Candra and Sigit

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Chesire Cat, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Chesire Cat

Chesire Cat Regular Member

Journalist at The Jakarta Post
    Yes! It is true..
    Candra and Sigit will be partners again and they already started practising together since last week.

Yesterday when I visited the national training center I had the opportunity to ask Candra about it and he said it was 99.99% :D However I could not find Sigit because he was doing some exhibition game in Palu, somewhere in Sulawesi. I will try to call Sigit today to confirm about it :D

About the report...be patient...I will write it today :D

2. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    2005 World Champions--Sigit and Candra ?

Chesire,

Thanks for the news !!! Finally I can see my favourite pair play again. Hopefully they would come for the Singapore Open. I'm sure they can get a seeding for next year's World Championships.

What about Halim, Trikus, Flandy and Eng Hian ? I really pity Halim, he didnt got a chance to play in the Thomas Cup and Olympics.

3. Chesire Cat

hello fook

the pair's main target is all england and world championship for sure...
    i dunno about halim and tri kus. candra told me that maybe they would be paired because they lost their partners as well :D

flandy and enghian r doing fine :D but i didn't see them at the center yesterday...wonder where they had gone LOL probably took a holiday or something? Just like the "honourable" taufik hidayat he took a holiday to lombok islands (i heard about it)

hehe..sorry i am being a bit cynical about taufik cos ...hmmm...he's not nice to other people LOL including journalists

eva (the cat? or the journalist? LOL :D)

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Cause for joy, I am sure, for the Indonesian fans. They have always done better with one another than with other players (Tony G. excepted).

5. Chesire Cat

hi cappy

yep...i am sure many of candra/sigit fans just like fook will be happy with the news...howveer..i do have some doubts since they're not young anymore....could they manage to reach their targets? let's wait and see

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    yes!

I am very happy now. I can see them at all england. They are a delight to watch whoever their opponents are.

wish them good luck from Badminton forum (and ask them to join too!)

7. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    Can you post the article here ?

8. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Excellent news! Candra and Sigit is one my favourite pairs. They're showmen, especially Sigit! They are always fun to watch. I hope they make it back o the top -- they've been much missed and international tournaments have been less exciting without them!

:)

9. Chesire Cat

Candra and Sigit reunited again [font=Arial, Helvetica]

Eva C. Komandjaja, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Emerging at the age of 22 as 1997 world champions, Candra Wijaya and Sigit Budiarto stepped out of the shadow of their seniors 1996 Olympic champions Rexy Mainaky and Ricky Subagja.

Their glory days were soon over, however. In 1998, Sigit was banned from competing for a year by the International Badminton Federation (IBF), after he was found guilty of using steroids.

The pair was reunited by men's doubles coach Christian Hadinata in 2001, and they managed to win the Japan Open.

They parted ways after the 2003 World Championships in Birmingham, England, as Sigit returned home with a knee injury.

But are soon to be reunited for a third time, eying the 2005 World Championships in Anaheim, the U.S., next August.

"I am ready to team up again with Sigit," Candra, who previously paired with Halim Heryanto, told The Jakarta Post over the weekend. "We started training together last week and everything went well. I hope that all three of us (including Christian) are equally committed, and have the same targets."

Candra and Sigit have their sights set on the 2005 All England title next February.

"We want to compete in many tournaments and will focus on the All England and World Championships," Candra said.

Now 29, he realizes they may have less chance of winning those tournaments than Indonesia's younger pairs of Alven Yulianto/Luluk Hadiyanto and Hendra Setiawan/Markis Kidho.

"Sigit and I have talked about our target. We agreed to give it a go for a year, before we decide whether or not to continue with our partnership," Candra said.

Contacted separately by the Post, Sigit confirmed the reunion plan.

"Candra and I have talked it over. So far, we're just practicing together. I don't know yet when we will compete in international events as a pair," he said.

Christian also declined to elaborate on the plan, saying he needed to discuss it with the two shuttlers first. "I don't know when I can announce that they're officially paired," he said.

Candra and Sigit were first paired in September 1996 by coach Atik Djauhari, after which their careers really took off.

After they spilt up due to the doping case, Candra teamed with Tony Gunawan in 1998, who is now playing for the U.S. They won the 1999 All England and Malaysian Open, Chinese Open and Japan Open in 2000, before finally grabbing the Sydney Olympics gold medal that same year.

Candra and Sigit teamed up in 2001, but their failure in last year's world championships separated them again.

The fire-and-ice combination of the two shuttlers -- technically and psychologically -- has created a communications gap between them. Candra is known as a disciplined shuttler, while Sigit considers that his great talent allows him to train as he likes.

