User Tag List

Page 189 of 295 FirstFirst ... 89 139 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 239 289 ... LastLast
Results 3,197 to 3,213 of 5001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bad's fan View Post
    i remember that LD didn't won much too before Beijing. but when Beijing started, he perform quite well i think. so i hope he will perform well again this LOG, despite his off-form performance till nowdays.

about LD not smashes, yes, maybe you're right. but somehow, he still reached the final of AE2012 and didn't lose a match in TC. so i don't think that he is that bad.

just hope he now prepared well for the OG, can advanced through the final, give us amazing match to talk about, and would be better if he can grab the gold again.
    He needs those smashes again to prevent his opponents from narrowing the score gaps. Too many cheap points he has given away from his attempted long rallies and trickshots that failed to work.

LCW at his best would have caused a major problem to LD. Now that he is injured, reaching the semifinal is already considered a miraculous achievement for him. Should he meet CL/CJ, i swear they will make his injury relapse by stretching the match to three games on purpose.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to me many of Lin Dan's ardent fans expect nothing less than LOG gold from him,that's natural. For me,no less a fan than any of you,it's OK really whether he wins it or not for reasons I've stated a number of times before.

The OG is held once in 4 years, so many things can happen in between and 4 years is a long time - you're 4 years older, 25 or 29 years of age is a big deal for a top athlete. Apart from the physical condition is the motivation - if you haven't won anything big, you would probably psych yourself up and give it your best shot. In the case of Lin Dan who has won practically everything there is in badminton, it's more of the same - yeah,double gold medallist is special but the motivation is not the same as winning his first OG gold or 3rd/4th annual world championship,if you know what I mean.

And I will go so far as to say,after the OG, whatever the outcome,the more so if he wins gold again,Li Dan will never be the same again. What else is there to strive for, other than answer the call of national duty in team championships? Badminton is Lin Dan's life but his life isn't only badminton,that's how I see it.

I believe his sport psychologist and coaches are aware of his situation. Yes,he's still their main hope for OG gold, but I somehow feel they have prepared another trump card, just in case, Chen Long,perhaps? I suspect Chen Long hasn't been playing to his true potential lately, he is working very hard and biding his time to unleash it all during the games;hope I'm right. Don't forget,Chen Long beat Lee CW three times when the latter was at his prime with no considerable injury nor beset by family problems, at least not as serious as when he was playing Shon Wan Ho. Just my two cents' worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    It seems to me many of Lin Dan's ardent fans expect nothing less than LOG gold from him,that's natural. For me,no less a fan than any of you,it's OK really whether he wins it or not for reasons I've stated a number of times before.

The OG is held once in 4 years, so many things can happen in between and 4 years is a long time - you're 4 years older, 25 or 29 years of age is a big deal for a top athlete. Apart from the physical condition is the motivation - if you haven't won anything big, you would probably psych yourself up and give it your best shot. In the case of Lin Dan who has won practically everything there is in badminton, it's more of the same - yeah,double gold medallist is special but the motivation is not the same as winning his first OG gold or 3rd/4th annual world championship,if you know what I mean.

And I will go so far as to say,after the OG, whatever the outcome,the more so if he wins gold again,Li Dan will never be the same again. What else is there to strive for, other than answer the call of national duty in team championships? Badminton is Lin Dan's life but his life isn't only badminton,that's how I see it.

I believe his sport psychologist and coaches are aware of his situation. Yes,he's still their main hope for OG gold, but I somehow feel they have prepared another trump card, just in case, Chen Long,perhaps? I suspect Chen Long hasn't been playing to his true potential lately, he is working very hard and biding his time to unleash it all during the games;hope I'm right. Don't forget,Chen Long beat Lee CW three times when the latter was at his prime with no considerable injury nor beset by family problems, at least not as serious as when he was playing Shon Wan Ho. Just my two cents' worth.
    You harbored too much expectation on Chen Long. My concern is he will disappoint you again in the group stage. He is not as great as you thought he might be. He isn't Bao Chunlai. I predict Chen Long to exit the tournament without any medal as expected. He can lose to anybody the same as he could beat anybody. Another Wang Xin case here.

