Racket design

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Cengsc, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Cengsc

Cengsc Regular Member

Administrative..
    Hi all,

i just know something new yesterday. My friend told me that there r 2 types or racket design.

1) the round head frame heavy
    2) the round head frame light.

For (1), meaning that, when u hold the racket, u can feel that the head is heavy but the racket is normal weight.

For (2), meaning that the racket head is light when u hold it and its weight is normal weight.

So my question is, hw to choose btw this 2 types.

Ceng

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    The first one is what we called "Head Heavy" rackets and the second one is what we called "Head Light" rackets.

You can search in our forum and see what other people's preferences are, also keep in mind that these two types of rackets are designed for different users. Head heavy ones are normally for offensive users and Head Light rackets are most likely for defensive users.

3. Arcos

Arcos Regular Member

there are also different shapes, oval and iso.

basically iso provides a larger sweetspot, much more forgiving to off centered hits.

Oval shaped frame has a denser string bed and many ppl feels that it "explodes off the strings", more crisp feeling.

choosing between the shapes and the balance of the racket is mainly ur preference.

For head heavy rackets, its easier to smash and clear as with the extra weight on the head, u can be lazier to swing the racket.

With head light racket, its much easier to defence as there is less inertia to overcome when u wanna change direction fast.

have fun choosing ur new racket :)

4. Cengsc

Cengsc Regular Member

Administrative..
    Re

Hi

Thks, but according to my friend, he say that "heavy head" tend to cause the racket stem or some parts to broken or flew off.

While "light head" cause the racket to be easy broken or spoilt easily.

Am he right?

Ceng

5. Arcos

Arcos Regular Member

rofl, i doubt a normal human can really make the frame to crack or disconnect from a shaft from just swinging the racket without hitting any hard objects.

while it may be true that lighter racket may break easier when clashes with other rackets or other hard objects, heavier rackets seem to be more durable due to more material.

well, with a lighter racket, they gotta take the weight off somewhere right?

but if u don string ur racket at high tensions like 27 onwards, any racket would probably last u a long time. provided u take care of it ;)
    no scraping of the floor, hitting ur double partner's head :D or anything like that :)

6. Arcos

Arcos Regular Member

basically, choose a racket that fits ur style, don have to think so much about it. I found out that basically, all those high end racket all tend to feel the same to me (i'm a novice) just get a racket and work on ur technique, it gives u much more improvement then any racket can.

there is a thread some where about the characteristic of rackets, do a search on that and read up, it pretty covers everything. :)

7. Cengsc

Cengsc Regular Member

Administrative..
    Re

Hi,

Thks. i have tried before using yonex isometric 6000 (heavy head) just normal playing, the head and the stem suddenly flew out off the racket handle.

Ceng

8. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

perhaps try finding something thats right in the middle of everything.
    equal balance, 2U perhaps.
    try both iso and oval heads to see if either one particularly strikes your fancy.
    from there, as you get better, and able to discern equipment differences, you will naturally progress to head heavy/light, heavier/lighter, iso/oval, and whatever else to fit your personal developing style.

9. Arcos

Arcos Regular Member

interesting, the shaft and the frame flew out from the handle :eek:

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Like the description, hold it, and swing it, you can tell it by yourself, w/o reading the spec. :)

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    There's might be possibilities here or there. Even a batball bat could be broken, never have to metion rackets. However, I never seen a racket broken like your friend described. All the brokage were due to clash, bump, mis-hit, over usage (used for yrs), bad storage, bad string job, manufacture defect, etc.

12. Cengsc

Cengsc Regular Member

Administrative..
    Re

Hi all,

Thanks.

Ceng

13. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    I have seen a racquet broken at the shaft from the handle, but this was a metal racquet. What happened was that the player smashed, and without clashing anything, the head/shaft flew off as a unit from the wooden handle and impacted on the opponent's ankle. Quite scary actually as this was at smash energy levels and it was fortunate the hit took place with the head not the ragged shaft.

It seemed the racquet broke where it flexes every time you swing it (closer to the cone end of the shaft). After some 10-15 years of use, it seemed like metal fatique in combination with possibly some previous hits finally proved too much for the material.

SNAP..... just like that, the shaft and the head just separated from the handle. But as any materials/mech. engineer can tell you, graphite doesn't fatique in the same way aluminum does, which accumulates stress untill the cracks in its structure just fails. Graphite has a clean failure mode, it's bend a little, and then all or nothing.

14. Cengsc

Cengsc Regular Member

Administrative..
    Re

Hi,

The way u say is quite similar to my case. Just suddenly the shaft and the head flew out. while i was holding the handle with shock.

ceng

15. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Hang on becareful here, I didn't say the shaft flew out. I said the shaft failed outright and snapped. The broken remains of the head and shaft then separated from the handle, which has a little bit of the shaft in it still.

16. Cengsc

Cengsc Regular Member

Administrative..
    Re

hI,

OPS.....

i was reading the below partion.

Ceng