Change of ends? ... when does this happen now?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by wedgewenis, Oct 11, 2004.

1. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

Is there a new rule for change of ends

i noticed while watching badminton taht the players change ends when someone gets to 8 points... am I right about that?

is this a new rule which came out of the 5x7 thing?

:confused:

2. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    No not new rule. Change ends after each set, and if a third set, change when first player reaches 8 points.

Only difference is if the game is to 11 points, change occurs at six points

Just Check IBF Laws as of 1st August 2002, Law 8.

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I'm sure you can find the most current rules under Badminton Laws.

However, changing ends during the third game only (rubber) when the side that first reaches 8 points (about half of 15 points) has been in place for a very long time, certainly not because of the 5x7 points (even less than 8 points).

I guess it is based on the concept of 'a level playing field" (in our case it is 'court') and to be fair to the players during the deciding game that they have a chance to share the court as equally as possible (point-wise). The reason being that one side of the court may be deemed by the players to be less favourable than the other, possibly because of the lights, the background and noise condition, but more so the direction of the wind (draft) if it is present. ;)