User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Smash return, need help

    Hello the badminton wise,

    I have this problem. When a particular oponent smashes me, I tend to return it with forehand lift. The way I hit is is kind of awkward, I tend to hit it like a single service, ie. shoulder face rather than squaring against him.

    With the other openents, I don't have this problem.

    What is the reason, and how should I correct it?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Boilermaker,

    Have you tried searching for answers in previous threads? Smash returns can be trained, just do lots of driving rallies/drills. In defence you should be squaring against him with your racquet in front, that way, you can defend 80% (rough figure) of the area in front of you using backhand stroke. The forehand side does seem to be a vulnerable spot for attack since most players are already defensively strong in the back hand side. Your opponent made an aimed shot that forces you pop one up, he's probably very experienced and knew how to exploit your weakness in that situation.

    To prevent this, you could get into defence mode as soon as you realise that the contact will be made overhead (with racquet pointing at the source of the attack). Also if it's a doubles situation, you could position yourself closer to the tramline on your forehand side and give him less space to exploit.

    Point is always try to take the shuttle early... even in defence.

    Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker
    Hello the badminton wise,

    I have this problem. When a particular oponent smashes me, I tend to return it with forehand lift. The way I hit is is kind of awkward, I tend to hit it like a single service, ie. shoulder face rather than squaring against him.

    With the other openents, I don't have this problem.

    What is the reason, and how should I correct it?
    Last edited by cappy75; 10-10-2004 at 06:50 AM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    UCLA
    Posts
    151
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You may also find it more effective if you can do a backhanded return on your forehand side.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    its better to return with a backhand then forehand?
    i didn't know that

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just try it... forehand defence is more awkward when taking a shot directed at your body. It's even worst among recreational club players who are regularly being tested on their backhand side more than their forehand side.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcos
    its better to return with a backhand then forehand?
    i didn't know that

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burnaby, CAN
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcos
    its better to return with a backhand then forehand?
    i didn't know that
    it doesn't really matter. does it?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    markham, canada
    Posts
    393
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default tricky return

    The way i return forehand smashes is quite tricky, although the success rate is high if you manage to pull it off. If it is a direct smash to my body or leg on the forehand side, i usualy turn sideways so that im facing the birdie. Then, i pull my arm up a bit so my elbow is bent, and the racket face is facing the net. In this position, you put your racket where the birdie is and either drive it back or just angle yoru racket face so that that person's smash is turned into a drop against him/her.

    Sometimes I do a little hop if I want to drive it back even flatter, with the same principal as a jump smash: more height, mroe angle.

    Cheer,
    Charzord

    P.S. This is only if the birdie is clsoe to yoru body. Any other smashes further away from your body, you can either do a simple forehand clear/drop or if its too far, throw yoru racket in hopes of saving it .

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charzord
    The way i return forehand smashes is quite tricky, although the success rate is high if you manage to pull it off. If it is a direct smash to my body or leg on the forehand side, i usualy turn sideways so that im facing the birdie. Then, i pull my arm up a bit so my elbow is bent, and the racket face is facing the net. In this position, you put your racket where the birdie is and either drive it back or just angle yoru racket face so that that person's smash is turned into a drop against him/her.

    Sometimes I do a little hop if I want to drive it back even flatter, with the same principal as a jump smash: more height, mroe angle.

    Cheer,
    Charzord

    P.S. This is only if the birdie is clsoe to yoru body. Any other smashes further away from your body, you can either do a simple forehand clear/drop or if its too far, throw yoru racket in hopes of saving it .


    charzord,

    I did it the same way you described. The problem is that if you might not be able to recover if the oponent keep smashing to you on your right.

    I tried what the wise people here suggested. I had a forehand grip and held the racket head low, slight above my knee. The effect was good, I managed to return quite well.

    This way works well for me, but if the smash is high at about shoulder height, then I could only do a block with backhand grip.

    I think the best way might have been a backhand grip with slightly higher racket head, in between shoulder and knee. I will try it and report.

    Thanks.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Vancouver B.C.
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I always return smashes with my backhand. Having my right shoulder facing the net while doing my backhand gives me just enough time to recover and enough time to be able to switch from my backhand to a quick forehand. If my way of doing it doesn't work then try to decrease the chances of your opponent doing a smash by either dropping or doing a low crosscourt shot.

Similar Threads

  1. Return Smash!!pls help
    By mrshuttle in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 24
    : 04-26-2011, 06:44 PM
  2. Best return of smash?
    By Derek S-H in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 15
    : 06-09-2009, 10:26 AM
  3. smash return
    By jchan23 in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 25
    : 07-09-2007, 10:47 PM
  4. hey i was wondering how to smash and return a smash??
    By hoponpop in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 14
    : 03-12-2005, 07:59 PM
  5. how to return a smash
    By megan in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 27
    : 07-25-2002, 06:52 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •