Gong Ruina

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. seawell

seawell Regular Member

Name: Ruina GONG
    Date of Birth: 1979
    Height: 1.70 m / 5'7"
    Profession:
    Hobbies:
    Other sports activities:
    Olympic event: Badminton
    Olympic qualification:
    NOC code: CHN
    Place of birth: Anhua, China
    Weight: 60 kg / 132 lbs
    Marital status:
    Started competing:
    National coach:
    Personal best:
    Season best:
    Olympic Solidarity:

General Interests
    Hobbies: Food, music, chatting (NOC 13/08/2004)
    LangSpoken: Mandarin
    Club: Hunan (NOC 13/08/2004)
    Handedness: R
    AddInformation:
    Other Information
    OLYMPIC DEBUT
    Athens will be the Olympic debut after being the number one-ranked player in the world on 1 May, 2004 when rankings were used to determine the 2004 Olympic competitors. (NBC Olympics 06/07/04)

ALL IN A NAME
    Her given name is made up of two Chinese characters. The first, 'Rui' means very wise and clever while the second, 'na', is a feminine character used for a girl's name. An only child, her father is a lawyer and her mother is a clerk, and she left home at the age of 12 to attend a sports school. (NBC Olympics 06/07/04)

Highlights
    The Competition Highlights section contains the following results:
    Last Olympic Cycle; Top 8 results at Olympic Games and World Championships. Top 3 results at World Grand Prix competitions.
    Historical; Medals at Olympic Games and World Championships.
    Rnk Event Year Venue

World Championships
    Winner Singles 2001 Seville, ESP
    Runner-up Singles 2003 Birmingham, GBR
    Semi Final Singles 1999 Copenhagen, DEN

World Grand Prix
    Winner Singles 2004 Yonex All England Open
    Winner Singles 2004 Swiss Open
    Winner Singles 2003 Realkredit Denmark Open
    Winner Singles 2002 China Open
    Winner Singles 2002 Indonesia Open
    Winner Singles 2001 Malaysia Open
    Winner Singles 1999 Sweden Open
    Winner Singles 1998 Brunei Open
    Winner Singles 1997 Hongkong Open
    Runner-up Singles 2004 Yonex Japan Open
    Runner-up Singles 2003 Hong Kong Open
    Runner-up Singles 2003 China Open
    Runner-up Singles 2002 Realkredit Denmark Open
    Runner-up Singles 2002 All England Open
    Runner-up Singles 2002 Noonnoppi Korea Open
    Runner-up Singles 2001 China Open
    Runner-up Singles 2000 Swiss Open
    Runner-up Singles 2000 Dutch Open
    Semi Final Singles 2004 Proton Eon Malaysia Open
    Semi Final Singles 2004 Noonnoppi Korea Open
    Semi Final Singles 2003 Yonex All England Open
    Semi Final Singles 2003 Yonex German Open
    Semi Final Singles 2003 Proton Eon Malaysia Open
    Semi Final Singles 2002 Singapore Open
    Semi Final Singles 2001 All England Open

Attached Files:

2. seawell

seawell Regular Member

Ruina GONG maybe retire in next year! :crying:

3. verve_pipe

verve_pipe Regular Member

student~!duh...
    where did you heard this news from?

4. - 73* -

- 73* - Regular Member

yea, is the source reliable?? i mean, she's only 23...

5. seawell

seawell Regular Member

in fact ,she was born in 1979.now she is 25 years old!

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not sure about the rumor of retiring, but there is news that Gong RN will be starring in a series next year. she will be the leading lady. she says she is doing it for fun and Li Yongbo was quick to come out and says that badminton training is number one priority and he doens't care as long as it doesn't affect her performance.

7. verve_pipe

student~!duh...
    starring in series as in those chinese series?

8. - 73* -

- 73* - Regular Member

9. labyrinthian

labyrinthian Regular Member

10. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

yes she's 23 cuz when she won the world championship she became the youngest world champion in history she was 19 or 20

11. seawell

seawell Regular Member

click here!
    http://sports.sohu.com/08/65/news211396508.shtml

last year, in a interview ,ZHOU MI said GONG RUINA and her are same ages!The IBF' record was worng.There are many mistakes in the IBF's records.LIN DAN was born in 1980, CHEN HONG was born in 1977,and XIA XUANXE was born in 1976!In china ,when the players young ,they reduce their ages,in order to won the junior games.That's chinese badminton team's secrets! ;)

12. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    is it absolutely certain? not that it really matters to me... but if it's true that the chinese are using such a strategy, is it possible that this 'secret' is so well kept that the IBF hasn't found out about it? and when they do find out, wouldn't the consequences be terrible for the chinese team for faking ages? would they risk the harms just to win a few junior championships? also wouldn't they be more vigilant rather than to reveal their 'strategy'?

it seems really weird to me!

13. economet

economet Regular Member

Rumour

Gong Ruina is definitely not going with Xia Xuanze. That's sure. But there is a rumour that Gong R is going with the Chinese actor and singer Qi Qing. Here is a picture of them both. And Li Yongbo is very unpleased about her intention to start a career in the show business.

Attached Files:

14. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Okay, I guess I can't ask Gong Ruina out anymore, from that picture :(

-dave

15. NB1700

NB1700 Regular Member

more of the news :D

Attached Files:

16. verve_pipe

student~!duh...
    eer...translation please? thank you!

17. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Translator to the rescue:

"His love affair with actress Joey Wong aside, Chyi Chin has seldom been the object of rumors. Recently though, gossip abounds in the mainland of his new love interest - World Badminton Champion, Gong Ruina.

