User Tag List

Page 232 of 315 FirstFirst ... 132 182 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 282 ... LastLast
Results 3,928 to 3,944 of 5345
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how sweet is this couple

Attachment 148031

The video of LD spread his love:

http://video.sina.com.cn/p/sports/o/...862773487.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suetyan View Post
    how sweet is this couple

Attachment 148031

Iker Casillas and Sara Carbonero of badminton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suetyan View Post
    how sweet is this couple

Attachment 148031

Haha at first I was like who would video this, and more importantly who would watch this? After considering this question for about a second i clicked on the link.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still in disbelief, speechless and amazed at the same time. For Lin Dan to be out of competition for 6-8 months and without proper training for first 6 out of the 8 months, then to come back and almost immediately win the world championship beating the in-form WR#1,Lee CW, and #2,Chen Long, is unprecedented in the history of badminton. How did he do it? Apart from his prodigious talent,I'd attribute it to his tremendous willpower, self-discipline, dedication, a strong sense of duty and responsibility, willingness to work hard and intelligence that make him such an exceptional champion.

I've underestimated him, wrongly assuming his waning motivation will be his main drawback and that his short (about 2-3 months) intensive training regimen may be insufficient for him to be match-fit at such a high level of competition but he proved me wrong by winning his 5th World Championship by working out a new strategy, a new style of play which I call Lin Dan version 3, that best suits his present age and physical condition.

Bravo,Super Dan ! You Are The Greatest Ever !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that he is really amazing. He understand the game more than anybody else. He has switched his style of winning from 100m sprinter to marathon runner. To win world champion at age of 30, he has to put his stamina as priority. He basically outrun LCW in the last year world championship, London 2012 and this year world championship. The pattern is consistently similar. He basically keep the pace with LCW in the first game and put more energy to game 2 as well as the second half of game 3. He is a very intelligent player.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    I'm still in disbelief, speechless and amazed at the same time. For Lin Dan to be out of competition for 6-8 months and without proper training for first 6 out of the 8 months, then to come back and almost immediately win the world championship beating the in-form WR#1,Lee CW, and #2,Chen Long, is unprecedented in the history of badminton. How did he do it? Apart from his prodigious talent,I'd attribute it to his tremendous willpower, self-discipline, dedication, a strong sense of duty and responsibility, willingness to work hard and intelligence that make him such an exceptional champion.

I've underestimated him, wrongly assuming his waning motivation will be his main drawback and that his short (about 2-3 months) intensive training regimen may be insufficient for him to be match-fit at such a high level of competition but he proved me wrong by winning his 5th World Championship by working out a new strategy, a new style of play which I call Lin Dan version 3, that best suits his present age and physical condition.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post

Like I said: well rested . V3? V2.2 more like it ...
    Last edited by demolidor; 08-12-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agree with many others amazement and disbelief that LD can take the title after not competing for 6-9 months. That just shows how incredibly dominant he is in this sport.

Just like Michael Schumacher in F1 racing, Tiger Woods in golf, or Lance Armstrong in cycling (that was before the truth came out .)

But anyways, if anyone looks up the pinnacle of badminton, LD's picture will no doubt be always there at the very top.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations for the 3rd major title in a row!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Agree with many others amazement and disbelief that LD can take the title after not competing for 6-9 months. That just shows how incredibly dominant he is in this sport.

Just like Michael Schumacher in F1 racing, Tiger Woods in golf, or Lance Armstrong in cycling (that was before the truth came out .)

But anyways, if anyone looks up the pinnacle of badminton, LD's picture will no doubt be always there at the very top.
    with the help of wc, cl & ac (wild card, chen long & air conditioning)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I could get a wild card and a first round gifted victory against Chen Long and I'd still go out in the second round One match that might or might not be fixed didn't make him the Champion, and neither is he a snake that gets faster the hotter it gets, so the AC bothered him just the same as LCW.
    Also, everyone is fast to overlook the fact that playing against team mates is the only time CL doesn't get coached....all his victories (most over LCW) came with the coaches helping him out before and during the match, working out strategies before and pointing out weaknesses or adapting the strategy during. Against Lin Dan, no one helps him. That's where Lin Dan's experience comes in handy - he doesn't (really) need a coach (anymore).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before the Final, I also had the feeling that CL was not doing his best against LD. Either due to his respect or awe towards LD, CL simply had must less of his usual aggressive attacks!

