Review: Carlton PowerBlade Superlite

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Marcus Fong, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Marcus Fong

Marcus Fong Regular Member

IT Professional
    Weight: 86g, Head-Heavy
    Frame: ISO
    String: BG65 Cross 25.5,25 Main
    Max Tension: 28lbs (according to Dunlop Slazenger)
    Grip: 3 1/4
    Color: Deep Red, quite nice and fierce looking
    Price: SGD 99

Feels like a 2U racket in your hands, even though it's quoted at 86g. Probably because of it's head-heaviness. Comparing it with my older Airblade Superlite & Airblade Kevlar Hi-T which are even-balanced, feels heavier...

Clears/lobs are easy, my backhands returns gets better. Smashes were harder than my old Carltons, control is good. Defense wise, quite good, but maneuverability is average, due to its head-heaviness, but drives were fantastic... I can feel them travelling at a much faster speed, making my opponents run ragged trying to retrieve my backhand drives to the baseline. Drops/net play are ok, but I seldom used them because I'm an offensive minded player...

The racket is quite flexible and allows me to cover the front-court easily to kill of any short returns. Overall, I think this racket is very offensive and can be used for doubles as well as singles. My partner also praised the racket for its offensive nature.

Overall, I give this racket a 8 out of 10. Easier to adapt when switching from oval to ISO frame rackets. I have tried other ISO rackets, and always struggle to adapt. Comparing with a bunch of RSL rackets (Millineum 4170,4700,4800 & 4900) that I have tested recently, this racket easily outmuscled them. I highly recommend this racket... :)

2. Species

Species New Member

Seeing as I've just ordered one, thats nice to know!

It's the first time i'll own an iso racket, but other friends speak highly of them, so thought I'd give it a go.

Marcus, how did you decide on this one to start?

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Is it the same Isometric head shape as the Yonex Isometric?
    I thought the Carlton Powerblade was supposed to be a bit more square than the Yonex Iso.

4. Marcus Fong

IT Professional
    Yes, the PowerBlade is more square than other ISO rackets from Yonex.
    But remember, string the racket to at least 25lbs if u are an offensive minded player.

I bought the racket after doing some research in this forum and also I'm a big fan of Carlton! My Airblade superlite is not powerful enough and since Carlton has a new ISO model, I just gave it a try...

My rackets inventory..
    1. PowerBlade Superlite (2004)
    2. AirBlade Superlite (2003)
    3. AirBlade Kevlar Hi-T (2001)
    4. AirBlade 600 (2001) - wanna sell, anybody interested?

Actually, I'm very interested in getting the MP99/MP88/AT800DE. Maybe next year...

5. guanhui

guanhui New Member

Hi, Marcus. i found one shop in my city which sells powerblade superlite and interested in getting one. however it is out of stock at the moment so i didnt get a chance to see it.

Since u have one i think i've better ask u about the racket ruther than listen to the shop lady.:) my questions are:

1) is the recket normal length or 674mm?
    2) the shop lady said that the racket was around 95g, which is different to urs. are there different versions? she told me the colour is red.
    3) she said it was a head heavy racket. i hope we are taling about the same racket.:D

thanks in advance

6. other

other Regular Member

Student
    my ones are in storage..but from i remember, they are head heavy, red (with black bits), and are normal length:)

also they will have a ridged carlton grip, and also a weird see-through cone, with rubber bits inside.

7. ka_rasilainen

ka_rasilainen Regular Member

Many say that powerblade superlite is head hevy. I will get mine soon from ebay. But im really confused about powerblade superlite... Because all the websites (centralsports,sportmarkt,tennisnuts,racket-sport,....) say that it is very head light. And they also say that powerblade tour is even balanced, but its really head light. Im wondering where do these websites get their information:confused: :confused: .

8. other

other Regular Member

Student
    i don't know....but i measured mine by finding the balance point roughly using my finger, and then measuring up from the handle (no extra grip added) to the balance point. using my 300mm ruler, i was still some way off the balance point.

