NEWS : Some 400 athletes to compete in world junior badminton championships in B.C.

Discussion in 'World Junior Championships 2004' started by kwun, Oct 6, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    [size=+0][size=+2]Some 400 athletes to compete in world junior badminton championships in B.C.

[/size]
    SLAM sports.

VANCOUVER (CP) - The world junior badminton championships are coming to Canada later this month.

More than 400 of the world's best junior players will be competing in Richmond, B.C., during the Oct. 21-30 tournament. "With less than a month to go, we are on course for hosting the best ever world junior badminton championships," Ajay Patel, chief executive officer of Badminton BC, said in a release Wednesday.

Bill McNulty, Richmond's acting mayor, said the event will help prepare the city for the 2010 Winter Olympics. The Games speed skating oval will be built in the city, which borders on Vancouver.

"The 2004 world junior badminton championships is an excellent opportunity for the people of Richmond to gain valuable experience," said McNulty.

This is the first time that a world junior badminton championship has ever been held in North America.

Former junior world champions include badminton greats Gao Ling, Gong Ruina and Peter Gade.

An estimated 10,000 spectators from approximately 30 countries are expected to attend the 10 days of competition.

[/size]

2. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Oh boy I can't wait. :D Glad I've got my tickets already!!!!

3. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    #3 jump_smash, Oct 7, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2004