Tan Fook gets new mate in bid to ensure fast results

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by FEND., Oct 22, 2004.

1. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    My 1001st Post :D
    Enjoy
    -------------------------------------
    Source : The Star Newspaper, 23th October 2004.
    http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/10/23/sports/9213848&sec=sports
    Tan Fook gets new mate in bid to ensure fast results
    BY RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: In a desperate move to ensure immediate results in the doubles department, veteran Choong Tan Fook has been teamed up with Chew Choon Eng.

Following a serious knee injury to Lee Wan Wah, which could rule him out of action for six months, Tan Fook had been without a partner.

Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) president Datuk Nadzmi Mohd Salleh announced a reshuffle involving three new pairs after a coaching and training committee meeting at the Stadium Juara in Bukit Kiara here yesterday.

Besides Tan Fook-Choon Eng, who will be playing together for the first time, the doubles department will also see new pairs in Gan Teik Chai-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif and Tan Zhao Rong-Jack Koh.

The others pairs in the national team are Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat, Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock, Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Lin Woon Fui and Ong Soon Chiang-Lok Chong Hong.

Nadzmi said Wan Wah's injury was a big blow.

“Today, Dr Ramlan (Aziz, the National Sports Institute director) explained to us the extent of Wan Wah's injury. Wan Wah will go for surgery on Tuesday,†said Nadzmi.

He needs six months to recover. We are unsure of his future in the national team at the moment.

“His absence will certainly affect our results in immediate tournaments. After all, Wan Wah form the world number one pair with Tan Fook. Tan Fook has been teamed up Choon Eng so that they can remain competitive until 2006 at least.â€

Coach Yap Kim Hock said he had decided against giving Tan Fook a junior partner.

“I had wanted him to team up with Zhao Rong. But the gap between them is too wide. With their difference in standards, they are certain to lose early in tournaments. It would be demoralising for Tan Fook,†said Kim Hock.

With the latest changes, Kim Hock however was still confident that at least one pair would qualify for the next year's World Championships in the United States (Aug 15-21).

The highest ranked pair in the team now are Malaysian Open semi-finalists Bin Shen-Soon Hock.

They are ranked 51st in the world. The others are not even in the top 100.

“A few of the pairs will be racing against time to make the cut.

“But I believe at least one pair will make it. If there is no injury problem to Chong Ming, I am confident the new pair of Chong Ming-Kien Keat will move up fast,†he added.

2. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    This is good news !!! I hope Chong Ming/Kien Keat and Tan Fook/Choong Eng will continue to win honours for Malaysia just like Tan Fook and Wan Wah did.

3. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

Chew Choon Eng reminds me of Halim Haryanto...