underhand clear

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jackie mendoza, Jan 31, 2000.

1. <html>I have to do a peer teaching project on the underhand clear in badminton and know nothing about it. Can someone please give me detailed information on what exactly an underhand clear is? and how to do it? and/or a book or website that can give me the information.
    </html>

2. shooka

shooka Regular Member

Student
    I have problem generating power in my underhand clear too. It seems like i am unable to adequately pronate my forearm.

Is there any pointer to take note when executing underhand clear/stroke?

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I don't think there is such a thing as an underhand clear. Almost all strokes are either underhand or overhead. Clears, used to be called lobs in Asia, are overhead strokes. Underhand strokes that lift the shuttles high to the baseline are called lifts. You need to know how to use the wrist to execute a fast lift high to the base. If you find it difficult to lift fast and full-length, then your wrist work is poor.

4. shooka

shooka Regular Member

Student
    [video=youtube;yZtyp-Sqy30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZtyp-Sqy30[/video]

I think i found my answer here.

But is it possible to clear to the back court with this stroke?

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Yes, some call it a clear and others a lift. Depending on your skills and hitting technique, hitting it to the back court straight is not a problem. You need a very strong wrist. As a variation to and to add some deception into this stroke you can mix it with straight or cross court drops.

6. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Yes. It is not too difficult either once you get the hang of it.

The gist is to make sure you give enough space between the contact point and yourself, a sufficient lead for the racket, and contact the shuttle flat (watching your grip). Another tip is the racket head should be above your wrist -- that makes power generation and control easier. Foot work is similar to a forward lunge.

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

"Underarm clears" are more commonly called lifts, at least in England.

I'll be releasing a detailed article about lifts in a few days time, on my Badminton Bible website. You might want to look out for it. :)