposes.

As for football, how can you limit speed of the ball?

8. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    I'm not sure about this one, however, I've heard that in soccer/football you can't wear shoes/boots that have a hard molded instep. Such a design allows you to send the ball at higher velocities, as well as easily inducing the knuckle-ball or floating effect where it doesn't spin at all. I heard this "rule" back when Adidias first introduced their Predator boots. In North America, the TV commercials featured Mia Hamm of the women's US squad blasting the ball into the goal with the above technique.

9. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    In badminton, aren't there specific rules governing the size (of head), weight, and length of racquets? I believe those would place a limiting effect on how fast you could send the shuttle.

10. donnie

donnie New Member

When the ball goes out of bounds on the sidelines of the soccer field, the ball is returned into play with a throw-in. The ball must be thrown into play by holding it with two hands and starting the throw from behind the head and keeping both feet on the ground. This limits the distance a player can throw the ball from 10 to 30 meters. This compares with the soccer goaler who has no throwing restrictions and can throw the ball 40 to 60 meters.

Two down and one to go

11. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Hmmmm what's the width of a soccer field?

12. Dill

Dill Regular Member

That doesn't really limit the speed of the ball moving since some people can throw the ball (shy) it in from the sidelines roughly 3/4 of the width of the field whereas others only about 10 metres, and although both feet must remain on hte ground you can take a good run at it and not be penalised.

And as you point out it limits distance and not speed (yes I know the two are linked) but the throwin is about presicion not speed.

13. donnie

donnie New Member

And finally

A badminton serve must be executed with the whole racquet head being discernibly below the whole hand as per rule 9.1.6. This affects the speed of the bird by forcing the server to use wrist flexion on forehand serves and wrist extension on backhand serves. If the server breaks rule 9.1.6 and raises the racquet head beyond the rules allowable limit he can then use forearm rotation to execute a quicker, snappier serve with less back swing. This rule is considered to be so important by the International Badminton Federation that it is the only service rule that is presented in a diagram in the rule book See diagram 9.

And my point is?

Cricket, soccer and badminton are three great international games that have developed rules to limit ball and bird speed in certain situations. Cricket and soccer players seem to have accepted these restrictions as necessary parts of their games. The same is not true in badminton. Too many players feel that rule 9.1.6 can be broken without affecting the results of the serve.

14. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I think "limit" has to be read as "prevents from reaching maximum" rather than imposing a specific upper limit.

e.g. in cricket, straight arm bowling will always be slower than if the bowler could bend his arm. The actual speeds involved are irrelevent. The end result is a speed that is sub-maximal.

15. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Exactly! That's why I asked what the width of the field was. Some players can throw incredibly far! Throw-ins in the opposing end of the field are like free kick opportunities to them *LOL* :D.