User Tag List

Page 237 of 294 FirstFirst ... 137 187 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 287 ... LastLast
Results 4,013 to 4,029 of 4996
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedShuttle View Post
    Latest news according to LYB: http://sports.qq.com/a/20130908/004391.htm

LD will not play any tournaments in the next three months. He will sit back to ponder the meanings of life. And then LD will make a decision to retire or to continue till Rio '16.

Should LD decide to continue, he will back full time in January.
    LD must be pondering why LCW keeps on losing to him - even after not playing
    for such a long time - and how come he can play without ac and LCW cannot.
    Must be perplexing to LD.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Footwork_816 View Post
    Can somebody translate the interviews? I know its a lot but I definitely would appreciate it!
    Only the last paragraph is about Lin Dan for which RedShuttle has translated the gist of it. I'd just add that LYB hoped Lin Dan would carry on and play in Rio'16 as well. No mention of what LD would do should he decide on retirement though as we know LYB would want him to take up coaching which LD has expressed no interest.

Elsewhere I've read that he has pulled out of the London GP and I'd expect the same for the Dutch Open. As said, he'd only resume competition wholeheartedly in January next year provided his decision is to continue playing regardless whether Rio'16 is included or not.

For me, I see it as mainly a question of motivation, commercial consideration and others aside. Probably he has half a mind to retire precipitated by the unexpected 5th world title win. If the Rio Olympics is just a year away I'd be absolutely sure he will continue and aim for it but, as it is, three years is neither too long or short in view of his present age and physical condition as well as other personal considerations, that's why he is hesitant to commit himself. For the next few months, I gather he'll be weighing the pros and cons, calculating the possible trade-offs and risks involved, and delve deep inside himself to understand what he really wants to do next about his career and life; of course, with inputs from and discussions with his family, close friends, mentors and colleagues.

No doubt his passion for the sport will never leave him for as long as he lives but that's not the same as actively competing and striving for successes and accolades which demands full dedication, time and effort. Knowing him, being a self-disciplined, responsible and dutiful person towards his loved ones, his fans and the nation, it's a decision he'll not take lightly. I trust once he decided to carry on, he will continue to give his level best and,as he's said before, he can accept the occasional defeat but not for lack of sincere effort,preparedness and training - he certainly won't waste precious time and let himself and others down.

I highly respect and admire him and patiently await his final decision. All the very best to Lin Dan.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I can't see LD continuing. He got lucky with the wild card and he had to play the tournament because it was hosted it China. If it was hosted in another country, I am not sure he would have participated.

There are no individual titles left to win and Rio is too far away.

I see him possibly playing at 3rd singles in TC because he plays for his country, not for himself. It's a soldier's duty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    I can't see LD continuing. He got lucky with the wild card and he had to play the tournament because it was hosted it China. If it was hosted in another country, I am not sure he would have participated.

There are no individual titles left to win and Rio is too far away.

I see him possibly playing at 3rd singles in TC because he plays for his country, not for himself. It's a soldier's duty.
    Concur with your post. As for Rio, perhaps in 2015 LD may look at the competition and his playing desire and condition and then may want to try for a 3rd gold, but that is a longshot. Also, that means LD would not play AG14.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LD said he won't return to the national squad until Feb 2014. Before then, he will play in CBL.

http://www.ttymq.com/viewnews-26793.html

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now this article paints a somewhat different picture http://sports.qq.com/a/20130911/016644.htm Let me explain.

First, LYB clarifies that the reason Lin Dan isn't playing any tournaments the next three months until year end is because his ranking at 98 doesn't qualify him to do so, referring to the six superseries tournaments, inclusive of the SSF. (What about the grand prix events? He didn't say). LYB seriously doubts BWF would be willing to issue wild cards to Lin Dan for each of these said events.

Second, Lin Dan himself explains that forsaking the international tournaments is mainly because he wants to spend more time with his family and hopes to do well at the CBSL.

Third, LYB says :" Within a short space, Lin Dan in the two events(WC and CNG) displayed himself to be steady,calm and collected, even better than before, on this point I'm very happy for him. At the post-WC summing-up, I urged everyone to learn from Lin Dan his dedication to training and fighting spirit. Most training emphasizes the scientific aspect and neglected the importance of diligence which is the precondition, ,maintaining the scientific training is for avoiding injury."

Fourth, LYB claims his plan is for Lin Dan to start a specially formulated intensive,scientific training regimen in January next year. This statement was verified by Lin Dan who himself added that he would resume competition in Feb' 14.

Fifth, LYB once again expresses his hopes that Lin Dan's next step is to Rio'16, only this one step, no other.

