Doubles: front man position

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by boilermaker, Oct 19, 2004.

1. boilermaker

boilermaker Regular Member

Hello again,

When I play front man in doubles, I find myself not fast enough to kill short returns.

This maybe due to my position being too close to the net. I normally wait at the T.

How do you do it? Do you step behind T? If so, how far back? I worry about encroaching the back man's space.

Thanks.

2. andyoda

andyoda New Member

Life sciences researcher
    Hi boilermaker,

First of all, how do you define short returns ? Some returns may be short but will soar too high above and over you and land mid-court which will make it easier for the back player to smash. When this happens, try to be alert of your partner's position, move out of his/her way and let him/her smash the shuttle. In my opinion, the front doubles player should concentrate on killing the shuttle when:

a) the opponent returns the shuttle too high above the net making it easier for you to tap or do a net drop

b) you have a long reach and can generate a fast enough swing to smash the shuttle when the opponent returns the shuttle to your mid-court. Beware that most of the time when you're trying to do this, you'll be moving backwards and that can take some sting out of your smash if you do not possess excellent technique. You'll also leave the front area exposed because you'll need time to recover to your original position while your partner is still at the back. Besides, if your partner does not know your playing style well enough, he/she may be caught by surprise and both of you collide or leave the shuttle to each other.

Therefore, i feel it is best to let your partner smash a mid-court return because he/she will be in a better position to do so and prepare for any subsequent short returns at the net.

Try to anticipate returns that fly just over the net but will require you to take an extra step towards the shuttle. You can try to kill the shuttle quickly by lunging at it and do a half smash straight to the body of your nearest opponent. This half smash need not be as strong as an outright smash. A quick half smash would do nicely. Believe me, the opponent will not have much time to react and give a good return. It will be naturally easier to do this on your stronger side, e.g. right or left handed. Backhands kills using this method will be harder to execute but it is possible with practice and some degree of trial and error.

In my experience, using a flexible racket that is easy to swing will make these tasks easier. A longer shaft, e.g an extra 1 cm may help matters :D .

Wish you good luck and have a great game.

andyoda

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Don't stand too close to the net. If you stand slightly behind the T, you can read the game better and step forward - rather than sideways - to threaten net replies. You are also better able to intercept drives and badly-judged lifts.

Whenever your partner does a drop, move forward from this position towards the shuttle. Now you are right up close to the net, in front of the service line. The aim is to intimidate your opposing net player into lifting the shuttle. If he does lift it, you step back behind the T again (slightly biased towards your partner's side of the court is normally best, so if he's on the left then you should be left of the centre line).

Another advantage of standing back is that your partner can smash over the top of your head, without hitting you :D