Chen Jin is China's real backup plan but does he have what it takes to win gold in Lin Dan's place maybe. All talks in end boils down to Lin Dan as the main trump card. At the age of 28, his game should never have been on the decline. Instead he should be on the same par or even better than LCW. Watch how and what kind of player LCW has become in the past two years? Again I am comparing him with LCW simply because LCW in the late 20s has reached the echelon of his game.

LCW can dive, smash, do trickshots, and move so much faster than his opponents in every rally. Right now, you have to agree LD is unable to execute these moves consistently. This will be potentially a big problem for him in London.

Why Chinese players always complain about fatigue? Aren't they supposed to be fittest athlete in badminton ?

Seems to me only Chinese players are the only ones to highlight they have poor stamina among other players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LD isn't unable to execute these shots, he just doesn't want/need to. You're right that his performance in recent tournaments has been somewhat lacking compared to his abilities, but it's still been enough to win every single of his matches in the TC, and that's saying quite a lot. I'd say he's been at 70% of his capabilities in the TC, but we will see a completely different LD when the OG start. I'm sure he's putting all his effort into training right now. I expect him to be at least as good as in the 2011 WC.
    Another thing worth considering is that he has won Gold before, so I believe there isn't as much pressure on him as in 2008 when he was playing in front of his home crowd, trying to win his first medal after a terribly disappointing performance in Athens 2004. We all know he's probably the strongest player mentally, so for me, he's still the big favourite to win the title. I don't see anyone except LCW in the form of his life (which isn't the case as of now) causing him trouble, so I gu (which isn't the case as of now) causing him trouble, so I guess LD can only beat himself.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by repentedboy View Post
    You harbored too much expectation on Chen Long. My concern is he will disappoint you again in the group stage. He is not as great as you thought he might be. He isn't Bao Chunlai. I predict Chen Long to exit the tournament without anye20medal as expected. He can lose to anybody the same as he could beat anybody. Another Wang Xin case here.

Chen Jin is China's real backup plan but does he have what it takes to win gold in Lin Dan's place maybe. All talks in end boils down to Lin Dan as the main trump card. At the age of 28, his game should .ever have been on the decline. Instead he should be on the same par or even better than LCW. Watch how and what kind of player LCW has become in the past two years? Again I am comparing him with LCW simply because LCW in the late 20s has reached the echelon of his game.

LCW can dive, smash, do trickshots, and move so much faster than his opponents in every rally. Right now, you have to agree LD is unable to execute these moves consistently. This will be potentially a big problem for him in London.

Why Chinese players always complain about fatigue? Aren'te20they supposed to be fittest athlete in badminton ?

Seems to me only Chinese players are the only ones to highlight they have poor stamina among other players.
    Who says that? Not fatigue unless you mean mental fatigue or,more accurately,lack of motivation,in Lin Dan's case. I cite the case of Bjorn Borg,the legendary tennis great,who shocked the world by his sudden retirement at age 26 when he was still at or near his peak, giving "lack of motivation" as the reason. Absolutely,top athletes should never complain of lack of fitness as an excuse for below par performance. Lack of motivation is an entirely different matter, nobody can help you on this.

I think apart from LD, LCW and CL,if you like,h of whom has his special problem,we should pay a bit more attention on the dark horses or underdogs. Among them,besides Chen Jin which I think you're in agreement,my picks are Lee Hyun Il, Sho Sasaki, Shon Wan Ho, Taufik Hidayat, Simon Santoso, Jan O Jorgensen - I'd like to include Peter Gade but the physical demands on a 35/36 yr old body may be a bit too much though he doubtless has all the skills and experience to carry him through, maybe up to semi-final.

I don't know why,my gut feelings tell me,somehow it's going to be Chen Long's time this Olympics - you got to watch his three sensational victories over Lee CW to convince yourself of his rise, and he's 23 yrs old now, at about the same age as when LD and LCW first signaled their ascent to the top.

