Serving question

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by peyter, Oct 22, 2004.

1. peyter

peyter Regular Member

Lecturer
    Hi! I did a search on this topic but couldnt come up with anything (please pardon me if this has been asked before)

Is it legal to drop the shuttle before serving backhanded? I supposed in singles thats perfectly fine but what of doubles?

I played a guy who served like that - it was hard to gauge his serve as he delayed the motion until the last possible minute

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It is legal, but disadvantages the server. He will not be able to serve as accurately using this method; the ability to hold the shuttle, not drop it, is a benefit of serving backhand.

You are having difficulty because his unusual serving style disconcerts you. Once you get used to it, it will seem like a silly gimmick :)

3. Albert

Albert Regular Member

that brings to my next question, does that mean it is LEGAL to hit the shuttle directly while i am still holding the shuttle? I am asking this because I tried to serve a fast drive serve using this method and the opponent i was playing with insist that it was an illegal serve. He says that i have to drop the shuttle first, even if it is a little drop.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Nope. He made that up!

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I dunno.
    You could argue that as soon as the racquet contacts the shuttle, the shuttle is in play. If, when in play, any part of the player or the players clothing touches the shuttle, that is a fault.

6. Albert

Albert Regular Member

arggh.....me confuse.....so is it a fault or not? :crying: :eek:

7. dpc1l

dpc1l Regular Member

Eh? Do the pros drop it before making contact? I haven't specifically checked, but from watching matches, I don't think they drop it.

I've got coaching tonight, so I will find out then

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    You should let go of ther shuttle the instant before you hit the shuttle. IMHO i cant see how you can hit it whilst you are still holding it (doesnt it hurt?)

A lot of people make the mistake of moving the arm away whilst throwing the shuttle, when you should position the hand and the shuttle, so that simply open the fingers can allow the racket to pass freely. If you dont do this the shuttle doesnt not hang in the air, then drop, it can be thrown away from the racket, so adding to inconsistencies.

9. Casper

Casper Regular Member

Student
    How can that be illegal??? I guess he must have his own badminton law book then:confused: .

Better yet, why don't you ask him to show you how to serve. I want to see him to hit his hand(especially for backhand serve)...:D ....ask him to do a long serve too....more pain for him.

I think he must be playing in space if you let go of the bird and the bird doesn't drop, especially for forehand serve???? Otherwise he must have toss the bird upward then hit it before the bird falls, OR he might have re-definite the law of physics....:eek:

10. fan

fan Regular Member

Never heard such complain, but now you get me thinking before every backhand serve.
    Drop, no drop, drop, no drop … … :rolleyes: