Forehand grip problems

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mr. Anderson, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson Regular Member

Molecule builder
    My thumb slips from the broad side of the racket's grip to the small diagonal side when I do forehand clears (which is actually the universal grip instead).

How should I correct this problem? I don't know why, but I found it VERY awkward when I try to do overhead clears with the space between the thumb and the index finger pointing straight at the long narrow side and so I tend to let it slip a bit.

Also I see from the Grip Guide the the middle finger, ring finger and little finger rest on the diagonal side of the racket, but my classmates told me they should be resting on the broad side instead. Who is correct?

Guess I really should take up some formal training...

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I am, of course :cool:

Joking aside, bear in mind that different people have varyingly shaped hands. The fingers should wrap naturally around the racket. Exactly where they rest will also depend on grip size and how loosely you hold the racket. Try to get the thumb in the right place, and get the racket at the right angle in your hand; let your other fingers rest where they are comfortable.

My guess, however, is that you are using a grip that is slightly too small for you. The racket is slipping in your hand as you execute a forehand stroke; it is also slipping in the direction I would expect, if your grip was too loose.

Consider increasing the grip size *slightly* so that the racket no longer turns in your fingers unbidden.

3. Mr. Anderson

Molecule builder
    Well erm, I don't really think the problem is with the girp size as I slip regardless of what grip size I use. I tried the G3, G4 and G5, and I slip on all three. :(

The problem however I think has more to do with the stroke than the grip. As I have said in the previous post, if I keep the first section of my thumb stuck to the broad face, it feels very akward and I can bearly do a correct swing, let alone hit the shuttle. So I find that my hand slips everytime to correct itself from this trouble. However the peculiar thing is if I just hold the racket in my hands with the forehand grip, I have no trouble at all, but when I swing the racket, it becomes another story.

Some guys suggested pushing the thumb up a bit so it makes a 45 degree angle with the racket, others suggested tucking the index finger below the thumb (My index finger usually floats above my thumb and the 2nd section touches the long narrow side of the racket).

Well I can still play with the slipped grip and I can do some far clears but I'm becoming increasingly worried that if I keep an incorrect grip like this (someone please come in and tell me it's normal to slip! :p ) it will be very hard to change in the future and may inhibit further progressions.

4. Mr. Anderson

Molecule builder
    Well, since the grip size didn't really matter (or at least I slipped with all three), I ordered a G5 racket.

If I want to increase the grip size (which I doubt would help, but worth giving a try), do I add a new layer (or two layers) of leather/towel grip to the present one?

I have small hands by the way, my hands only measure 17.5 cm from the tip of the middle to the base of the wrist.

#4 Mr. Anderson, Oct 28, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    In order to get pronation of the racquet head during clears, I suspect the grip will have to change during the stroke.

So it could possibly be normal. Trouble is, we'd really have to see you perform the action in front of us to tell you properly.