Well,let's see come London Olympics, who is going to spring a huge surprise on us.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yves. View Post
    LD isn't unable to execute these shots, he just doesn't want/need to. You're right that his performance in recent tournaments has been somewhat lacking compared to his abilities, but it's still been enough to win every single of his matches in the TC, and that's saying quite a lot. I'd say he's been at 70% of his capabilities in the TC, but we will see a completely different LD when the OG start. I'm sure he's putting all his effort into training right now. I expect him to be at least as good as in the 2011 WC.
    Another thing worth considering is that he has won Gold before, so I believe there isn't as much pressure on him as in 2008 when he was playing in front of his home crowd, trying to win his first medal after a terribly disappointing performance in Athens 2004. We all know he's probably the strongest player mentally, so for me, he's still the big favourite to win the title. I don't see anyone except LCW in the form of his life (which isn't the case as of now) causing him trouble, so I gu (which isn't the case as of now) causing him trouble, so I guess LD can only beat himself.
    Agree,you summed it up so well. At the moment,only Lin Dan can beat himself,he is his own worst enemy.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May I make bold to suggest a possible solution to Lin Dan's lack of motivation problem. I was thinking if Li Ning could offer Lin Dan a joint business venture (maybe not the existing one which is already highly lucrative but a new one) on condition that he continues to play top level badminton for say the next 3 to 5 years. This beats LD having to play and win matches/tournaments to earn his not-so-attractive rewards. What's more he's doing it for his own company, as spokesperson and as part of his company's marketing campaign.

That way,Lin Dan may be motivated enough but presumably not as high as before at his peak, it would be sufficient to push him on with the thought that he is planning for his future retirement with good prospects of a long-lasting,stable and possibly high recurrent income source that may last him a lifetime,hopefully.

Needless to say, it's probably just wishful thinking on my part. Li Ning is now basically a business man more than a sportsman though the sporting spirit will stay with him forever. Well,I trust if he ever thought about it,he and his coterie will do an investment analysis before even broaching it to Lin Dan. Moreover,quite many businesspeople do support worthy causes and contribute to the nation Just my two-cents' worth. (Lin Dan,no harm trying,go talk to Li Ning and his business associates).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally,I won't use the Olympics as a benchmark of a player's achievement for three reasons:-

1) it's a once-in-4-years event, not annual,how many such event can a player take part in throughout his career?;

2) it's not the strongest of tournaments, the SS/SSP and WC are stronger;

3) because of its infrequency, other factors also come into play that could be arbitrary and extraneous, such as injury happening at the wrong time (LCW is a case in point),personal problems (also happened to LCW or other family matter), political boycott (as happened in 1980 when US boycotted the Moscow OG and the 1984 Soviet Union and 14 Eastern Bloc countries boycott of Los Angeles OG).

Still its standing and importance cannot be denied,not least its rarity, but not so much as a measure of strength and prowess. It is certainly one of the major titles, not the highest though. In other words,we should give it its due but not over-rate its significance. Just my opinion.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    Personally,I won't use the Olympics as a benchmark of a player's achievement for three reasons:-

1) it's a once-in-4-years event, not annual,how many such event can a player take part in throughout his career?;

2) it's not the strongest of tournaments, the SS/SSP and WC are stronger;

3) because of its infrequency, other factors also come into play that could be arbitrary and extraneous, such as injury happening at the wrong time (LCW is a case in point),personal problems (also happened to LCW or other family matter), political boycott (as happened in 1980 when US boycotted the Moscow OG and the 1984 Soviet Union and 14 Eastern Bloc countries boycott of Los Angeles OG).

Still its standing and importance cannot be denied,not least its rarity, but not so much as a measure of strength and prowess. It is certainly one of the major titles, not the highest though. In other words,we should give it its due but not over-rate its significance. Just my opinion.
    not the highest?
    The yard stick is to ask any players which title(s) they wouldn't swap for the Olympic title.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

err, one of my previous post get deleted? but why? any mistake in it?

the OG is special because the 'once in 4 year' thing i think. hehe. that's why many players want it so bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    not the highest?
    The yard stick is to ask any players which title(s) they wouldn't swap for the Olympic title.
    I wholeheartedly agree with Justin here. Olympics is important to most people because it's a platform for everyone show their
    ability to contribute to their country; winning the gold or any other medal does not only bolster the country's pride, it also
    plays a big part in the future economic and political landscape development of that particular country.

