HELP!!:No Power in lobbing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by He Minwei, Oct 15, 2004.

1. He Minwei

He Minwei Regular Member

Student
    I have two racquets one is the Carbonex 21 original with the BG-85 string strung at 24 lbs and another is the Apacs Power Concept 998 with SOTX Ti-65 string at 22 lbs.There is no problem with both the racquets,they are powerful but the problem is that i have no power in lobbing and smashes.I have no power because i keep doing short hand and a little wrist power to produce my shot.When my opponent return a baseline shot,i don't dare to move to the back because my accuracy sucks like example i can tilt my body and demonstrate a imaginary full swing but when comes to apply i cannot because when i do a full swing,i will produce a wood shot or can't even hit the shuttlecock at all (just do a stupid swing thats it),what i do is that either i don't move to the back and return the baseline shot or i just use my short hand and little wrist power without tilting my body and without a full swing and then ended up it is just over the net. :crying: SO PROFESSIONALS PLEASE HELP ME,I NEED GUIDANCE FROM YOU ALL

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there are generally two complementary ways to improve one's technique. one is to learn the proper way to do it. then you need to practice it.

to learn the proper way, you an either find a coach, who will lead you step by step on how to execute the overhead shot properly. or you can watch how other play and try to imitate it. when you do imitate, without using the birdie, try it in slow motion to capture all positions of the swing, then try it at normal speed. when you have it really comfortable, try it with the birdie.

after you've learned the proper technique, you need to spend a lot of time practicing it. drill it 1,000 or 10,000 strokes to get it to perfection.

unfortunately, unless you are ultra talented, this is the only way to learn it.

3. ah tat

ah tat Regular Member

student
    i think the only way is to practice and practice...
    maybe get a coach...he can give u advice on how to improve...

4. altreality

altreality Regular Member

Hi,

Yes, its very important to keep on practicing.. no short cuts.
    From your post...I figure that you have 2 problems -

a) not moving your feet
    b) using "short hand and wrist

You should bear in in that you should always be behind the shuttle when you hit it.. this is the general rule...

...so if you refuse to move and just stick out your racket to try and block a proper lob with just your wrist... you will never be able to clear the shuttle... most lobs and clears require a fairly committed swing - unless you have been playing for sometime - wrist action is not enough ...

So my advice is move your feet !- use footwork to get you into position to play your shot.... once you are fast enough to get behind the shuttle - lobs, drops or smashes should be relative easy to improve with practice.

5. buluayam

buluayam Regular Member

Also, one thing which I've noticed many of my friends who do miss shots frequently...they have a tendency to take their eyes off the shuttle when they are swinging or taking a shot, without realising it.

My advice to them which is normally effective (ie improves their hitting accuracy almost immediately) is to always keep your eyes on the shuttle. Perhaps this could be part of the problem you are experiencing?

And, of course, like what everyone else has said...practice, practice, practice:)