Hall of fame

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by badlittlecal, Oct 15, 2004.

1. badlittlecal

badlittlecal Regular Member

Student
    Pls post one badminton player's name from the past or the present which u think deserved a place in the badminton hall of fame if there is

2. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    Sigit Budiarto

Sigit Budiarto--He has such a solid defence. He can perform those trick shots, behind the back or through the legs. His smash is really strong, and he could jump especially high.

Unfortuately, he was acquitted of using drugs in 1998. And was banned for a year. His partnership with Candra was really strong in the past, he past partnerships with Dicky, Halim and Trikus were always in the top twenty.
    Now, he's back together with Candra. I wish him good luck and hope he can perform well at next year's World Championships.

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

4. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    Most of them are already over 50 and I am sure not many people here know them

5. IkEa_GawKie

IkEa_GawKie Regular Member

student and an amateur player of badminton
    i think it's LIEMSWI KING

6. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    That's what a "Hall of Fame" is for! :)

7. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Hall of Famers

Wow, look at how many tournaments Park Joo Bong won, incredible! :eek: And the time period is amazing too.

He won his first All England title in 1985, when Yonex had just introduced an all graphite racket and everyone else still had aluminium heads. He won his last All England in 1996 when Yonex were introducing titanium meshes into their rackets (I think the Ti-8 came out that year).

Out of the modern players, I think Gao Ling (3 Olympic gold medals) will probably make it, Ge Fei should too. Kim Dong Moon has been Player of the Year two years running (wonder who'll get it for 2004?), so he should make it. If it was a popularity contest, maybe Peter Gade or Camilla Martin would too, but I don't think they've won enough major titles to qualify. They've both won plenty but just not the most. If I had to pick a player for sheer courage and determination, it would be Gong Zhi Chao.

If I had to choose one player only, it would be KDM.

8. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Zhang Ning? :) (my pick at least)

9. lammergeier02

lammergeier02 Regular Member

My pick: Lin Dan and Peter Gade.

10. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    gong zhi chao should get in (hall of Fame) without difficulty. ;)

11. as5903

as5903 Regular Member

studen
    Camilla will be my pick. Anyway I don't understand why some don't consider her legendary. I mean isn't a world championship crown, an All England crown and an Olympic silver medal considered something really awesome in its own right...not the mention the other many wins.

12. lammergeier02

lammergeier02 Regular Member

Agree with as5903, I think Camilla will be on the list someday

13. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    Nhm!

well, camilla's achievements are commendable. but that's seeing she's been around for SO long. cf to others who have achieved as far in shorter period.

anyway, why wait til 'someday' if it is well-deserved? :confused:

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    FYI, Park won the 1985 All England and World Champs using a racquet with a metal frame (even though Yonex had already introduced the all graphite racquet). His racquet (and his partner's) was the Yonex carbonex 9 (original version).

15. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

camilla is good, but do u think she deserves to be in the hall of fame??? hall of fame are for LEGENDARY players who win NUMEROUS big tourneys... such as the world championships once or twice. compared to the ppl in the hall of fame, she is not considered to be as good

16. Bresis

Bresis Regular Member

Ge Fei/Gu Jun

I think Ge Fei and Gu Jun deserve to be in the hall of fame..2 consecutive olympic gold medals and numerous BIG tourneys champions..and didn't lose any match for almost 2 years (if i m not wrong) :p

17. *GaDe~CaMiLlA*

*GaDe~CaMiLlA* Regular Member

Student, Multimedia Designer
    My pick will be susi susanti and camilla martin...
    because susi has won the olympics before...
    and camilla also has won all the tournament before...so they are the hall of fame!!!!!!! ;) :D :) :p

18. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

susi, ge fei, kdm, and gao ling for sure... ra kyung min and gu jun might also... maybe, who knows??

SIGIT??? he's a good player and all, but never reallly won olympics... candra and tony have a much better chance to go to hall of fame than him... my pic is candra out of the 3, for sigit was banned for some time and effected him, while tony is a one-time hitter (ie olympics, wc) he could have won more, but he chose to go to US, so...

#18 New_Guy04, Oct 17, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  19. libra

libra Regular Member

Someone above mentioned achieving a lot in a short time. On that comment, I'd be surprised if anyone picked Candra over Tony. Having won the Olympics with Candra, Tony still went on to win the All England and World Championships with Halim (considered a weaker player).

Current player deserving Hall of Fame status I'd say Kim Dong Moon/Gao Ling. No one else comes close.

20. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    I would also say KIM Dong Moon deserves it.

Tony Gunuwan should also be acknowledge for his vast accomplishment in a short period of time. When he was still in Indonesia, he was considered to be the #1 doubles player. Even Simon Archer, a British national player, as well as the coach thought so. It is too bad now that he's in the US where there isn't any good players who he can train and improve with. Despite this fact, he recently won a few tournaments with his newly formed partner Howard Bach. They didn't get paired up until after the 2004 Olympics when Kevin Han, Howard Bach's partner, decided to retire. That's only a 2 month period when they started playing together and yet they have won several doubles events. I think there will be many more titles in the future from these two players.

As for singles, LIN Dan should be recognized despite the bad experience in Athens. He too has accomplished so much in a short period of time. Although sometimes I do not like his arrogant and overconfident attitude.

#20 virusvoodoo, Oct 19, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2004