How many pair of socks do you wear?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Shiryu, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Shiryu

Shiryu Regular Member

Nerd
    Hello all,
    Just wondering how many pair of socks do you guys wear? I used to wear just 1, but then I read somewhere that many pro's wear 2 pairs (1 thin and 1 thick)

What's your beef on it? :confused:

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    where did you read about the pros?

personally i wear only one pair. problem i see with two pairs is that the two will slide against each other creating a insecure and slippery connection between the feet and the shoes.

3. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    I guess it depends on how well the shoes fit to the individual. I use to wear one pair of socks but constantly got blisters because it wasn't a perfect 'snug' fit at the front of the shoe. (btw, the size of shoe I got was the best fitting.. i.e. 1/2 size lower was too tight, and 1/2 size higher was too loose; and it seemed to fit quite well at the shoe shop). Anyway, the last time I played I wore two pairs of socks and the fit was almost perfect. Nice and snug, and without any blisters from continuous 2 hours of play. However, the case may be different if I were to switch to a different pair of shoes.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i dont see advantage of wearing 2 pairs unless the shoes werent a good fit.
    As for pros, they get the best fit shoes from the sponsoring company product line. Cant see why they need to wear 2 pairs except in the rare case where he/she has weird shape feet and no shoes out there fit them perfectly.

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Oh, I think I know what's going on.
    Sometimes you will see people (including Pros) wearing ankle supports (the slim style) outside the socks, and sometimes that would make people mis-understood that the person is wearing 2 socks, but actually, only 1 , plus the supports.

:)

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

LOL, while some eyes see no socks at all

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10942&highlight=sock

7. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer

Attached Files:

8. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I just wear the one, they have to be washed with fabric conditioner so they are nice and fluffy (no, honestly), I think the argument for wearing two pairs as a few people do is the fact one sock moves with your foot and the other moves with the shoe giving less friction between your foot and the shoe.

Also it comes down to how good a fit your shoes are as well :)

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i was just wondering about that. is it a good thing to have less friction? imagine when one is trying the do deep lunge, foot goes out, soles lands, but since the friction is small, the foot will continue to slide and causes the shoes to roll and then twists the ankle.

sounds really dangerous to me.

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I'm assuming the shoe would still be quite tight and its just a matter of two pairs filling up the same space as one so there is minimal room for moving around between the pair.

Anyone wear two and would like to comment?

I used to years back in juniors but the only difference is no blisters then or burning sensation on the balls of my feet. (but it was over 10 years ago)

11. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I tried wearing 2 socks one time before, and I never try it again since then.

When I was wearing them, since two socks just makes them become slippery in between, so it brings lots of "heat" when I run-and-stop, as the first sock will "drag" onto the second sock. The result is not feeling well due to too much of burning feels, so I do not like that myself. However, different people might have differnt methods of wearing, so perhaps it's just me :)

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

another -ve, poor ventilation :eek:

13. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    i think the reason for two socks is cushioning so just find thicker socks...end of thread.

14. jamesshieh88

jamesshieh88 Regular Member

Student
    this is a little of topic but has anyone ever worn those really long socks playing badminton? the ones that goes all the way up to your knees.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

maybe for the divers here :D

16. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Maybe where Cooler lives they might need to wear 2 pairs of socks since it's so bloody cold there! :D

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    No, I still prefer my knee pad. :D

18. wirre

wirre Regular Member

As already said it is to prevent blisterings you *should* use two *layers* between skin and shoe. Now there are many sock which are made like that already, at least at the most important places (toes and heal) so no need to use two socks. If you think your feet are slipping around in the shoe when using two socks then your shoes are not fitting good enough. The (minimal) movement should only be between the different layers (socks).

/ mats

19. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    yeh, thats probably what it is.. I use a pair of Hi-Tec Indoor 'squash', and the cushioning on the shoe isn't as thick or 'spongey' as the newer shoes out there (these were very cheap :)). So that's probably why wearing too pairs of socks helped me in this case.. it kind of fills in any gaps between the foot and shoe. Again, as i've said.. it could just well be the shoe i'm wearing. Also, with these shoes, it slides less with two socks as the fitting was more 'snug' and less slipperly. This just could just be me though, and different for others.:)

A +'ve thing I noticed, was that having a thicker layer of socks absorbed more sweat from the feet so the feet were dryer after a session of continuous play. I read an article on the internet (can't remember the page) that having dryer feet means less blisters are able to form. Perhaps that could be reason for no blisters, and not because of the slippery issue?

20. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    Found the page..

"Socks can decrease friction between the feet and shoes. Layering of socks or special double-layered socks can minimize shearing forces. Socks made from polypropylene or other new synthetic can wick moisture away from the skin more effectively than wool or cotton can, further decreasing the likelihood of blisters. You can also carry extra pairs of socks to change into if your socks become too damp."

'Avoiding and Treating Blisters'- http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1997/12dec/blisters.htm