9. guanhui

guanhui New Member

thanks 4 the information mate. since that it is in ur storage, i guess u r not favourable towards it then, but is it possible that u tell us ur opinion on the racket?

i am currently using at700, ti10 and rsl 4900, i love them both. just want to add the superlite to my collection since i am a carlton fan. i had an old ar300 which is my all time favourit.

thanks again

10. Marcus Fong

IT Professional
    PowerBlade Superlite

1) is the recket normal length or 674mm?
    Yes, it's the same length with my other carltons.

2) the shop lady said that the racket was around 95g, which is different to urs. are there different versions? she told me the colour is red.
    Yes, the color is red and from all the websites that I have visited, it is quoted at 86g. But after stringing and applying the grip, it feels very much heavier.. quite strange, but it should be less than 95g!

3) she said it was a head heavy racket. i hope we are taling about the same racket.:D
    Yes, it's head heavy and if u are an offensive player, i highly recommend the racket to u. and it's a great singles racket too.

11. guanhui

guanhui New Member

thanks 4 the reply Marcus. hopefully i can get my hands on one this weekend. i do like head heaviness on my rackets, u can tell from my collection:D

12. Marcus Fong

IT Professional
    2nd Review....

After using the powerblade for > 1 month ~ 10 doubles & 2 singles matches...

I've developed some shouder and arm muscle aches, could be due to the head-heaviness of the racket. Have switched back to my old airblade superlite..

Looks like the racket is more suitable for singles play, since I play quite well with it againts a good opponent. As for doubles, because of the weight, i loss quite a bit of my racket speed & maneuvarabilty.. found it quite tough playing against fast attacking opponents..

So, guys.. what's your oppinion?

13. snasirin

snasirin Regular Member

Lecturer
    Dear All,

I have never tried a Carlton racquet before. Do you think that this Powerblade Superlite will be a good start for me?

14. violin_geek

violin_geek Regular Member

15. violin_geek

violin_geek Regular Member

Dooh, I just noticed this is a thread from 2004. :eek:

#15 violin_geek, Feb 12, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  16. SPaterson

SPaterson Regular Member

Student, Programmer
    Absolutely correct I believe, There's also the, except the Powerblade Lite is quoted as Head-light, whereas the Powerblade Superlite is quoted as Head-Super-Light.

My brother has a Carlton Powerblade Superlite, and it definately feels a head light racquet to me.

mmm, Yes...people have been digging up some old threads lately :p

17. snasirin

snasirin Regular Member

Lecturer
    I have tried powerblade superlight for a week now. Still struggling with the racquet as it was so difficult to manoeuvre. It makes me wonder whether this is really the racquet used by Ms Gail, 2006 All-England mixed-double runner-up. Perhaps I need more time to familiarise myself? Really really realy struggling though. The racquet is no where near Armortec 800 Offensive.

#17 snasirin, Mar 6, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  18. snasirin

snasirin Regular Member

Lecturer
    I have tried powerblade superlight for a week now. Still struggling with the racquet as it was so difficult to manoeuvre. It makes me wonder whether this is really the racquet used by Ms Gail, 2006 All-England mixed-double runner-up. Perhaps I need more time to familiarise myself? Really really realy struggling though. The racquet is no where near Armortec 800 Offensive.

19. SPaterson

SPaterson Regular Member

Student, Programmer
    A players ability to use a racquet has no real resemblence as to whether a Pro can use that racquet.

If you're implying you Switched, from the AT800 OF, to the Powerblade Superlite, I'm not really surprised you're having problems. The AT800 OF is a Stiff shafted very head heavy racquet. The Powerblade Superlite is Flex/Mid-Flexible and very head-light racquet. Two Very different racquets.

20. Vixen

Vixen Regular Member

I just purchased the powerblade superlite.. haven't had a chance to play with it yet...
    The grip size is a little small for me i think, its a G4 - but i guess i'll find out 4 def when i play... Also when i move the racquet quicky like a smash motion there is a kind of click sound coming from the handle area.... Not too sure about tha but again find out when i play i guess!!

V