how to make a big banner?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by kwun, Oct 11, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a few times members have suggested making a BC banner for members to bring to events. i think that is a cool idea. :cool:

the title graphics for the website is a good candidate for the banner.

but how do one actually get it made? how much would it cost?

any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    You can get it done at Kinkos for pretty much any width (up to 3 or 4ft depending on the printer they have that location) and then as long as you want. i've done it before for posters and an accompanying banner. The pricing goes by the square foot. Things add up quickly though, it's around $10-12/sq.ft. Cdn here in Vancouver for this type of service from the times I've done it.

In the old days, I'd just fire up "Print Shop" and then fire it off on my dot matrix printer. Don't see any programs for that any more that runs on my win2k system.

If anyone can find me such a program, I'd volunteer to print it out and bring it to the World Juniors Tournament coming up in a few weeks. :D

P.S. Good idea to laminate it. Paper will rip pretty fast.

#2 604badder, Oct 11, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  3. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Well you have two choices, you could get a fabric type banner, which is probably the best in terms of life and movability, basically printed on the plasticised top layer with fabric underneath. Or you would get in printed on paper and laminated, whilst this will last for a while, it is a pain to manoeuvre since you can't move it around and roll it up easily.

Actually I have an A0 plotter at work which could make a HUGE banner, however laminating it would be painful and transporting it impossible since you wouldn't be able to roll it.

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    If you could, hire about 1000 people and make them to raise colored boards. :) It would be awesome!!
    Other than that.....printing at Kinkos sounds like a good idea.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i prefer the fabric type. as you said, longer lasting and easy to carry.

anybody got some tips?

6. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    If you don't want to dish out $$$: borrow an old transparency projector, get some paint and a few metres of while fabric and paint it yourself. Takes 1-2 hours to make a simple motif like the BC graphics.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Mag's suggestion maybe the way to go. i looked into some pricing online and to do that in the US, a decent sized (3' x 6' or so) will cost around US$200. quite a lot of money!

however, if someone has good contact in Asia of a place who can do this service for cheap, i would love to hear...

8. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    What are the general views of tournament runners with regards to people bringing in advertising?

9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I think any advertising has to be paid for at competitions and in extreme cses the major sponsor would have influence on who can advertise.

The good thing that way is we would not be in direct competition with any other advertisment with the only possible exception being Badders.com in the UK although the competitions they sponsor have no large banner that I have seen...............yet ;)

10. hdson

hdson Regular Member

Heard that in Bras Basah they can make it (white plastic banner). Will check the price and inform you later.

11. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

There's a print shot near me that will make a fabric banner of around 3 feet by 12 feet for around $300 i think. I wasn't too impressed with the colors though.

What you could do is make a banner on computer and print out the letters one by one. (One letter per sheet, for example.) Cut out the outline and lay them on fabric. Spray paint the whole thing.

If you're good with paper and scissors, you can make it as complicated as you like. :)

There's lots of graffiti artists that will spray a very eye-catching banner for hundred, give or take some.

12. hdson

hdson Regular Member

PVC Banner made in Singapore

Checked with BBC Image @Bras Basah Complex this eve. A 0.82x2 sq.meter (2.69x6.56 sq.ft.) PVC banner is S$60 (~ S$3.4/sq.ft. or US$2/sq.ft.). Different sizes can. What we need is a Photoshop high-res image (80dpi or more) of what we want to print.

Sound cheap cheap lah :D

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks for looking!

do they make cloth banners too? cloth banners are easier to carry. :)

14. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Indeed, it will have to be cloth or it won't get into the arena. It needs to be soft and small enough to be smuggled in... ;)