footwork question

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by happy kid, Oct 9, 2004.

1. happy kid

happy kid Regular Member

student
    i am a right hander.i run very slowly to the overhead corner.my friend told me 2 use my left food to hop one step first,than turn and do the normal footwork.is this corret?:confused: what is the use of this little hop?

#1 happy kid, Oct 9, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  2. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    he's right, it works. My coach says the beginner footwork is the "normal" one where you side skip right foot back all the way back to backhand corner, but to get there faster, use left foot to hop first, then turn, so its actually, if you have strong enough legs, 3 steps! its good.

3. bad-min-ton

bad-min-ton Regular Member

student
    that's still kinda slow, 3 steps. should be around 2. by the way. it sumtimes depend of your weight.

4. kontrabando

kontrabando Regular Member

IT Manager
    I saw a lot of thread about footwork drills. You may need to search for them in this site. Advanced players doesn't need the left foot hop as they have strong legs. If you're coming from the middle (the base when you're playing singles), try to anticipate the direction of the shuttle early and cover the overhead with two steps (right foot, sidewards) and a jump back. That would give you ample time to do a good overhead.