Steroid injections

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by david14700, Oct 15, 2004.

1. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Has anyone here had any actual experience of receiving steroid injections for shoulder injuries?

I've just started a course of injections, 3 injections, 2 weeks apart. The drug is called dopa medrone and is supposed to be a very common steroid.

I'm asking because there seems to be a lot of debate about how effective it is and just what the side effects are.

Is it true that it doesn't actually heal the damage? Is it a pain relief treatment only? My doctor told me that after such a long time since the original injury, physical therapy would not be much good. It's either this or surgery.

Some medical web sites say that steroids are used to treat pain immediately after an injury is sustained, while others say that it can permanently remove pain after a few weeks or months. It's a bit confusing.

The pain isn't very bad, it's just annoying, a small tweak when I smash too much in a session. Using ice on it afterwards has kept it under control, but I just want to get rid of it and heal it fully.

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I don't know much about Depo-Medrone, but since shoulder injuries seem so common in badminton, I think it'll be useful if you report back your experiences with it.

A quick google suggest it works by reducing inflamation.