Double: After rushing the server

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by boilermaker, Oct 19, 2004.

1. boilermaker

boilermaker Regular Member

Hello the wise people again,

I play more doubles, and I wonder to know what you do after rushing the server.

When returning short service, I tend to rush the server by stepping forward. This is a common practice, I guess. The problem in my case, is that sometimes, I get caught offguard, because I have already committed in front of the net.

The server's partner may just push back across the court too far from me. My partner might not be ready to cover me in time.

I wonder if I am doing it right? Do you move back after rushing the server? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    First of all: you're right in trying to return the serve as early as possible. You should be as aggressive as possible when returning the serve. However, that does not mean that your actual SHOT has to be aggressive! Rather, the aggression lies in standing as close to the front service line as you dare, moving/jumping fast, taking the shuttle early. If your opponent drives back the shuttle after you rush it, that suggests that you're putting too much speed on the shuttle. Indeed a flat drive CAN be a good return of service (especially if the service is poor) but there are better and safer options. Returning short to the net, either to the sides or to the middle, is often more effective for forcing a lift (which is your aim here). Or a push to the alleys. I'd say that a hard drive is the second-to-last option before lifting, due to the risks involved... :) It might be a winner, but if they drive it back, you really need to have a solid partner because you'll still be recovering after your rush... As you have already discovered.

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

if you can't kill the serve, you want to place the shuttle such that the opposition have to hit it as far below net height as possible, forcing them to lift the shuttle.

the faster the shuttle goes, the further it travels before dropping

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    A shuttle that's 20 cm below the net tape is not a problem in the rear court, but it is definitely more of a problem if it's close to the net...
    Thus a soft return (straight or to near one of the net posts) is often better.

In any case, the described scenario is a common mistake with beginners and intermediate players. Once they've learned the importance of not clearing the shuttle on returning the serve, they instead tend to drive it back -- with force. It is often a better option than clearing, but if the serve is good and the kill fails it is very unwise.