graphite, high modulus graphite, ultra high modulus graphite

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by junjie, Oct 5, 2004.

1. junjie

junjie Regular Member

mechanical engineer
    Can someone educate me regarding the differences among these three (3) materials being used in rackets? The pros and cons of each material, the best material for racket manufacturing, etc.

Junjie

2. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    hard, harder, hardest, or

stiff, stiffer, stiffest, and

expensive, more expensive and most expensive :D

3. junjie

junjie Regular Member

mechanical engineer
    Hi,
    Thanks for that practical explanation!

Junjie

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    What about strength to weight ratio of high, higher and highest? :D

5. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    with such defination...flex racket all made with graphite? then flex racket is cheaper and lower end ?

6. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    The modulus to which they are referring is the modulus of elasticity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young's_modulus
    Essentially, it's a measure of a material's stiffness (as opposed to the stiffness of the shaft, which is a combination of both this and the shaft's cross-sectional area).

The terms aren't all that meaningful though, as different companies will almost certainly have different definitions of "high-" and "ultra high-" modulus.

There's more discussion here: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...et-That-Can-Take-40lbs.-String-Tension!/page3

Interestingly, I know Dinkalot ended up using a relatively low modulus graphite for the "Panda Power Ultra" (low compared to some of the prototypes at least - still high compared to other brands), because the higher modulus graphite was too brittle and meant the shaft snapped easily. As a result, the shaft is now very strong, yet still extremely stiff because of the triple-taper design.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Sketchy,
    Don't you have some Panda rackets to design or something, instead of answering a 6 yr old thread?!
    :p

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    when everything else is equal, high module graphite are stiffer, more brittle, and more expensive.

advanced player likes stiffer racket because that let them bring out their power. beginner player needs softer racket to help them with power. and that coincides perfectly with beginner racket being cheap and advanced racket more expensive.

however, stiffness also varies with thickness of the material. in fact, the stiffness increases with the 4th power of the diameter. so it is possible to get stiffer racket by increasing diameter (or play with different tapering).

eg. early aluminium bike frames. aluminium is a relatively soft material than then standard steel. in order to use them in bicycle frames, they have to make the tubing much thicker, so you can find that in general, Al frame have huge fat tubings.

9. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Lol. Didn't see that. Someone else revived it :(

I am in the process of designing something though. Dink didn't like the last one, so it's back to the drawing board...
    I think the general color-scheme has at least been narrowed down to one of three (normally that's what takes us the longest to agree on), and I have some ideas I really want to incorporate into the design.
    Anyway, I'm pretty sure Dink isn't waiting on me just yet - still has a little more testing to do, I believe.