Left Hander Vs Right Hander

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by daz24sg, Oct 5, 2004.

1. daz24sg

daz24sg Regular Member

Student
    I was told that those left handed players are naturally better off, more talented than right handed players because they are able to visiualise better due to them using the right side of the brain.

At the same time, I was also told that the shuttlecock spins in a different direction when hit by a left hander.

Can I please have your opinions on the above mentioned points? Thank you. :confused:

2. Jaguar

Jaguar Regular Member

I'm a lefty but I don't know about "naturally better off, more talented" as
    I don't see it in me. But I do know that I have the advantage because it
    confuses the opponents sometimes. Especially you're in a doubles or
    mixed doubles game and your partner is a right-handed.

I do agree that the shuttlecock spins in a different direction because I was
    told by a lot of people who play against me, but......sadly it doesn't always work.

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

When a right-hander(RH), hits a forehand slice, the shuttle (seen from behind) spins anti-clockwise.
    When a left-hander(LH), hits a forehand slice, the shuttle (seen from behind) spins clockwise.

For a RH, shots with slice go slower than shots with reverse slice.
    For a LH, shots with reverse slice go slower than shots with slice.

When a RH plays a RH
    a RH receiving slices on the forehand side, the shuttle comes slower
    a RH receiving reverse-slices on the backhand side, the shuttle comes faster.

but when a RH plays a LH
    a RH receiving reverse-slices on the forehand side, the shuttle comes faster
    a RH receiving slices on the backhand side, the shuttle comes faster.

Because there are less LH than RH, LH regularly play against RH, but RH rarely play against LH.
    So it probably takes RH a while to get used to the different way the shuttle travels when a LH slices it.

4. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Visualisation & creativity

Even IF visualization (visualisation) is a right-brain operation & lefties use their right hemishpere to control their dominant arm, there is NOT necessarily a correlation between handedness and the ability to visualize. I'm not sure that we (lefties) are any more creative than righties on the whole either, but I could be wrong.

Visualization & creativity are both certainly useful in most sports but I don't think that lefties have a corner on the market. Have you seen any studies or journal articles to indicate that there is a correlation?

Lefties do have some advantages when playing against righties in both singles & doubs. Both lefty & righty game plans are generally built around playing against a righty. When a righty comes across a lefty opponent, they have to change their usual plan of attack considerably. This may put them out of their comfort zone if they are not accustomed to playing against a lefty.

Oft times, the righty may forget or even not notice (for quite a while) that their opponent uses their LH. This problem is compounded when playing against a LH/RH (combination) doubles team. When facing a LH/RH doubles team, you must alsway be aware of who is in the front & who is in the back cuz their backhands are in different corners.

However, LH/RH teams can also have some disadvantages if the RH partner is not accustomed to playing with a LH partner. I can go into these problems if you wish.

5. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Spin diffs

Normal shots do not spin in the opposite direction for lefties. Spins differences occur when a lefty imparts a slicing/cutting motion to the shuttle.

The (forward) slice for a lefty is similar to the reverse slice for a righty. The reverse cut for a lefty is similar to the common (fwd) slice for a righty.

Many lefties have learned to cut a mean (forward) slice that spins very fast & dives very quickly upon crossing the net. This has to do with shuttle construction & the direction that a lefty cuts the shuttle.

An intermediate might brush (cut) only the cork when hitting slicing (cutting shots). However, for a more advanced cut, the player will line the racket face up with the approaching side of the shuttle, so that both the cork and the feather is contacted at the same time when brushing across it. This allows the player to impart more spin to the shuttle. (If properly hit, this technique should not harm the shuttle appreciably. You may detect that the tips of the feathers are frayed a bit if this technique is employed).

When a lefty employs this advanced cutting technique, they can often put more spin on the shuttle than a righty cuz of the way the feathers overlap. The regular righty cut goes in the same direction of the feather overlap. However, the normal cut for a left goes in the opposite direction... it goes against the grain, so to speak. Because, the lefty cut (or rightsy reverse cut) goes in the opposite direction of the feather overlap, the racket strings can grab the bird more readily and put a faster spin on the shuttle.

P.S.

There is one other factor that may or may not be significant... I don't know the answer to this one. When a shuttle is hit squarely (no cutting action), the bird should naturally spin in one direction. This spin is dictated (primarily) by the nature of the air turblence created by the overlap of the feathers.

When the shuttle is cut in one direction, it will add to the natural spin. However if the shuttle is cut in the opposite direction, it will counteract the natural spin & cause the shuttle to spin the the opposite direction.

The question arises... does the counterspin behave significantly different than the turbocharged (enhanced) natural spin? I suspect that there is some effect, but I don't know if it is significant.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  7. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

I am better just because people just dont care of my hand and they always clear it on my forehand smash and i'M also a very good smasher so. when they take time to check i got no advantage

8. bad-min-ton

bad-min-ton Regular Member

student
    don't u think it kinda sux if u play doubles and ur partner is a left handed person and ur right handed cuz there's always a gap in the middle or two rackets in the middle?

9. GTO-demon

GTO-demon Regular Member

student
    well...... i would like my doubles or mixed doubles partner to be left handed since i am right handed.... it's just me :p it feels better that way.. because if your left handed you could get mor left angled shots.. and so as right........... well that's what i think..... hope it helps ^^