However, after watching the Final, I come to believe it was due to LD’s superior control on the shuttle. Even LCW could not make as many attacks as usual! As CL played with LD day in and day out, he probably knew it would be suicide if he launched those attacks blindly. The exceptional defense and counter attack by LD would kill him in an instance!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei retires on match point in world c'ships final

Published on Aug 11, 2013
    8:34 PM

• http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/st...Li%20Dan8e.jpg
      China's Lin Dan has now won his fifth world title, although he was unseeded at this year's event because of his low world ranking following months of inaction after last year's Olympics. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/st...%20Chong1e.jpg
      Malaysian world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei stunned the badminton world when he retired on championship point in the men's singles final at the world championships on Sunday. -- FILE PHOTO: AFP

GUANGZHOU (China) - Malaysian world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei stunned the badminton world when he retired on championship point in the men's singles final at the world championships on Sunday.

He had been trailing China's Lin Dan 21-16, 13-21, 17-20 when he decided he could not carry on further owing to injury.
      Lee's retirement means Lin has now won his fifth world title, although he was unseeded at this year's event because of his low world ranking following months of inaction after last year's Olympics.

In the women's doubles, the defending champions, Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang of China, had opened the proceedings by beating Korean eighth seeds Eom Hye Won and Jang Ye Na 21-14, 18-21, 21-8 to retain their title.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lin takes world title after Lee retires hurt

20130811_lindan.jpg

China's Lin Dan, (R), draped in a Chinese national flag, kisses his wife Xie Xingfang during the awards ceremony after winning his men's singles final against Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei at World Badminton Championships in Guangzhou, south China's Guangdong province on August 11, 2013.

AFP
    Sunday, Aug 11, 2013

GUANGZHOU - Chinese superstar Lin Dan took the badminton world title for a fifth time Sunday after his arch rival Lee Chong Wei was stretchered off the court in the third game.

The current world number one from Malaysia dropped to his haunches at 16-19 down and tried to recover but had to retire from the match at 20-17 - leaving Lin, who is world and Olympic champion, to take the title 16-21, 21-13, 20-17.

Lee had been hoping to end a run of high-profile defeats at the hands of Lin - widely regarded as the game's best-ever player - who beat him in the previous world title men's singles final and in the two last Olympic finals.

Lin, 29, known as "Super Dan", was making his comeback at the tournament with a controversial wildcard place after a year on the sidelines to spend time with his family.

The two badminton legends put on a brilliant display in the first set in front of a packed Tianhe gymnasium in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou.

Lin took an early lead, leaving the crowd gasping with an almost involuntary lightning reflex return at the net to go 5-3 up. The return was so quick that he hardly seemed to know about it himself.

Lee got back on level terms but Lin got the better of a titanic rally to go into the break 11-10 up.

The two stayed neck and neck, showing off their best badminton - a nimble Lee leaping around the court and Lin moving fluidly often at full stretch to reach the Malaysian's well-placed shots.

Lee pulled ahead with Lin berating himself after putting a return long to go behind 14-18, and the Malaysian capitalised to take the first game 21-16.

Lin came out fighting in the second, romping to a merciless 11-1 lead with Lee leaving shots to go long that dropped just in.

As the temperature soared in the stadium with the air conditioning seemingly off during the second game, the crowd fanned themselves furiously and Lee battled to catch up, but Lin took the second 21-13.

Lee came out fighting in the third game with the temperature in the stadium still roasting hot. Lin winced as he hit the net again to drop 4-8 behind.

But the defending champion battled back, with precision shots to the baseline sailing past Lee to go into the break 11-10 up.

The battle ended after Lin went 19-16 up in the third with a smash down the line and Lee crouched down on his haunches.

Lee's legs were sprayed by a doctor called onto the court, and he won the next point with lightning returns before dropping to the floor again in the middle of the next point.

The crowd shouted his name in encouragement and Lin went over to his opponent's side of the court to speak to him. But the umpire announced the Malaysian was retiring injured at 20-17, leaving a shirtless Lin to celebrate while Lee was stretchered off.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big congratz to Super Dan great comeback...5X WC!!! (= Park Joo Bong)
    What an achievement!!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I am reluctant to compare Lin Dan's five World Championship titles to Park Joo Bong's ( 2 in MD and 3 in XD ) who is a doubles player, Men's Singles being the blue ribbon event. I'm in favour of comparing like with like.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, MD is not quite as hard on the body as the endless miles the singles players collect in their years. Although PJB can probably be considered a greater talent than LD (excelling in all three disciplines, as he was fielded in singles as well a couple times and had outstanding success there as well), nobody will ever know whether he'd have been able to achieve the same as LD. However you'll also have to account for the fact that the WC was only a bi-annual event in his time, his 5 titles are actually worth more than the same 5 would be today - in 3 WC, he collected 5 titles, participating only 5 times. In today's terms, that's closer to playing 6-7 (depending on how many Olympic years you have in that period), collecting 10-12 titles

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree that PJB achievement was during WC still a bi-annual event. But at the same time, as double player, he had maximum 2 chances in one event compare to LD's single shot. So comparing these 2 legends achievement can't be done accurately i think.

Let them be legend in their own way.