Valid tactics?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by mjwhitfield, Oct 19, 2004.

1. mjwhitfield

mjwhitfield Regular Member

Postgrad University Student
    When playing against a woman who covers the net, would you say it was a valid tactic to smash directly at her face (after all, she could block it, if she was quick enough) to scare her into backing off the net a little, or would that make you a mean person?

2. ironchef

ironchef Regular Member

Smash at her, but she should be back at the side by side position if you're in the position to smash due to mixed doubles rotation(cause that means her team would have lifted). If she's at the front and you happen to be able to smash, then it'll intimidate her...but i guess be careful where you aim.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    for me,
    -depends whether the game is for fun or serious
    -i might do that if i'm losing :eek:, definitively not if we're winning :)

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is valid. but valid doesn't imply that it is not mean.

i would do that for a competition, but for everyday social matches in the gym, i aim for the floor instead of the face.

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    It is a very valid tactic in competition where you are trying to gain the upper hand and force the lady back from the net to set up your lady with the winner.

In a club situation I would not smash full force but rather drive the shuttle at the lady or do that tennis tap thing flat over the net to try and force her back

The lady should never be to close to the net anyway, it's just too limiting for playing strokes in a hurry afterall she is cutting down her reaction space and almost has no buffer zone.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's a perfectly valid tactic, and an effective one. You are very unlikely to injure her - people automatically flinch away from the shuttle.

Beware, however, that this tactic can backfire. If you try it against skilled ladies, they will get into a crouch defence and gently block the shuttle straight to the midcourt off your crosscourt smash. This usually means an easy, and humiliating winner!

7. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    smashing the girl

Yes I would use that tactic in competition, but not in a social, I would just try to drive down the sides pass her. Girls playing competition can handle it and either duck under the net, block it, or back off, just have to be careful not too close if you are smashing her, as no-one wants an injury from the tactic.

8. mjwhitfield

Last time I did it it was in a semi-social game (league pratice). Saddly she didn't move and it smacked her right in the bottom lip which is what made me consider if it's "the best thing to do".

She did back away from the net tho. We were loosing 4-10 and came back to win 15-11 as she didn't cover the net as well after the smash.

9. annab

annab Regular Member

Web developer and entrepreneur
    Smash away. I'm a girl and I would hate it if I knew someone held back on me just because of it.

Although, I am a high level player so it would probably never happen that I would be caught at the net where the opponent had a clear opportunity to smash at my face. As someone else mentioned, I would be in a defensive rotation, away from the net and ready to receive a smash.

So should you? Assuming she's an intermediate level player, sure - she'll learn better next time to not hang around the net when her partner has just given up a high lob to the front or midcourt.

Assuming she's a newbie and it's a social game, don't smash at her face, but fake like you will and just drop it. That will send the same message across but that you are clearly holding back.

Of course, if it's competition level, put them away with anything you've got in your arsenal!

Anna

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Agreed with others. Aggressive plays have little place in social games unless all participants are game for it. Tournaments are different setting and you'll unlikely to encounter a lady player who's not ready to receive a smash at the body. Anyway, it's fair game... mjwhitfield. If there's anyone to blame, it should be the poor lady's partner for popping one up for you to smash:D.

11. mjwhitfield

The shot before was a smash too and she got her racket to it too late and the shuttle went mid-court, I think she panicked and froze to the spot rather than getting her racket up and moving back.

She's not a great player, she must be about late 20's now, however when she was 16 she was playing in County tournaments, but she’s not played for the past 5-6 years (if I remember correctly). So I’m not too sure what level you’d class her as?

12. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Smash at the girl if you ever need to, but keep in mind, if the girl is good, she could push the shuttle to the two front-end sides easily and keep you quite busy on that ;)

"Generally, women have better defense than men", so don't expect that it would always work if you do it often (She would get used to it after awhile):)

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Even a break of 1 or 2 years would deteriorate skills as unlike simple things like cycling, badminton is a very technical sport. Our fast reactions, skills, and timing are honed in battle, not keeping a sustainable frequency on game would be detrimental to our development.

Hmm... I would consider her as an intermediate club player. Not playing for awhile would definitely removed the poor woman from the 'competitive' category:(.

14. fan

fan Regular Member

I will smash directly at someone, girl or boy, from baseline or back court depend on his/her skill level and whether it is a social game or in official competition. But I will not smash at someone’s face from the front of the court knowing that he/she almost has no chance to avoid being hit at the face.

Fear factor is part of the sport. I always tell myself to use it effectively and respectfully.

Boy, did I get smashed at face a few times. It hurts but I didn’t feel bad. :crying:

15. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Smashing at a girl... hmmm

If she's not that good and you catch them off position, then you can probably score a point smashing elsewhere (ie. the sides.) If she's good, she can probably block it (in all likelihood, she would be holding her racquet in front of her anyway, so a block would be very easy.). After a smash, you probably won't be in a good position to return it. So it seems like in either case, it's not the favourable move.