Chyi Chin is currently located in Shanghai, where he is preparing to film a new series entitled "What do I love you with?" at the end of this month. One of the female leads in the series will be acting for her first time, not least the "Belle of the Badminton Industry" Gong Ruina herself. It was stated in a mainland report yesterday that Gong landed the role due to to a recommendation from Chyi, who acknowledged both her fame and quality. Further, Gong will be playing a sports star in the production that includes passionate scenes with Chyi.

The report also noted that while currently located at the Chinese badminton training center in Guangzhou, Gong spends long hours on the phone every night with a blissful expression on her face - although she has kept the identity of her conversation partner a secret, even to her room-mate(s). Similarly, Chyi returns to his production-rental apartment every evening after work and spends long hours on the phone. Members of the crew suspect the person on the other line is none other than Gong Ruina."

Translator's note:
    For those not in the know, Joey Wong was a very beautiful and famous actress during the 80s and early 90s (and when I say "beautiful", I really mean it. She has long hair and fair skin like a lot of entertainment industry people these days, but complete with a quality of her own that differentiates her from the current crop of teeny-boppers who - in my opinion - benefit only from hours under the flat-iron and at the colorist, not to mention the shameless marketing strategies of their recording companies).

The title of the series, "What do I love you with?" is also the title of one of Chyi Chin's more popular songs and sadly, a bad translation. Chyi Chin is an excellent singer. Some of his songs like "Xuan2 Ya2" (Cliff), "Yu2 Ren2 Ma3 Tou2" (Pier of the Fool - a duet with Taiwanese singer Xiong Tian Ping), "Ye4 Ye4 Ye4 Ye4" (Night Night Night Night - don't blame me for this title) and "Yuan2 Lai2 De4 Wo3" (The Actual Me) are perennial favorites of mine. And yes, they are soapy Asian ballads.

18. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    At Kwun's request (and because I have too much time on my hands as a fresh grad), I am translating another article.

"Belle of the Badminton Industry" Gong Ruina - earlier rumored to be arriving in Shanghai for filming - did so secretly from her home in Changsha yesterday afternoon.

"I am only here as a guest presenter for a prize presentation ceremony," explained Gong at an interview.

Career: Retirement after recovery
    In November, Gong Ruina secretly returned to Beijing, having been eliminated from the Women's Singles Competition at the China Open. Then, media speculation had it that Gong left to prepare for the television series "What Do I Love You With?", in which she will star opposite Chyi Chin.

In reality however, there was a hidden story.

"I returned to Beijing in advance because my waist injury was worsening."

Gong explained that her injury had exacerbated upon returning to China after the Athens Olympics.

"Prior to the China Open, the National Squad went to Sanshui, Guangdong for an exhibition match. At that time, I was already in a terrible state."

At the end of the China Open therefore, Gong packed her bags in Beijing and returned to her home in Hunan.

"Training is very intensive in the national team, which makes it very difficult for me to recuperate. After discussing it with the team, the (coaching) director approved my request to return home."

Back home in Hunan, Gong's pace of life has slowed down significantly.

"The intervetebral disc at my waist is protruding, exerting pressure on the nerve and causing my left leg to go numb. can only recover gradually."

Gong is currently still training with the Hunan badminton team.

Life: Entertainment after retiring
    Gong Ruina said she will return to the national squad for tournament preparations after Lunar New Year.

"Following the closed-door training at Pujiang this year, I won the Swiss and All-England Open Titles. So I hope I can return to my peak after next year's training and contribute to our quest for the Sudirman Cup."

But Gong admitted it was not up to her to say if she could return to her original condition.

"This would depend on the extent of my recovery. Actually, it's very difficult. I might choose to retire after the tournaments next year."

At present, Zhang Ning, Chen Hong, Gao Ling, Zhang Jun and Xia Xuanze all have applied to be coaches. So, will she take a similar path following retirement?

To this, Gong replied, "I am definitely not going to be a coach. The responsibilities and pressure involved are far higher than those of a player's. I don't think I have the ability to handle such things."

Continuing after a momentary pause: "If I were to retire, my first choice would be the entertainment industry. I hope to try a diffrent lifestyle. I do not wish to have only memories of badminton when I grow old."

Gong said that having played badminton for so many years, she would continue to put heart and soul into another channel - like the athlete she has always been. If opportunities arise in the future, she would try participating in some acting classes to up her degree of professionalism.

"What" has currently ceased production due to coordination problems among the crew. Gong Ruina will soon return to the national sqaud for training and the possibilities of her appearing in this series are slim.

To this, Gong expressed, "If it doesn't work out this time round, next time then. There will always be opportunities."

Relationship: No partner as yet   
    Thanks to "What", rumors have abounded between Gong Ruina and male lead Chyi Chin. Certain media reports state that the duo spend long hours chatting on the phone every night.

"There is no such thing actually," she said with a shrug, denying the rumor that arose out of nowhere.

If so, why did she not clarify herself earlier?

"That's my personality," replied Gong, "I will not make the first move in saying or doing anything. Besides, the more I try to clarify myself, the more the media will whip it up."

So, who does the belle of the badminton team actually like?

"To be honest, I do not have any special requirements. The most important thing is the connection between two people."

Gong Ruina told reporters that she is currently still single.

"Many people feel I look like someone who would have a boyfriend, so I have no suitors at present."

Morning Papers Special Correspondent: Ruan Ming Tou
    Translator: Adeline Tan
    Source:
    http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2004-12-17/13201305557.shtml

#18 Adel, Dec 18, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  19. flikflak

flikflak Regular Member

Joey Wong, you mean that Beautiful Magical Ghost? She's at the same generation with Anita Yuen, Maggie Cheung, and Sally Yeh.

Hmmm, I really missed her, I was her fan and Maggie Cheung.... reflect on my childhood. :D

I heard after her retirement at mid 1990's, she became a singer.

Attached Files:

20. clinton

clinton Regular Member

sw engineer