light racket only for weaker players true?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by surge, Oct 12, 2004.

1. surge

surge Regular Member

just interested to find out if most of you out there who are strong physically uses a heavier racket (2U or 3U). and if anyone uses a 5U racket as their main racket. thanks

is it also true that a 5U racket will not generate enough power for a good smash even if you have a good stroke?

thanks all!

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If your title is true, then tons of the current top 10 elites are "too weak", as many of them using MP88 (only 3u or 4u available), AT800 (only 3u or 4u available), etc.

The strokes are highly rely on techniques rather than the equipment. If heavier is always better, then, everyone of them should just use a tennis racket or even a baseball bat. :D

3. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    not true for the right person with the right kind of technique.

but i personally would be pretty much worthless on the court with that racquet however. :D

4. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    I all this it depends on the TYPE of stroke you use to hit the bird. Whether it be alot of shoulder or a lot of wrist. Wristy players can benefit from a light racket, while the shoulder type won't.

5. surge

surge Regular Member

based on what i have read from the forum, a strong player would use a heavier racket for power and strung it high tension to gain more control. does this equation works? assuming that a headheavy racket can give more power( which is true with my thunderbolt, needs little strength to produce a deep lob as compared to utlra light which requires a faster swing to achieve the same eff)ect

6. Arcos

Arcos Regular Member

from wat i know, a lighter racket loses momentum faster then a heavier racket due to interia, thus u need a faster swing speed to counter this effect while with a heavier racket, it can retain its racket speed better due to its greater interia.

Not 100% sure about this, pls correct me if i'm wrong :)

7. aerotus70

aerotus70 Regular Member

Not true...

depend on your preference and play style

8. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    As i said earlier, it depends on whether you use wrist or arm. Arm hitters can hit better with a heavy racket because they use their arm. With a light racket they'll probably swing it roughly the same speed, taking away a little power. As for wristy players,a heavy racket will make them swing slower and make their shots slightly slower.

High tension is only good if you can handle the tension. As you raise it, some shots become harder to excute, depending on how you swing.