Post-service position

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Wai Shing, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Wai Shing

Wai Shing Regular Member

Student
    After I make a serve, what is the ideal position to adapt to be able to receive the incoming shot? Should I take up the “defensive†position(with racquet leg in front) or just stand normally? And should my position be different when I do a deep high serve or a low serve?
    I know the key is probably practice more but I was wondering if there’s some little things that might help me.

2. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Singles or doubles?

3. Wai Shing

Wai Shing Regular Member

Student
    Sorry, I forgot to clarify, I'm asking about singles.

4. toddster

toddster Regular Member

Grad. Student PE instructor
    My opinions

If you do a high deep serve towards the center, stay in the center.

If you do a high deep serve towards the corner, shift slightly to the side to you served to. I think you need to do this because you need to adjust your position to cover the fastest possible shot, straight smash. You can give up a little to the cross court smash because the shuttle has to travel more distance and thus gives you a little more time to react (rate X time = distance).

If you shift over, make sure that your foot that is opposite the corner you served to is still on or very close to the center line. If you go too far then you expose yourself to over committing to one side.

Personally, I would say cover the straight smash first, then cover the straight clear and crosscourt smash second, then cover the drops, finally worrie about the cross court last. But those priorities will change depending on your opponent. If your opponent doesn't smash, then don't worrie about it as much. Make sense?

Toddster