Then again, Olympics should never be used as the only benchmark to define how great a badminton player is. To me , that's rubbish.
    Winning a tournament that occurs every four years does not overwrite/overpower other/miscellaneous achievements of a badminton player.

Take Ji Xinpeng for example. He won the gold but does that mean he is a great player ? I find him pretty sh!t and even Peter Gade
    could not believe a player like him could win the Olympics. His gold does not come close to what Peter Gade or even
    other badminton players have strived to achieve.

Winning the Olympics is a great thing and yes it's a major event but I reckon it should never be termed as a condition for a
    player to be great.
    Whoever wins the Olympics, good for them. They can celebrate the victory overnight. After that, to be honest, what's the big deal?!

You are one of the lucky ones who manage to win an event that happens every four years.
    I feel Olympics is overrated and overstated by many people just because of its rare occurence. Other than that, there's no big deal in winning it.

To the Chinese, it's their responsibility to win the gold not because it is a must for them to be great, but the pressure is there
    for them as a member of the Chinese Olympic team to deliver as many gold as possible to overtake team USA that relies on ridiculous systems and certain sports that gives them the advantage to obtain many gold medals.

All England and World Championship are the best benchmarks. I rest my case

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    not the highest?
    Understand,I get your point.

Let me illustrate, Ji Xinpeng won Sydney 2000 OG gold and,apparently,nothing else of significance while Xia Xuanze silver and the world championship 2003 plus a few other titles (AE 2000) more than the former. Which of the two is the better or greater player and they both only got to participate once in the OG? I'd say it's XXZ but you'd be right to say he would probably wish to trade one or two of his major titles for the Olympic gold.

Because of its world historic significance(national glory,pride,honour,prestige) and rarity,the OG medal is like a collector's item or collectible, more people people own the WC or AE title than the OG gold. That comprises its perceived subjective value, I supposed.

To BWF,the OG badminton event is equivalent to the world championship which ,for that reason,is not held during Olympic year although I still think the WC overall strength is slightly higher and there is no artificial country participants limit if I'm not wrong.

So my point is that just because a player didn't win the OG gold doesn't mean he's not a great player for having won many other major titles. Don't forget badminton was first introduced into the Olympics in 1992 at Barcelona and how many players get to play in the Olympics and even then not more than once,let alone win it. To put it another way, how much a particular player dreams of winning the Olympics is not the same as saying how strong the event is.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by repentedboy View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with Justin here. Olympics is important to most people because it's a platform for everyone show their
    ability to contribute to their country; winning the gold or any other medal does not only bolster the country's pride, it also
    plays a big part in the future economic and political landscape development of that particular country.

Then again, Olympics should never be used as the only benchmark to define how great a badminton player is. To me , that's rubbish.
    Winning a tournament that occurs every four years does not overwrite/overpower other/miscellaneous achievements of a badminton player.

Take Ji Xinpeng for example. He won the gold but does that mean he is a great player ? I find him pretty sh!t and even Peter Gade
    could not believe a player like him could win the Olympics. His gold does not come close to what Peter Gade or even
    other badminton players have strived to achieve.

Winning the Olympics is a great thing and yes it's a major event but I reckon it should never be termed as a condition for a
    player to be great.
    Whoever wins the Olympics, good for them. They can celebrate the victory overnight. After that, to be honest, what's the big deal?!

You are one of the lucky ones who manage to win an event that happens every four years.
    I feel Olympics is overrated and overstated by many people just because of its rare occurence. Other than that, there's no big deal in winning it.

