Pain in the knee

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by ironchef, Oct 10, 2004.

1. ironchef

ironchef Regular Member

Hi, i injured my knee yesterday, it is an acute pain in the right knee, the front left inner part of it. whenever my knee makes a certain angle, such as in walking, it hurts. I think it's a sprained ACL...

but I don't know that much about injury? Anyone have any suggestions on how to heal quickly...does RICE really work(Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation)? I've heard that you actually want heat to promote blood circulation which in turn promotes healing. Ice the first 24 hours and then heat???

Here is a picture...no it's not my legs haha.

[​IMG]

#1 ironchef, Oct 10, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  2. ironchef

ironchef Regular Member

the picture is not very clear...the red and green circle is where the pain is.

3. socko

socko Regular Member

Work
    Knee Pains?

Hi there,

I've had alot of trouble with my left knee before. I'm no expert but I've seen more than my fair share of physios. I'm assuming that you have been playing too much and that your knees haven't bothered you before.

Righty, first of all, RICE is your best option for the first week of the injury. Don't put any heat on it because heat will make the pain worst because it will promote swelling. RICE and if there's swelling try to keep yor horizontally above 90 degrees.

IMHO it could be anything from a meniscal tear (that's a good one to have coz they can just stick an arthoscope in you knee and repair it and that's done) to a patellar tendon injury (this one sux, it's rest rest and more rest). So I suggest that if it doesn't feel any better by a week to go see a physio. Remember not to play if it hurts even while walking, I know it's tough. ;)

Good luck on your recovery.

Regards

4. ironchef

ironchef Regular Member

thanks...yeah cause i need to get better before world jrs...i'm playing in the individual event for US...we'll probably crash out first round but still I'd like to go completely healthy.

5. athoos

athoos New Member

designer
  6. ironchef

ironchef Regular Member

I took a week off, iced my knee for the first 3 days, wore a magnetic therapedic brace every day (which I don't know if it actually works) and then used heat pads for a day or two, all while taking advil once a day. The pain was gone in 6 days. The doctor took x-rays and they came out negative (thankfully) but he said I had inflammation of the soft tissues (meaning ligament) and that I should take 2-3 weeks off...but if the pain goes away, then I can play.