Injury sucks.

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by kwun, Oct 18, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    sorry for the poor taste with words for the thread title, but i cannot find a more appropriate word for it.

i had a case of patella tendonitis since the beginning of the year. it was a nagging pain right below the knee cap of my left knee. it started off with just an annoyance, but when i continued playing 3+ times a week, it starts to really really hurt. for months i was feeling the pain during everyday walking, sometimes going up stairs requires a slight help from the side rail. i was completely unable to kneel down with my knee on the floor (glad i proposed before the injury... ;) ).

for a long time i have to wear a knee brace to play badminton, otherwise the insecurity with the weak knee would be bothering me throughout the match.

so at one point, due to teh injury along with other commitments, i stopped playing for a period of a month or two. the resting did wonders. after resuming badminton, it no longer hurt and i could not feel the pain anymore even after a long day of badminton.

what really really sucks was that i played like crap. having been off badminton for so long, the badminton Gods have punished me by making me move like a cow in the court and while the mind is still sharp some of the time, i hit like a beginner.

it took me another couple of months to finally feeling the rhythm and touch again. and most likely will take another couple of months to play like i did before. and there was a year gone.

thanks for reading, i just needed to vent a little bit. injury sucks.

2. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    I hear you .I am currently going through similar pains and strains myself.I played today and must say I couldn't hide my displeasure and disapointment at missing shots I normally kill.I swear my physiotherapist thinks I am a sadist because I continue to get hurt.I feel slow and my strokes lack that control and zip I normally catch everyone on.Oh well I know this sort of thing goes in cycles.I will just play through it until the juices start flowing again.Anyways speedy recovery to form Kwun.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    same to you, bighook.

the worse part is that when the injury is on the lower body, it affects the timing of the footwork and without a the proper foundation, everything else seems to fall apart with it. i found that on the recovery, focusing on light and quick footwork seems to help me tune back into the game.

4. socko

socko Regular Member

Work
    Absolutely agree. I had and still have Patello-Femoral Syndrome on my left knee, it's essentially the same thing as you Kwun, but this includes pain the knee cap too. I can't keep my left knee bent for long periods of time and when I straighten it hurts like hell. Also when my leg has been grounded for a while it hurts when you try to lift it. It's soooooo annoying.

I understand how you feel Kwun, sometimes I see the shuttle that's perfect for a big jump smash, but when I move back, I'm too slow for it. I can't lunge for shuttles and I can't get behind the shuttle quick enough for my height to be an advantage.

I found out why I'm getting my left knee injured all the time. It seems that I can jump but I don't cushion when I land. So my knee is constantly being jarred.

I'm getting sick of this, so I'm officially retiring from the game. For a MONTH! :p I'm going to be so bored without my dose of badminton. But at least I'll be back to playing without pain. Whiew you are right Kwun, it feels better once you've b*tched about it.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    socko,

yeah. something very similar. i think yours is more severe than mine though.. :(

just for your information, i lowered down my badminton schedule to almost none in June and then started easing back into badminton at the end of August. nowadays we play 1-2 times a week. when i did play back in August, i had to wear a knee brace/strap which made the difference between playing 2 game or playing a whole evening. it hurts nonetheless but i do anything for badminton... :)

after all those rest and then coming back into badminton, i no longer feel the pain on my knee. i can press on the soft tissue right below the knee cap and i don't feel any pain, i can kneel down without any problem. and i find that i am no longer dependent on the knee brace.

so i think i am on the uphill and hopefully with more care it won't come back again.

6. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I'm still injured...when I press on something near my knee cap, it hurts. :crying:

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

All you players with injuries, learn from Kwun's good example!

It's a frustrating thing to do, but if you rest you'll come back better than you ever were before. After the injury is healed, it will seem like you've lost all your skills. But they ARE still there! Moreover, you will find that with no injury to hold you back, you will in time surpass your previous standard.

Or you can daydream, and pretend it's okay, and destroy your future health and badminton.

As I've said elsewhere: it's your choice. Make the right choice.

8. socko

socko Regular Member

Work
    Yup agreed again. All it takes is another little incident and your entire knee may be ruined for life.

I've been working on a rehab routine. Weights to get stronger, proper loading of the knee. And lots of gym biking to keep myself in shape.

I guess the best thing about taking a break is that I'll be back nice and refreshed.

9. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I've had patellar tendonitis as well Kwun. I think it must be one the most frustrating injuries you can get because you think you can still play on it! I first got it in October 2002 and had it off and on for the whole 2002-2003 season. I stopped playing completely for 4 months in the summer of 2003 and did some aggressive rehab on it, and it went away. Unfortunately it only stayed away until about November of the next season. As if by some miracle though it went away in about March this year and has stayed away so far this season. I still have to be careful with it though, and I *hate* playing on hard floors. I cringe at the thought of going to play some away matches now!

Lots of cycling this summer has helped me recently I think. I discovered spinning classes at my gym and I got addicted! I agree with Gollum though, this is not an injury to be messed with! I think Simon Archer had problems with his patellar tendon and played on and on, sometimes using local anesthetic injections to get through. He eventually ruptured the tendon at the worlds in 2001. Even now he wears a patellar strap when he plays.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Joseph, next time you see me in the gym, show me exactly where it hurts. i am not a physician but may be able to give you some pointers. if you have patella tendonitis, i find that a brace that covers the whole knee is much more effective than the patella strap you are wearing. you might have seen me wear the whole knee brace before.

11. Arcos

Arcos Regular Member

been seeing players using those sort of braces that u guys have been talking about, but how does it work actually?

12. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I have the brace that covers my whole knee, but it seems like the strap is much better for my knee. I'll show you the next time around. Not sure when that will be. But my knee is a lot better than before.

13. Chiku

Chiku Regular Member

Physiotherapy
    there is some kind of way to strap our knee and patella... this technique will support your knee if you have a problem with your anterior cruciate ligament and posterior cruciate ligament... this is what i've learn in my physio's collage.. but i can't attach the pic here coz i don't have digital camera... but i think you can ask the sports physio how to do this technique... ok... all the best

14. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Here is a list of supporters that you guys might consider :)

Get well guys!!:)

Attached Files:

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Wow, you too could have Yonex EVERYTHING :D

...wonder if anyone has Yonex underwear?

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Well , if you have money $$$ , you can go for theraphy and oxigen treatments to speed up recovery.. i wish sometimes we have the same treatments the pros get hehe..

17. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Well, I found the picture has a complete line of supports, so i thought it would be easier for people to find their needs of different supports :)

(It would be really funky to see if a person wears "ALL" of supports above ;) )

Yonex underwear? probably not, but I think there is a Yonex PJ :cool:

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    those Yonex braces are expensive! and they are only available in JP as far as i can tell. the ones i am using are only around US$15. the Yonex ones are a few times more than that.

19. reza_gan

reza_gan Regular Member

Graduated College
    bluejeff,

I had a small wrist injury, it give me some pain when I snap it fast. It caused by my habitual to move/snap/bent my wrist too sharp.
    I'd like to buy something from your posted picture (the second pic from the right) that looks like a wrist band. But I don't know what they called, can you tell me ?
    I hope it will help to avoid my wrist from the same problem.

Thanks.

20. Chiku

Chiku Regular Member

Physiotherapy
    Hi guys... That day i alraedy mentioned to you all about how to strap our knee... now i already have the pic and i'll share with you all.... :D

Attached Files: