Need someone to play in Brisbane

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jen, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Jen

Jen Guest

Hi all,
    I need some one to play badminton in Brisbane
    I will be going there on 5 July, anyone instereste please reply me

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Check out dragon club. I haven't got the link but navigate your way through Australian badminton websites and it's there.
    Dragon plays at one of the Universities in Brisbane, The Uni people have a session on Sat/Wed.
    Brisbane Uni may not be so friendly - I got refused point blank. Later, whilst playing at the other Uni, one of the guys said I should go to Brisbane Uni to play. Uh uh, had a distinct lack of enthusiasm, get my drift?

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    refusal before really knowing you and playability,is there another ugly reason that i'm afraid to ask here? I heard 'things' about austraila people.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

that's odd, here is their homepage introduction

Welcome to the Dragon Badminton Club!
    šgÓ­ÉWÅRýˆÓðëÇò•þ¾Wí“…¢Ó^

We are a brand new club, with a brand new concept, organised by many committed, keen and experienced badminton enthusiasts. We introduce our club with new approaches, hitting Badminton with a difference at the Millennium. We welcome anyone to our club, locals or passing-by visitors. We hope everyone will feel so welcomed after their first visit, they will come back every time after! We want everyone to feel they are part of the club, and that the club is part of them. Our club is a all-in-one and one-in-all club.

Badminton is a sport we should all promote and support in every corner of the world, so keep playing Badminton! (Site updated June 2001)

5. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

As an Australian I should comment here

Australians in the cities really aren't racist. Sure in the country areas there are some problems, but that's pretty much the same the world over. I'm surprised that Brisbane Uni gave problems since my brother just started playing there this year and is only a beginner and he didn't have issues. Badminton in Oz is also very much an Asian game, you'd see less than ten percent non-Asians at a lot of city clubs, including probably Brisbane Uni. Okay I haven't been there for a long time, but have played against Brisbane Uni before and the members of their team seemed pretty cool.

They may be like my old club, Melbourne Uni. Now that is really beginnger unfriendly. If you're new, and a good player, they'll welcome you with open arms, if you a newbie, then they tend to ignore you, sad but true (my club is 95% Asian).

Please don't think Australian's are racist to Chinese, they really, as a general rule aren't.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Re: As an Australian I should comment here

pecheur, nice to see u lurking around badmintoncentral. Your comment on australia's badminton scene is refreshing as i have no idea what is like 'down' there. Amazingly, it sounded very similar to canada too. Most local badminton clubs are comprised of 85 to 90% asian. However, private high end clubs have mostly (75%) non-asian. I guess when courts become scare, people will start using various excuses to discourage new entrance

7. Jen

Jen Guest

I found out Dragon Club train in Griffith University

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: As an Australian I should comment here

Only spoke to one contact person from Brisbane Uni Badminton whichi is not indicative of the club as a whole.

It maybe a case of 'reverse prejudice' - English accent over the phone without mentioning my name. I have not bothered to remember theperson's name. Such details are irrelevant.

Not tried Melbourne Uni. Is Han Ai Ping there?

9. Ximus

Ximus New Member

Looking for players

Hi Jen,
    I need some one to play badminton too so mail me at tachyons76@yahoo.com or ring me at 0412097716.The only problem is just location.We have to find an indoor court to begin with.

I'm in Oxley,Brisbane

10. Ximus

Ximus New Member

any indoor badminton court?

Fellas, where can I go for badminton other then the Dragon club.I have all my gears and can't wait to play.

So please let me know asap.

Cheers

Michael

11. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member