Who's The Fastest Female Single Player??

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by IkEa_GawKie, Oct 15, 2004.

1. IkEa_GawKie

IkEa_GawKie Regular Member

student and an amateur player of badminton
    Who's The Fastest Female Single Player Ever??????

2. other

other Regular Member

Student
    the fastest? what do you mean

3. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Perhaps some of the taller European ladies could probably break 100m in under 13.0s??

4. *GaDe~CaMiLlA*

*GaDe~CaMiLlA* Regular Member

Student, Multimedia Designer

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    First of all speed is not important in badminton, fast acceleration/deceleration is. we only have to move about 3m either direction. (over 30 times less distance than a 100m sprinter) however for want of a better word, speed will do.

Whilst speed is an important part of womens singles, it is by no means the most important (IMO), strokeplay, technique, consistency, fitness, and accuracy are bigger players. Therefore apart from being an impossible thing to measure, it is also largely, but not entirely immaterial.

Mens singles speed is much more important.

6. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    LOL, I was just joking about the 100m thing since he asked for fastest....!! :D

7. viver

viver Regular Member

Speed is one of the 5 main components the Chinese badminton coaches stress be it in men or women games, I believe. You need speed not only in your body movements but also in thinking. ;)

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Speed is oh-so-important in badminton. It's very humbling the first time I underwent multi-shuttle feed drill. Nothing made me more conscious about my lack of foot speed than those drills (besides playing against far superior players). Feels like I was standing still while the shuttles were hitting the corners just beyond my reach... even though I was trying hard as hell to move to them:eek:.

In this case, wouldn't a better term be agility rather than speed since acceleration is more important than plain speed in the sport?

9. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    players without any speed whatsoever in their foot work but excelent array of strokes..... what did someone call it already :confused: ?.................
    ah yes! :)
    = battlestar galactica :D

10. IkEa_GawKie

IkEa_GawKie Regular Member

student and an amateur player of badminton
    i mean the female single player that can play fast and smooth. and has a killer instinct in the court just like any other male single player.
    I think its Mia Audina. i like her i like her more before she defend netherlands:( :( or Yao Jie

11. viver

viver Regular Member

Speed is one of the principles in which the Chinese school of badminton bases on. To my understanding, speed does not only refers the players' physical ability - read technique execution speed, but also the speed in reading opponents' game.

Agility is a very important component of a player ability to perform the skills in a coordinated way. I also think the fitter you are the more agile you become.

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

And the question was??? ;)

What about dividing between movement around the court and reaction speed.
    In both cases hard to answer because the question is "of all time" and I know almost nothing of before the 90's :D
    I'll drop the first name then: Pernille Harder for movement around the court (slightly biased :p ). Saw her playing and she can really move but then again it is in doubles play so can't really compare to singles.
    As for reaction speed: Gao Ling maybe?

edit: Indeed "And the question was?" :eek: "SINGLE player"
    Susi Susanti then.

#12 demolidor, Oct 17, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Physical speed is not important in Badminton. To reach full speed you need to travel about 60m sprinting (upto 25 strides). In badminton you only move a maximum of 3 metres and maximum three strides. You cant reach full speed in that timje.

More important is acceleration/deceleration to move the 3m one way and 3m back as fast as possible.

I believe the thread was was refering to physical speed, not mental speed in stroke decision, tactics, opponent analysis.

I didnt say you required no speed(accel/deccel) (actually I said it is very important) I merely meant that it was not the most important component in the womens singles game. In the mens game it is.

Reaction speed can be important however, especially in doubles.

14. viver

viver Regular Member

Agree with most what you said. I also had the impression that the original question was about pure speed.

Only that in my opinion, speed is as important either in man's or woman's game. It is not as noticeable as in mens game but women's games are also fast. In recent times Gong Zhichao could be the example - she may not be tactically/stroke placement as good as Camilla but apparently she can outpace her on court. During the 80's a Korean teenage lady player impressed me a lot with her speed and power - Lee Young Suk(spelling?). If not mistaken she won a HK open title, beating on her way Li Lingwei and Han Aiping in the finals. Technically speaking, don't think the Korean player was superior than the Chinese players, but physically she was stronger and had good legs to run all court.

In my opinion, I would rank speed as important as power, precision, et... for the ladies games. ;)

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think we are talking about the same thing but using different words. Whether it is pure speed or acceleration, the ultimate thing to strive for is the ability to get to the shuttle faster than anybody else. Isn't this important? This is what separates the man from the woman, a young player from a much older player. :D

16. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I think we basically agree also :) and the difference is mainly the terminology as taneepak says.

Dont get me wrong, I agree speed/acceleration is a fundamental component of badminton, and it forms a pivotal part of my training.

The reason why I feel speed is is less important in the womens game is because of the types of games you get in womens games, they are more defensive, with longer rallies than the Mens games, so I feel stamina is more important.

Conversley they may simply play this style because they are not as fast as the men genetically to cope with the attacking game, (lets not go into that debate!) but speed within the game of this type is still as important.

Maybe It is as important (and of course it cant be a disadvantage). Maybe it just seems less important to me?!

BTW now gong zhi chao isnt as fit or fast as she was before she uses much more deception in her game now. Also I think Lee young souk won an all england too. Never saw her play though, i think she is studying In England now.

In answer to the original question, who is the fastest, well it is almost impossible to measure, but I think Mia is incredibly quick in the first part of matches (although she quickly loses her "fast" game).

#16 jamesd20, Oct 22, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  17. viver

viver Regular Member

That's right, we agree at most of the points. The ladies games, from my perspective is often more interesting than man - you can appreciate more the technical (beauty) part of the game. But apparently the ladies game is also becoming more and more to the 'power' side. Just look and Zhang Ning's arms - wedding photos.

Also agree with you that is almost impossible to say who is the fastest woman player - from the past games I watched, I would say Han Aiping; Lee Young Suk or Kristen Larssen appears to be physically faster on court - mean running.

Thanks for the info on Gong. Changing her style of play would be just normal. Don't think she could play forever the way she did. ;)

Since you are training in China, would you be kind enough to diarize your training? It would be interesting for us to learn the 'tortures' you are going through daily. :D

Regards,

18. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I would love to diarise, but Unfortunatley this time I havent actually done much training.

I have had an injured wrist up until a few weeks ago which had stopped me playing for 3months (footwork shadowing only :crying: ) And I have been busy visiting other towns and cities for various reasons as well. Most of my playing time has revolved around meeting friends from my last visit and having a few fun games.

I have done a little, but only with me as my coach in the mornings, when my real coach is working ( :crying: ) so unfortunatley Idont think that would give you much of an insight. I spend most of the time trying to get the feeling back for hitting the shuttle (when I play games it seems 50% shots go out or long, or too short) The rest of the time is spent doing excercises (fitness, coordination, flexibility) which arent that exciting. Sorry I cant be much help, but this trip has been more business, less holiday. :mad: :mad:

I only have two days left now, then I catch the train back to beijing :mad: :mad:

19. viver

viver Regular Member

Sorry to hear that you injured your wrist. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Practicing footwork while you have injured wrist/arm or feeding shuttles to your teammates when you have your foot injured - sounds familiar :(

20. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Thanks.

I have now got a hip injury!! and I leave 10 days before the China open starts. :crying: :crying:

I will be feeding the GF shuttles for the next month now!