NEWS : Wan Wah goes for one last shot

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by kwun, Oct 20, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    [size=-1]The Star Online > Sports[/size]
    Thursday October 21, 2004
    [size=+2]Wan Wah goes for one last shot[/size]

BY LIM TEIK HUAT PETALING JAYA: National doubles player Lee Wan Wah will undergo surgery for a knee injury in a bid to salvage his badminton career.

Doubles chief coach Yap Kim Hock said yesterday that Wan Wah, who forms the national number one partnership with Choong Tan Fook, would go for a major operation to mend the right knee at Gleneagles Hospital next week and it would rule him out of action for the next six months.

“The doctor has advised him to go for the surgery to save his knee. If Wan Wah continues to play, there is a possibility that he will walk with a limp forever if it acts up again,†said Kim Hock.

“I have been told that it will be a major operation to repair the damaged ligaments.â€

The long rehabilitation period not only means that the veteran shuttler will have to forget about competing in major championships next year, including the All-England and World Championships, but it could also mark an end to his badminton career.

The All-England will take place in Birmingham in March and the World Championships is scheduled for August in the United States.

“Wan Wah is certain to miss the next seven international tournaments,†said Kim Hock.

“He needs to have a long period of rest to allow the injury to heal fully. I expect him to be able to resume training, at earliest, in April.

“By that time, the Tan Fook-Wan Wah partnership would have gone down the world rankings and I don't think there will be enough time for them to fight back to gain qualification to the world championships.

“Wan Wah has indicated that he still wants to make a comeback but it will certainly be much harder this time.â€

Wan Wah suffered the injury while taking part in the Selangor Open last week together with Tan Fook.

Both Wan Wah and Tan Fook are injury-prone and Kim Hock gave them the chance to make a comeback to top-flight badminton early last year.

The duo lived up to the coach’s faith, bouncing back with good performances six months later. They were the runners-up in the Opens in China and Hong Kong.

This year, they emerged as the All-England runners-up and Malaysian Open champions and reached the quarter-finals in the Athens Olympics.

The unwelcome news have certainly put Kim Hock in a spot.

Kim Hock will now have to review his plan to team up Tan Fook with a junior player.

“Now that Wan Wah will be out for a long time, I have to rethink again on the course to take,†he said.

“If we are looking at results in the short term, I am looking at asking Chew Choong Eng to partner Tan Fook. Choon Eng is an experience player to complement Tan Fook.

“If I stick to the plan to team up Tan Fook with a junior, it will be either Tan Zhao Rong or Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif.â€

Kim Hock is well aware that if Tan Fook has to partner a junior for a long duration, it may douse his enthusiasm after some time.

Choon Eng currently partners Gan Teik Chai. If they are split, Teik Chai will partner either Zhao Rong or Mohd Zakry.

2. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    Choong and Chew -- That's what I hope for. It's not worth it for Lee Wan Wah to go for the operation. He at most can continue for another one year and continue only next April. And if the injury acts up again, he would have to walk with a limp for the rest of his life. That's certainly not worth it.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    This may be the last hurrah for Wan Wah if he recovers. No matter what i still support him. He shows alot of courage in representing his country even he knows he may have to limp for the rest of his life. What a patriot.

4. jaclyn

jaclyn Regular Member

student
    yup!!!i agree with u!!! anyway i also will support him!!!
    wish him luck!!!

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

yes, Chew should be used to playing with a left hander

6. jaclyn

jaclyn Regular Member

student
    nope
    he's right

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I think he meant that Choong is left handed, as is Chan (his ex-partner).

8. meeya

meeya Regular Member

me too! if he wants to come back i'm sure he can do it again! it would be good if he and choong can win just one more tournament before retiring

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This is a bad injury for Wan Wah.

I would have severe doubts on the ability for a comeback. Given that he needs to rest until next April 2005, the muscles around his leg will lose their strength considerably. It may take another 6 months of rehabilitation to get to play at the top level.

Former examples of players who took a long time to get back after injury are Wong Choon Han and Chan Chong Ming.

Those two were younger than Lee WW after their respective injuries. Chan CM is only just getting there after pratically a year out. Given that M'sian training seems very harsh and with players prone to injury, I am doubtful the expertise is there to help Lee WW make a successful comeback. Have a look at Lee's previous injury experiences with his back and Choong Tan Fook's problems with his knee. It really took them a long time for both to overcome these problems.

Why not pair up Gan Teik Chai with Choong? Is that not an option? I have heard Gan is very fast. It may be worth trying a partnership with one fast player combined with Choong's skills........

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I agree.

It is a shame though, because although they were inconsistent, they were a match for anyone on their day.

all this comes about a week after we heard they will have an individual trainer. Guess that guy is not very busy now!!

good luck to him though.

11. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    I think Gan and Choong is quite a good pair. But considering their age gap, I really resent this combination. When Tan Fook gets old, Taik Chai have to start anew with somebody else. Therefore, I feel Tan Fook should pair with Choong Eng.

12. meeya

meeya Regular Member

looks like you got your wish:)