Decent Stringing Service in London

Discussion in 'UK' started by Jun_W, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    Does anyone know of a good place for restringing rackets in London?

I tried a local chain sports store in SE London and they have a very limited selection of strings as part of their stringing service. This was also the case when I asked at Lilywhites in Central London. I'm looking to restring a racket with either Yonex BG80 or BG85. If the make of the racket will help determine the most suitable stringer, the racket to be strung is a 'Gosen' with an isometric shaped frame.

Any recommendations or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks for looking.

2. dpc1l

dpc1l Regular Member

Hi Jun

There's a good stringer I use, but he's in SW London - is that too far?
    I think he goes to WSBC (Wimbledon)

Let me know if you want any more details?

3. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    Hello dcp,

Thanks for the reply.

Wimbledon's not too far. Would I have to travel to the club, or does he/she have a restringing outlet somewhere else? It would be great if you could provide me more details e.g. strings, price, time taken. (either here or via PM).

4. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    Hey tom, theres a stringing place where i got my old carlton airblade tour done in bexleyheath, right behind crook log... it cost me £16.05 to do mine with a bg68ti but she wouldn't string it any higher than 18lb, she said something like the carlton racquets can't handle any higher and was afraid to do it.... but with yonex racquets she said she would only string them up to about 22lbs...

erm... why don't u try asking david? i bet he has a stringing machine hiding somewhere haha well for a reasonable price i reckon he would do it

5. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Stringing

Hi Tom

I do have a stringing machine but I don't have any BG-80 or BG-85 strings. I don't think Yonex make them anymore do they? You can only get them in places like HK or Malaysia.

I've got BG65Ti, BG70 Pro and BG68Ti and a couple of brands of synthetic gut. The BG68Ti is the closest to BG-85.

Advanced players tend to prefer the BG68 for performance, although I like the BG70 Pro because it holds high tensions well. The BG65 has the best combination of performance/durability and is the most popular overall.

If you want me to do your racket, I'll just charge you for the cost of the string, and hey, I'm even offering free pick-up and delivery :p

David

6. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

and Scotland. I just ordered some from that shop that Dill supplied a link to in another thread about shoes

www.rapidrepair.biz

#6 Neil Nicholls, Oct 26, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  7. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Bg-85

Neil, you're right, I've just checked the Yonex web site and it's still showing them. Maybe they changed their minds, good news in any case. Did the BG-80 always have Vectran in it?? Or is that something new?

I've also just checked the centralsports.co.uk site and they are selling BG-80, but for £21 per set! :eek:

8. Jun_W

Jun_W Regular Member

student
    David, i've sent you a PM :-]

9. Neil Nicholls

yeah, centralsports is the last place I'd go to to get string (nowadays).
    I did get some single BG80 and BG85 from there once when I went to get some shoes because I'd never seen it before.

Now I tend to go to San Diego Badminton Supply (www.badminton.net ?)
    for my BG-66. Amazingly, rapidrepair is cheaper than SDBS even with the current USD exchange rate.

BG-80 has always had Vectran in it since I've known it, but that's not long.
    Dill called it BG80-2, I don't know what that means. (version 2? 200m?)

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Just happened across this one

This issue of BG80 is called the -2, probably a slightly modified string than the last issue but since it's been a while in the UK how can we compare it, the link I supplied earlier in the other thread gives BG80 200m rolls for £65, central sports want £90 for a roll and when I supplied links to other cheaper sites they refused to lower or match the price even though I am a good customer :mad:

Oh and it's only available in that bright yellow :confused:

But I got a couple of rolls of the new string, and the new heat capsule tracksuit which should be here on Thursday :D :D :D (happy bunny)

and there is no postage charge - everything is included in the price :D :D :D :D

Brian Gannon is the man !!!!!

Just out of curiosity what machines are you guys using? I'm looking into getting one.

