Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Gade's exit will be a big loss to game says Taufiq Hidayat

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/w.../1/185984.html

Avishek Roy New Delhi, April 25, 2012

Excerpts:

"The game will not be the same after Gade's retirement. I was talking to him about that," Taufiq of the veteran Danish player.

"Chinese players are still dominating. There are not enough from other countries to challenge them," he said.

Gade felt the next few years will be interesting for word badminton. "I am going out and then there is Taufiq, Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei, Boonsak. They will not be there for long either and there will a whole generation change. The field will be open for the youngsters to come up and take the mantle.

"I have been thinking about quitting for a long time and my body is telling me that every day. You keep on pushing yourself but you can't do that always," said Gade, who reached the final of the inaugural India Open super Series last year and is seeded second this year.

"I have good memories of playing in India. I will be looking to give it all one last time in the Olympics. I will use this event as a preparation for the Olympics, to get a feel of my game."

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Somehow, I overlooked this article earlier, but, better late than never...

Medal at London Olympics possible: Peter Gade
    Saumyajit Basu, TNN | Apr 23, 2012, 12.21AM IST

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/12828996.cms

NEW DELHI: You may come across a better athlete but it's difficult to find a better sportsperson than Denmark's Peter Gade Christensen. (sic) The 35-year-old world No. 4, who will be seen in action at the India Open Super Series this week, has decided to call it a day after one last shot at the London Olympics. Excerpts from a candid chat with TOI..

How has your season been since your last India visit?

Well, the last six months of 2011 and the first part of the Olympic qualification was very good. However, in the end of 2011, I could feel that my body and mind was telling me that I needed a break and time and space to recharge. 2011 been a very tough year for me on and off court. In the last three months I played the price for this and my body has been tired and in need of time at home. Of course I'm not satisfied with the last three months but for me. Olympics is what matters now and everything else is a step on the way.

Your All-England experience has been a disappointment, since it is your last one. Or are you considering one more shot at it?

It was a disappointment, but mainly because of my injury in my right ankle. Of course, I wanted to end in a better way than at 03.00 o'clock in the morning. But as I said, my ankle is at the limit and I had an accident in practice a few days before the tournament. I tried but wasn't able to be 100% ready. No, I'm not considering one more time. This feels like the right time to say goodbye.

With London your last stop, how are you dreaming about it?

My dream is a medal and that's not impossible. I'll push my body and mind one more time to the limit.

Who is the best player you have played against?

Lin Dan, for sure.

How difficult will it be to actually say farewell to badminton?

It will be very difficult. It's a very emotional thing and I'm very humble in the way I expect myself to handle it. Badminton is such a big part of my life and identity, and life will be different when I put the racket to rest. But hopefully, the change will do me good.

In these days of hi-tech training, you often travel alone. Don't you feel the playing field is not even for you anymore?

In Denmark we have experts at different areas and they are working hard at home at the national center, but compared to many other countries I'm sure that we're behind in many areas.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've just posted a tribute to Peter Gade. You can read it here:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...74#post1893774

Please feel free to add your own thoughts messages and wishes for Peter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peter gone back to the VT80?

Looked like it from that photo on Badzine where he is comforting a red eyed LCW after he ''did'' his ankle

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

From PG's FB, July 26....

"Hey Guys, since monday I've been staying in the Olympic Village together with the rest of the danish Olympic Team. It's been a great experience and really enjoyed the very special spirit of an Olympic Village...but also some very hectic and busy days, with a lot of transport.. Today, me and the other players from our badminton-deligation moved to Wembley Plaza Hotel just next to Wembley Stadium, and we'll be staying here for the tournament.. I've felt quite good on the court during practice so far.. as my first match is on monday evening, I'll be using the next days for further practice, relaxing, physio-treatment and just try and get every element ready for kick off on monday...I'll be back soon.."

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here's a fantastic article on the NBC Olympics website. It includes an interview with PG as well as Lars Uhre, PG's coach, with some very insightful comments by both.

Despite age and long odds, Gade does not relent

By: Ian Ransom Updated: Jul 27

Read the entire story here:
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blog...ot-relent.html

Excerpts:

...The only non-Asian man in the singles top 10, the determined Dane is arguably the finest player without a podium finish on his resume.

Injuries and the misfortune of running into opponents playing the match of their lives have conspired to thwart Gade's ambitions, and he heads into his last Games with a sore ankle among a litany of aches and pains from a long and storied career.

..."One more time ... I need to push myself to take everything I can from my mind and body and we'll see if it's enough to do something really good.

..."I left my mark on the badminton world and I'm proud of that no matter what happens."

..."We can't rely on our volunteer-based club system any more," added Uhre.

"We need more funding but we don't need to do it the Chinese way or need Chinese amounts of funding to be able to compete.

...Gade echoed Uhre's calls for the Danish authorities to cough up more funding, but said he could not begrudge the Chinese success.

..."But my view is that I will never lay down. My view is that I always think of course there is a chance to beat them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw him beat the Korea player Shon Wan Ho and reached quarterfinal I believe in the London Olympic, I'm so happy for him since he really is my favorite player. And to be able to reach this far in his last Olympic it must be fantastic for him!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peter Gade, surprised he beat SWH in straight sets! Gives me confidence that he can beat CL. Go PG!!!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

peter
    play the best match of ur life
    reach the semi final! go go go!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have a video link of Peter Gade vs SWH ?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by V1lau View Post
    Peter Gade, surprised he beat SWH in straight sets! Gives me confidence that he can beat CL. Go PG!!!
    If PG beat CL, he may have a chance to win bronze against CJ. Just hope that CJ vs LD's match is according to form book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nokh88 View Post
    If PG beat CL, he may have a chance to win bronze against CJ. Just hope that CJ vs LD's match is according to form book.
    If he beats CL, I will be torn because I really want to see a LCW vs LD, but I really want PG to win the gold. If CL and CJ reach the final, I will watch tennis!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nokh88 View Post
    I am already expecting lee hyun il to beat CJ after CJ's yesterday poor performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    I am already expecting lee hyun il to beat CJ after CJ's yesterday poor performance.
    I'm thinking CJ practices with LD so much, that LYI will feel like playing a milder version of LD since they are both lefties. But now I hope LYI wins because badminton has had enough controversy already, I can already predict what people will say if CJ and LD meet in the SF!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good job Peter, I know you gave it your all. In my opinion you are one of the greatest players and certain have been a great ambassadar of the game for so many years. Salute!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

posted 45 minutes ago by PG on his FB account....

Hey Guys, just back at my hotel room following my final and last match at the Olympic Games. I lost to Chen Long from China 16-21 13-21. Well, actually I played some of my best badminton for a long time and really tried to get the edge of Chen Long.. but he's a really strong and disciplined player and he didn't give much away... Wow.. now its over at this level however I feel good about the fact... that I have a few more tournaments to say goodbye. Yes.. off course I feel disappointed that I couldn't get a medal but my opponent was better than me today and I gave everything I had in this tournament. I really enjoyed these Olympic Games. I enjoyed every minute of my games, and it's been such a pleasure to be part of the danish olympic team. I will stay in London for the next couple of days. supporting my teammates in the mixed doubles and mens doubles, who are still in for the medals.. and secondly, I need some great food and wine with my friends Thank you all once again for fantastic support here and everywhere else.. I'm so grateful, guys. Thanks!

Thank you, Peter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tq peter gade.we r going to miss u

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast