AS Work - Badminton Serve

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by nsalah, Oct 6, 2004.

1. nsalah

nsalah Regular Member

Hi,

I'm new to this website so am probably posting in the wrong place so I apologize in advance. As part of my Physical Education AS Level I have to complete a peice of work on badminton. I have chosen to analyse the high service in singles.

:confused: However I am having great difficulty in how to break it down for say a complete beginner, any tips or ideas? Any comments to help regarding anything to do with execution or coaching tips of a high serve would be immensly appreciated.

Thanks, great site btw,:)
    Natalie

2. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    force x distance = power

basically.....improve the distance of your swing to the bird and use more FORCE!!!! haha ....

"use the force!!"

3. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

odjn-wan kenobi :D

#3 wedgewenis, Oct 10, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  4. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

front foot points towards the net

one hand holds the shuttle out and infront - not beside the body
    in front and slightly to the side

the shuttle must be droped before it can be hit .. so you have to drop it at a comfortable distance from the body or your other arm will be choked up when you try to hit it.. or you will have to reach out for it.. this also has an effect on how hard you can hit it... if the shuttle is held too high it will be difficult to get power (rules also state that the shuttle must be hit below waist level)

power is generated by raquet head speed.

- the best speed is created by a smooth swing .. most players start thier swing either very high (some even above thier heads) ..it swings down and up again and the shuttle is hit somehwere in the middle (preferably infront). Raquet holding arm's elbow starts off bent and as it swings down to the underside of the shuttle the arm straightens out ... just before contact the wrist/and forearm are accelerated so as to whip the raquet through the shuttle.

- along with this swing is a turn of the hips ..and the distribution of wheight from the rear foot to the front

- the fallow through is up on the opposite side.

#4 wedgewenis, Oct 10, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    -Shuttle should be held, cork facing down, by the sticks of the feathers of the shuttle (where the string wraps round the feathers)

-hold it at a comfortable distance away from your body somwhere between eye level and shoulder height.

-the hips should be perpendicular to the net, front (non racket ) foot pointing towards the net.

-arm is mainly personal preference, but comfortably outstretched (elbow not bent in more 60 degrees from straight) ideally IMO the arm should belower than the shouder, by about 30degrees.

-through the swing the arm should remain comfortably bent (not changing angle) it is a swing, not a stroke.

-hips should rotate, and weight balance moves to front foot. Eyes should remain on shuttle, letting go at suitable time. To let go It is important that the fingers simply open to lett the shuttle naturally drop (dont throw the shuttle out, up, towards you, down)

-at the moment of contact protonate the wrist.

-follow through with the racket over you shoulder (so your wrist is about at shoulder height)

-move to the part of the court suitable to the direction of the serve, in the ready position.

Each step should be simple and repeatable, so to reduce errors, and thus increase consistency. the serve sets up th rally, so needs to be where you want it to be everytime, so you have more control over the situation.

#5 jamesd20, Oct 10, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The most common error on the high serve is to make the trajectory too flat. This is because people aim for the back line, when they should aim instead to hit the shuttle extremely high. Both methods reach the back line, but the higher serve cannot be intercepted early, and forces the receiver to deal with a vertically falling shuttle.

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    BTW Gollum, were you able to introduce a modified form of high service, or any kind of service, to the 'special' group you were introducing badminton to? Hope they are enjoying the game in a special way. :)

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    imo, there must be a surprise component in the high serve in doubles, and know when to use it and when not to

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Han Jian's Teaching Method For High Service

This is found in Han Jian's book "Basic Skills of BADMINTON', which is a good revision for myself.

Positioning

1. Position yourself two or three feet behind the short service line.
    2. Lead with your left shoulder (applies to right-handed player throughout).
    3. Your knees should be slightly bent.
    4. Keep your body relaxed.
    5. Lead with your left foot at an angle (about) 45 degrees to the net (facing opponent).
    6. Your rear right foot should be pointing about 45 degrees to the short service line.

Holding Racquet & Shuttle

1. Hold your racket up (with your right hand usually bent at the elbow) at a level between your chest and your stomach. (I prefer to hold it higher.)
    2. Hold the shuttle (at feather stems just above the cork) with your left hand slightly in front of you at waist level. (The comfortable distance depends on player's build, I would think.)

The Swing

1. When you swing your racket back (Back swing), bring it back to almost shoulder height. (I normally do it higher.)
    2. When you reach the maximum point during the back swing, bring your racket down and start your forward swing.
    3. Your racket should finish in front of you at shoulder level when you complete your forward swing.
    4. Weight Transfer: Take note, as you swing your racket forward, shift your bodyweight from the rear (right) foot to the leading (left)foot. Do this naturally following the rhythm of the stroke.

Contacting the Shuttle

1. To contact the shuttle, let it drop slightly in front of you so that you can contact (hit) it near your body.
    2. Don't throw or drop the shuttle too far by the side. This may result in a fault (because your racket frame cannot point downwards when you have to bring your racket out sideways to contact the shuttle). (Fault when you serve hiting the shuttle when your racket is pointing upwards.)
    3. Having the shuttle away from you will also make it more difficult to control it.
    4. Follow through with the racket until it reaches the left side of your head.

The high service is regarded as a defensive service commonly used in singles. Serve high and deep into the baseline so as to put yourself in a less vulnerable position. In the case of the high service, you can use more arm movement and less wrist action in order to gain more accuracy and consistency as you have the luxury of time to execute it. The good point about this service is that it forces your opponent back to the baseline and open up his court.

Hope this is helpful. :)

10. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Just a couple of tips I've found useful when teaching beginners. Some people struggle with the cadence of the action as a whole. The tip is to allow them to walk into the serve (techically a foul but not important when learning). This also promotes a natural, flowing action and in turn a full extension of the arm through impact.

The other common problem can be slicing the serve. So my second tip is to allow them to use a pan-handle grip. Not one for the purists but it really does work.