To the Chinese, it's their responsibility to win the gold not because it is a must for them to be great, but the pressure is there
    for them as a member of the Chinese Olympic team to deliver as many gold as possible to overtake team USA that relies on ridiculous systems and certain sports that gives them the advantage to obtain many gold medals.

All England and World Championship are the best benchmarks. I rest my case
    Right,you made a valid point that I forgot to emphasize. The Olympic Games is more important to the nation than the individual, to project her sporting power and in the socio-political sense as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although all of your points are valid, I believe that the Olympics are still the most important and probably also the hardest tournament that there is, simply because of the status that it has. Every player knows that they get only one chance in four years, for some even only one chance in their career, that makes them extra motivated and they have to play under an awful lot of pressure. With the AE and the WC you know that you can try again next year, but with the OG a lot of players know that they must win it this time because few are those who get 3 or 4 chances like PG or TH. So for me it is the most mentally demanding tournament that there is, and that's where true champions shine.
    Having said that, I do agree that you can achieve greatness without winning the OG. I think it was Ian Wright who once said as a commentator that Cai/Fu won't be among the best pairs of all time for him. if they don't win the Olympics. Personally, I believe that's nonsense for a pair that has won basically everything that there is, including 4 WCs and also a silver medal at the OG.

One more thing, I don't think LD is lacking motivation actually, he has repeatedly said that he'd like to stay around as long as Gade, so I gues he's still enjoying it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm, yeah. i think i can accept the point from Justin L and repentedboy. the points are make sense too afterall.
    but for some reason that i can't tell, the OG title is somehow very important to the players themselves. it looks like the final target everybody want to chase on. if not, why PG, LD, LCW, TH, CY/FHF, JJS/LYD, TA/LN, WXL/YY, WYH, SN, JS, and all other players really prepared themselves for?

it's again another relative problem maybe, depend on how we want to look on it.
    peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Olympics is an overrated competition in badminton terms

Quote Originally Posted by bad's fan View Post
    hmm, yeah. i think i can accept the point from Justin L and repentedboy. the points are make sense too afterall.
    but for some reason that i can't tell, the OG title is somehow very important to the players themselves. it looks like the final target everybody want to chase on. if not, why PG, LD, LCW, TH, CY/FHF, JJS/LYD, TA/LN, WXL/YY, WYH, SN, JS, and all other players really prepared themselves for?

it's again another relative problem maybe, depend on how we want to look on it.
    peace.
    A lot of people including the players themselves (except the Chinese players) must realise winning the Olympics is not the final answer to whether you are a great player or not. It's ridiculous. To the Chinese, nation comes first before the individual glory.

When they lose, the first thing that comes into mind "ah i messed up China's chance to add another gold in their tally, not my chance of becoming an Olympic champion"

Similarly to Lee CHong Wei, he is trying his best to win not because he thinks that's the ultimate prize he must win to become a known great player. I know he is already a great player at late age. He is motivated by the fact Malaysia had failed so many times to land a gold and this is his chance to help Malaysia win it. Again national pride comes first.

Some other players simply do not get it. Winning the Olympics is not a solution to every doubt. Olympic is all about luck as well which does not apply for All England and World Championship.

Olympic you could have most of the crappiest players in your draw and you could be lucky enough to even reach the final and it's an event that does not allow all the best players to compete.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are we really going to attack the Olympics? Did you forget it takes one year of good results to even qualify for a chance to participate in the Olympic tournament itself. What you think of as luck with regards to Ji Xinpeng, I can reinterpret that to being how hard it is to actually win an Olympics, because the field of competitors is trying as hard as they can to win. Don't forget he beat young Taufik, young Peter Gade, and Hedrawan who went on to win the WC the next year. You might not consider him great, but he is definitely is not a "sh!t player" and to call him such is unnecessarily disrespectful.

Now to bring the conversation back to Lin Dan, yes the Olympic isn't the only factor that makes him a contender for the "best ever", but it sure does help his case and anyone in the future you put up against Lin Dan, better have at least one Olympic Gold in his badminton resume if we're going to be talking about "best ever". And in Lin Dan's case, it was the way he won and who he won against!