Brighton/Lewes East Sussex

Discussion in 'UK' started by MaxThomas, Oct 10, 2004.

1. MaxThomas

MaxThomas New Member

Hi

I have recently returned to the game after a few years and wanted to know if anyone could help me with the following

> does anyone know of any good clubs in the lewes/brighton area?

> does anyone want a practice partner? I used to play to a high ( club standard ) level..... probably need a bit of practice to dust out the old cobwebs though! ( this makes me sound old but I'm only 29! :) )

would greatly appreciate any feedback/help
    many thanks
    Max

2. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Sorry Max but Sussex badminton is not what it was a few years ago. This is most obvious at club level. There are really only 3 clubs left in Sussex that play to a high standard, these being Worthing Non-descripts, Springfield Athletic (Hastings) & Horsham Arun. Chelwood Gate (Newick) are also relatively competitive. Not what you wanted to hear, I suppose, as none are based near you.

Of the clubs in Brighton/Lewes you have Stanford Penguins, Lancing or Portslade. All of these play at Portslade Community College. If you have lots of money you could join Brighton Health and Racquets Club. They have first class facilities and, although badminton is a third class citizen there, this is probably your best bet. But it doesn't come cheap. Lewes YMCA are still going but are a shadow of their Division 1 glory days.

Those are your choices. Take it seriously, but get used to travelling for badminton. Spend money. Or settle for a lower standard club.

Whatever you decide send me a PM and I will be more than happy to put you in touch with the relevant people.

3. MaxThomas

MaxThomas New Member

Thanks so much for the reply...... not great news I guess..... I had already tried the Brighton Health & Racket club but just laughed when I heard how much they wanted to charge me:eek: !!!!! how can anyone afford to play there?

Think I may give the Lewes YMCA a try to see what level they are - may be a nice gradual way back into the sport perhaps - I'll pop down to Portslade and have a look around as well - could you please give me the contact details of Chelwood Gate - as these are probably the closest to me

many many thanks for your help
    Max

4. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

No problem. Check your PM around Monday. I should have all the info by then. :)

5. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

I haven't forgotten Max, give me a little longer.

6. MaxThomas

MaxThomas New Member

7. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Cool,

Have PM'ed you anyway re club contacts.

Slants