As they prepare to reunite, Candra says he has no sour feelings toward Sigit over their separation. "I want to show the world that there are no hard feelings -- we're willing to be partners again," he said.
    [/font]

10. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    i like to add one thing to the bolded part. is that IMO Sigit likes to throw what ever shots he feels like throwing, whenever he wants to. i think his very odd choices of shots not only make it hard for his opponents but makes life difficult for his partner as well ie double edge sword.... very sharp double edge sword :D

just my two cents tho.

11. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    A sportmanship from Candra and a showmanship from Sigit are always create the best phere in men double even.

They are one of my favorite pairs.
    Great to see them reunited again for the 3rd time. ;)
    I hope that they can do their best in their carrier before they retire.

12. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    I waited long for this day. This is a great news man !!! I hope it will be confirmed.

I oso agree that Sigit is a bit daring at some times. He often does outrageous shots and very deceiving dummies. But Candra seems to understands what he's really trying to do, both of them rarely clash.

Sigit's defence is awsome, he's always doing shots behind his back and through his legs. While Candra makes up the offence, his smash is really hard and. Together, they form a deadly pair.

Can we make a recall of what they achieved in the past ?
    World Champions 1997 and runner-ups 2003.
    All-England runner-up 2001

13. novl

novl Regular Member

Financial Advisor

Thanks for sharing the happy news with us. Maybe they finally realized that it was their biggest mistake in their badminton career to split up. Better late than never (1 Olympic gold medal too late, though). What I didn't understand from this article is why Candra said that he had no sour feelings toward Sigit? It wasn't Sigit's idea to end the partnership, right? As I recall, Sigit was surprised and shocked to hear that the partnership was over after losing the World Championship final in 2003. It makes you wonder whose idea it was, but anyway, let's hope they can still challenge the top doubles players and finish their career on a good note.

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Good to hear that.. maybe they will have another go at the world championship title or maybe....2008 Olympics?

15. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

did anyone catch the tourney's won by kdm/ha and candra/sigit are very similar?

----------------------KDM----------------------------------CANDRA
    ALL ENGLAND----------2w-----------------------------------2 w and 1 ro

World Champs-------1 w and 1 ro---------------------------1 w and 1 ro

Olympics-------------1 gold, 1 bronze-------------------------1 gold

dun know the rest, cuz they won so many....:p

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    In the past, this pair never failed to excite and were considered by many to be an ideal pair. However, when they started losing, they were separated once again, the decision maker (?) perhaps thinking that it was the best solution for them with at least a few months training and preparation with a new partner before the Olympics.

As it turned out, Candra didn't even qualify with Halim and Sigit tried his best with new partner, Trikus (better known for his XD exploits than MD), in the Athens Olympics but never quite find the form to win as he had done so four years ago with Candra. It was a great shame that Sigit and Candra had no chance to play together to defend their title (Candra & Tony Gunawan)!

Whilst, many of us hope that this combination will again prove to be a winner, alas, IMHO, I think both have gone past their prime and with age ever catching up fast, I'm afraid their chances are much slimmer than before.l The last time I saw them in action with their new partners in KL, they both did not exhibit that kind of flare and speed that we are accustomed to expect from them. With up-and-coming young stars from around the world as well as from fellow compatriots, it makes the task much more difficult for Candra & Sigit to make a triumphant comeback.

I could only wish them well and hope that they can win at least one major before their retirement.

#16 Loh, Oct 6, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sorry folks for causing some confusion in names. It was Candra who partnered Tony Gunawan, not Sigit, to win the Sydney Olympics MD crown from Lee Dong-Soo & Yoo Yong-Sung 15-10, 9-15, 15-12 four years ago.

Therefore Candra was the most disappointed man, less so for Sigit. Somehow Sigit just can't get off my mind. Goes to show how fantastic this player is, creative, daring and never say die. When talking about the Indonesian team now, Tony's name doesn't quite register, perhaps because he is quite well-settled in his faraway adopted country, the USA.

18. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    :eek: So it is going to happen...mission impossible!?

It is the best piece of news I have heard (read) this week :) Please pass on some of our messages and Joy to Candra and Sigit :cool:

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sigit is the "wizard" in badminton to me. All the shows he put on, make me pumping fist and jumping out of my chair each time. After both new pairs relatively failed to achieve the goal, time for the old parnter/rivalry to give another (maybe last?) shot.

Hope they can put the off court issues aside, and shine in 2005. Now, 1 more reason I need to purchase the WC2005 tickets. :p

20. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    This piece of news must've gotten badminton fans into a frenzy (well, some at least). They're my most favourite doubles pair and Sigit is my favourite player of the two - flamboyant, full of flair, a showman, yet a gentleman on and out the court, unlike some of the newer generation of primadonnas.

As LB said, court issues of the past to be put away and back to the old days.
    I hope it'd be their most fitting swansong to emerge world champions of 2005.