#10 Dill, Oct 26, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  11. Neil Nicholls

I received a 200m reel of BG80 called BG80-2
    a 200m reel of BG68-Ti called BG68T-2
    and a 100m reel of BG65 called BG650-1
    so my guess is that the 2s and 1s refer to the 200m and 100m

12. Neil Nicholls

Do a search :p
    (Gamma progression II 602 from www.atssports.com)

13. superstar19

superstar19 Regular Member

stringing in London

Hello all, I am offering my stringing service to all those in the London area, I will string to any required tension at the owners risk, I can also do a collection and drop off service if required but this is an extra £2 to places within reason.
    my price list is as follows

Model Price

Toalson
    TNT 75 White £5.25
    Superline 80 Natural £2.10
    Superline 65 £5.70
    Durapower 70 £3.90
    Durapower 75 £3.90
    Durapower 75 Ti £4.45

Yonex
    BG65 £4.80
    BG65 Ti £4.80
    BG68 Ti £4.80
    BG63 £4.50
    BG80 £5.40

Babolat
    Challenge Hi-Life £3.75
    Hyperbraid £7.50

Ashaway
    Flex 21 £7.75
    Micro Power Orange £6.85
    Micro Legend XL £10.80
    Rally 22 Ti £4.95
    Rally 21 £6.09
    Rally 20 £5.95

Gosen
    Pro 70 £5.98
    Pro 66 £5.98
    Vibeless Xtra Carbon £5.98
    Roots Aermet £7.50

Strings are available to buy, if stringing is needed it is an extra £5
    If collection and drop of is needed add £2
    Minimum stringing fee is £10
    Real Gut available on request
    It ueasusally takes 2 days to get them done but this is dependent on what string you require

Please call Alvin on 07799136924 or drop me an email at sum_alvin@hotmail.com

#13 superstar19, May 4, 2005
    Last edited: May 4, 2005
  14. Jason X

Jason X New Member

Can anyone kindly tell any places in Harrow or around where restringing is available?

Can anyone kindly tell any places in Harrow or around where restringing services can be found? Thanks!

15. drewkam

drewkam Regular Member

I go to a guy called Sam Chan - he's based in Hillingdon.

http://www.protourstringer.co.uk/

He's a tournament grade stringer - does mainly tennis rackets, but he still does Badminton rackets too. Very knowledgeable ... I had no idea there was so much involved in stringing!

Anyways, he charges around £12 if you bring your own strings, or £14 with BG65Ti.
    Only thing, you'll have to travel to him in most cases, unless he's within your area then you can arrange to meet up.

But for convenience and pricing, "superstar19" services sounds quite good too.

Up to you .... :)

Drew

16. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    yep yep sam is the best, really nice guy! last time i went, he gave me a free lift back to the underground station =D :) hes also in charge of the wimbledon stringing team lol, master!

#16 splitstep, Jun 7, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  17. sslam72

sslam72 Regular Member

Gefen Sports

If you're in London and can get to wembley/willesden/paddington area, then go to Gefen Sports. Israel and Adrian offer a fantastic quality service.

I play competitively on the local Middlesex/Enfield/Barnet league circuits and have used them for the last 8 years. I've tried most of the other stringers over the last 15 years in London and nothing comes close.

I have my eight AT700's strung with BG68Ti's at 28lbs - 29lbs depending on time of year and temperature and I can vouch that their precision levels are very accurate.

You can tell by the pitch of the sound when taping strings that they are consistently strung.

Israel is an accredited stringer and you can tell by the pictures of the famous tennis, squash and badminton players that professionals from all over the world have been in his shop and know of him.

He's not interested in 10 - 15min rushed jobs, I've sat in his shop and watched him string three racquets for me taking about 30 minutes each (although he was talking to me throughout).

Highly rated although his prices match the quality. I supply my own strings and it costs me £13 per racquet. £16 otherwise for the BG68Ti.

18. dmwg40

dmwg40 Regular Member

how about Decathlon near Canada Water near Rotherhithe. not tried them yet but they seemed to have wide varitey of strings selection.

19. drewkam

drewkam Regular Member

I'd be wary of those guys. They broke my friends Ti10 and that put him off completely ... There's always a risk though, but apparently they were a bit "oh well" about it ... FYI!! :rolleyes:

20. superstar19

superstar19 Regular Member

Stringing Update

Hi All,

I am still providing a stringing service in the Central'ish, North ish side of London,

My current prices are

BG65ti £10
    BG66 £11
    BG68ti £12.50
    BG80 £12.50
    NBG95 £12.50
    NBG98 £12.50

You can either priate message me on here or mail me a.sum@londonmet.ac.uk

Thanks

Alvin