Another qucik question from a beginner

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Islander, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Islander

Islander Regular Member

My situation is this: I have just taken up the sport in the last 4 weeks and have started playing on a solely recreational basis 2 to 3 times a week with a group of similarly minded players. Some are very good and some are just novices. My question is this... ( as a senior) if I don't have the time nor inclination to do strength training or the facilities to practice, can I improve the most in terms of strength of smashes and length of clears by becoming adept at the panhandle grip as opposed to the standard grip.
    I have read the entire thread on the panhandle grip and I feel that it may be a better route for me. Although, I don't want to invest the little court time in trying to perfect a grip that might not be the best for what I want.
    My question narrows down to this:
    If an non-playing average person just picked up a raquet and stood at one end of the court and tried to put a shuttle to the other end back line using both grips, which grip should most likely result in sending the shuttle the farthest.
    PS: I will try it if I ever get there without all courts being utilized so, for now, I would like some opinions from the experienced players in this board.

2. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Use standard grip, you can use your whole body that way. My coach clears effortlessly, technique and timing (hitting the shuttle square and not slicing it) produces the most power. Get some private lessons. They do wonders.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    given your criteria. i suggest u go with the one that is more comfortable and send the shuttle the furtherst. Just as u had descripted,

an non-playing average person just picked up a raquet and stood at one end of the court and tried to put a shuttle to the other end back line using both grips

go to the court and bat the shuttles few times and see which feel and give the best result, pick that one and go with that.

#3 cooler, Oct 24, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  4. Arcos

Arcos Regular Member

i'm have been playing with a panhandle grip for as long as i can remember. Nv taken any formal lesson from coaches. Recently i found out that many ppl using the standard grips produces far more power then me in clears and smash. They are using their whole body to generate the power while i'm basically doing a flexion of my wrist (snapping my wrist) to generate the power to clear and smash, while i can clear from baseline to baseline, it still requires alot of effort(maybe it's just my scrawny body).

Trying to learn the standard grip but i keep slicing the shuttle :rolleyes:

5. Islander

Islander Regular Member

Hmmm. Thanx ppl. I doubt if I could ever clear from baseline to baseline but I wonder if this is where equipment is a factor right now more than grip! As I've just taken up the sport recently, I bought a cheaper Yonex MP22 :( and the group uses inexpensive plastic birds as well. Could these factors considerably affect the distance a bird travels ie; going from baseline to baseline with a clear?

I'm sorry for these amateurish questions but this is a great place to pick up tips about the sport and I really learn a lot lurking about the discussion board.

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I make no judgement on your skill level, but as I see quite a lot of new/beginner players playing I think the most important thing that limits the ability to hit the shuttle far is their position (not the grip) Practice the correct swinging motion (regardless of grip) being side onto the shuttle, "bow and arrow position", stroke-protonate-rotate, and you will hit it much further. Try think about doing it correctly in the game situation, and especially in the half court warm up, and you should see rapid improvement.

If you dont want to spend vast amounts on coaching, then buy one of Bluejeffs' training VCDs', they explain everything is as much detail as you should want, and for a great price. :)

With regards to the grip, I suggest you try to use the correct grip, but if you feel more comfortable with panhandle, then use it. but be warned, if you get the Badminton bug and want to improve constantly, you may find you regret it later!! :eek: :eek:

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    dont worry too much on hitting it hard or you'll will tense up. Concentrate on timing the impact on the sweetspot instead, from there work backward and synchronize & smooth out your bodily and arms motion. Just like golf, get that one swing down pat first before killing the ball, otherwise, the ball actually go less far with increasing effort from a big improper swing.

for ex. a 12 year old with proper swing can easily send a shuttle or golf ball farther and straighter than a beginner adult swinging all his might, without damaging joints either.

#7 cooler, Oct 25, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  8. BethuneGuy

Student
    Never is it the racket. My friend with perfect technique picked up a wooden racket the other day in the old gym storage room (here in Toronto, school board doesn't care much about badminton), and smashed the bird silly. After ten or so, we heard a loud boom, and wondered where the birdy went. To our amazement, birdy was stuck in between the strings, these tension-less probably 10 year old strings. Plus, inexpensive plastic birds go pretty far and are pretty fast.

9. Arcos

Arcos Regular Member

hehe, i'm constantly bugged by the Badminton bug :D

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Use the standard forehand grip. Practice a whip-like throwing action, preferably with direction from a coach, and you will get good results.

Don't look for the quickest, easiest, laziest solution. You'll just frustrate yourself, and there are few short-term savings to be made. Avoid the panhandle grip entirely until you have a better understanding of badminton.

Your racket is not the problem. You're just hoping that it is, because you want some way to buy or be given badminton skills without having to train. It simply does not work like that.

11. Islander

Islander Regular Member

Thanx again ppl. I did naturally use the standard grip (maybe VOS) to start but was not happy with the length of clears. But can I assume then that shots like the deep clears and drives, much like the smash, are executed beginning with the lead shoulder turning towards the direction you intend the shot to go.
    I think I'll search the net to find a good DVD which will demonstrate how to properly execute all shots in badminton. Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm not lazy, just old and weary, but I would still like to play badminton to best of my poor old body's ability and I am improving in this short time thanx to all the great material in this group.

12. smashin'

smashin' Regular Member

Christianity & HS student
    I believe I use the 'correct' grip (with the handle laying across the 'roots' of my fingers, my fingers spaced apart, and my thumb resting on the broad portion between my index finger and middle finger). However, I believe that I'm just using my wrist and forearm to generate power as I've never stepped through with my lead foot before. I'm not complaining about a lack of power, as I've had people comment on how much power I have, I'm just seeking correct technique. Should I be stepping through with my lead foot? It seems that here lately quite a few people have mentioned that.

Thanks.

13. BethuneGuy

Student
    stepping through helps use your trunks in the shot and recover so you can get back into position. more power, better recovery. stepping through helps shift weight.

14. smashin'

smashin' Regular Member

All right; now I'm confused. I'm right handed, so while I'm waiting for the birdie I'm usually standing with my left leg in front. In this wrong? Anyhoo, when I hit the biride, it seems I'm supposed to bring my right leg to the front for some 'follow-through'. Is this correct? After I do this, I have to change my stance to return to where I was (left leg in front). If all this is true, then I would think it would take MORE recovery time to get my stance back into position.

What I just wrote is how I *think* I'm *supposed* to be hitting. If it's not, or if there's something different I could be doing, I'd love to have your comments.

Thanks.

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

"Stepping through" is a method taught to help beginners get the feel of the throwing action and moving forward with the shot.

In reality, however, you will normally be moving backwards for an overhead. The best way to take an overhead shot is with a jump - just a small one will do, no need for massive showy jump smashes. As you move backwards, take your feet off the ground and reverse them: the left foot goes backwards as the right foot comes forwards. This is called a "scissor jump" or "split jump". You land on your left foot, using it to push forwards again.

16. smashin'

smashin' Regular Member

Thanks! With any luck at all, I'll be playing tonight, so I'll be conscious of how I make these shots.