Can anyone help with a Phys. Ed. assignment

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by DMG :S, Oct 14, 2004.

1. DMG :S

DMG :S New Member

Hey guys,
    I was just wondering if anyone could give me any info, websites or book titles that may help with my phys. ed. assignment :confused: The topic is "Badminton-Money, Media, Power and Physical Activity." The task is as follows:

"Australia is regarded as a sporting nation excelling on the world stage in a wide variety of sports. Racquet sports such as tennis and squash have long been a part of Australian life and have been dominated, at times, by Australia players. Tennis, in particular, has long captured the imagination of the Australian public drawing large crowds and substantial sponsorships to major tournaments.​
    Badminton, on the other hand, has not risen to such prominence in Australia. ​
    Compare participation in badminton in other countries with that in Australia. Focus on historical, social, economic, cultural, geographic, climatic, political and other factors to explain why differences exist.​
    Do you believe that badminton will ever enjoy the same popularity as other racquet sports in Australia? Justify your response based upon your research of the surrounding issues."​
    Anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated :D Also, can i get references for any info that you do supply me with. ​
    Thanks.​
    DMG :S​

2. klaw7891

klaw7891 New Member

what the hell? where is your school? I don't see how it is possible for any school in Australia to have an assignment on badminton. Badminton is basically non-existant here.

3. socko

socko Regular Member

Work
    Hi there,

Damn mate, sounds like a Uni assignment. I don't know websites that talk about these things but here are a few thoughts. I would love to do an assignment like this.

Climatic factors- Badminton is not as accessible in OZ because of the weather. Badminton needs to be played indoors because of the wind and of course winter. Unlike a tennis ball, a shuttle is too light, one light breeze and it ends up on the roof. In most Asian countries badminton can be played outdoors hence the huge take up.

Economic Factors- Compared to soccer, rugby, league and Auzzie rules, badminton is a relatively expensive sport because you need two rackets, shuttles, net and of course a court. But with all the other sports you can just get a ball and run around in paddock (doesn't make much sense to run around in a paddock by yourself, but hey hopefully you get the point)

Other Factors- Unlike many other sports you need a buddy to play badminton with. School work, office work, social lives often makes it difficult to get together for a game e.g. tennis you can play a full range of strokes against the wall but not for badminton.

Righty that's all from me.

Cheers

4. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

No problemo DMG! Just cut & paste the following...

Historically
    -People has played this in their own backyard and deemed it as a wussie sport

Socially
    -During the 1800's, it was considered anti-social because it was hard to have a spot of tea in one hand while trying to wack the birdie in the other while having a gentlemanly conversation with your opponents & partners

Economically
    -To make the feather shuttle, it required feathers from 16 left wings of geese which then left the geese handicapped with only their right wings. The manufacturer had to provide airline transportation for the geese so they can continue their south / north migration. Due to rising costs of transportation, only certain countries that does not need the geese to migrate caused the higher concentration of shuttle manufacturers in the areas such as Asia.

Geographically
    -see Economically regarding shuttle manufacturers

Climatically
    -once again, see Economically regarding shuttle manufacturers, because geese don't live in the North & South pole plus freezing temperatures causes the feathers to transform as down thus useless for shuttles

Politically
    -During the initial development of the feather shuttles, a large part of the country's GDP was focus on feathers. Other manufacturers such as pillows had to take the 3rd-6th lower grade of down from the assembly line. Union workers for the pillow representatives went to their local politician and gave them the first "tar and feather" causing the politicians to increase taxes on feather shuttles

Cyclonic Factor
    -The factor that leads up to this unbalance diversion of popularity throughout the world is the Fortune 500 company's ignorance of sponsorship. Without major sponsorship (ie/ prize money), grassroots players defer to choose such a career, causing less spectatorship, thus back to decreased revenues & sponsorship, thus the cycle begins again

Voila, your assignment is complete! If you don't agree with any of my PhD thesis, then please try to do the research yourself!

Cheers!

#4 Break-My-String, Oct 14, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  5. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    BWHAHAHAHHAA ... now THAT was funny :D

DMG, you gotta do a little research, THEN ask for help. Posters on this board are extremely friendly, dude ... but have a nose for cop-outs. Post up what you have, and you'll get lots of comments and insights, otherwise, BMS will put you in place with humor.

-dave