Lastly, throughout the article, neither LYB nor Lin Dan mentions the word 'retirement'.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This article discusses Lin Dan's record-breaking feat, the number of firsts he created and the records he hasn't broken http://sports.qq.com/a/20130911/016564.htm

The following records are held by him:

1) Twice Olympic Gold medallist and successful defending champion;

2) 5 times World Champion;

3) 5 times Thomas Cup champion and successively;

4) 5 times Sudirman Cup champion and successively;

5) 3 times Chinese National Games MS champion;

In both the Thomas and Sudirman Cups, he played MS1.

The author didn't talk about the BWF record of the biggest jump in ranking from 286 to 98, by 188 places, set by Lin Dan during the WC'13. Also another record of Lin Dan not mentioned is his being the first wild card entrant and unseeded player to win the world championship in MS badminton. (These two records are included by me, Justin. If I may add, Lin Dan is the lowest-ranked contestant to win the world title, at 286th just before the event and 98th during).

According to the author, the following are the records not held by Lin Dan which he can aim to break, namely,

1) The Asian Games gold won once by Lin Dan but twice by Taufik Hidayat in 2002 and 2006;

2) The Superseries Finals MS champion which Lin Dan won once in 2011 but 3 times by Lee CW and that is because Lin Dan only took part in one such event;

3) The Asia Badminton Championship which Lin Dan won twice in 2010 and 2011 but 3 times each by Taufik Hidayat and Sony Dwi Kuncoro and that is because Lin Dan was absent on those occasions;

4) The All England Championship won 5 times by Lin Dan but 8 times by Rudy Hartono except that during his era, CHN did not participate for political reasons.

Lastly, the author casually remarked that Lin Dan has yet to win the CBSL championship for BAYI team.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to add. For Lin Dan's 3 times CNG Championship record, the author stated that none of his predecessors have won it even twice. The previous winners were Tang Xianhu, Han Jian, Yang Yang, Zhao Jianhua, and Luo Yigang. The last mentioned won it in 2001 when Lin Dan as an 18-yr-old first participated and won silver losing to him.

In 2005 and 2009, Lin Dan won gold on both the occasions beating Bao Chunlai each time. In 2009, he conceded a mere 3 points in G2 to Bao Chunlai.

In this 2013 edition, Lin Dan beat Du Pengyu for gold and only conceded 5 points in the 2nd set after winning the 1st 21-18. In G1, he bided his time but in G2, he suddenly injected pace and launched violent attacks to seal victory.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lin Dan's record will stand for a long, long time

Thanks Justin for more detailed information on Lin Dan's accomplishments.

No doubt his record is hard to beat. For those players, including the ladies, who think they are on top of the world, let them measure themselves against LD's record. There is no comparision by just winning one or two SS or a bronze in OG and the WC. Rising "super" or "mega"- stars are they? Haha

Lin Dan would have won more accolades had he participated in more tournaments. And chances are his opponents will be denied once again had he done so.

But now he has no great motivation to create more records for himself and for China - certainly an immense relief to his opponents. His priority now is his family. A wise decision indeed.

But will he change his mind just for the occasion? Just for his ardent fans? Just to make his record more difficult to break if he wins? Rio OG 2016?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This website also reported that Lin Dan will skip International competitions for the rest of 2013 (http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/b...r-rest-of-2013) but Lin Dan still has ways to go to top this badminton record of 179 gold medals (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201.../golden-years/)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LD the best payer in the Universe - move aside Avengers, Superman and all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another long break from him? How would he help to promote badminton if he keeps taking a break? Really want to watch him playing badminton.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LD has been kicked out the national team for a while. It's not just his intention to be with his family. This is so simple and obviously.

That's the reason he cannot play international tournaments, simply because he's been kicked out the national team.

See who always participates in the international tournaments? They are constantly: Chen Long, Du Pengyu, Wang Zhengming, Gao Huan and Chen Yuekun. Why? Because they are the only national team members!

Guo Huan and Chen Yuekun have never been the best top 5 in China ever.

Now let's talk about why LD has been kicked out of the national team.

The biggest money for Chinese playing badminton is NOT the prize money. What's the reason Indian wondering why Chinese players scoffing at their 1 million dollar IBL.

The most 2 important money for Chinese players are government funding and company sponsorship. Li YB, the manger for national team, has been always controlling all the commercial incomes. Then he distributes the money as he likes.

Lin Dan and other players, all have to obey this. But as the most successful player, and super star, LD is the most important in commercial ads, therefore he cannot stand to let LYB dictating the money. So he began to accept company's commercial ads independently. So they finally broke up, LD kicked out the national team.

But this is the thing neither LYB nor LD want to mention in public. LD cannot go back to the national team until they can compromise secretly.
    Last edited by 2cents; 09-14-2013 at 08:02 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
    LD has been kicked out the national team for a while. It's not just his intention to be with his family. This is so simple and obviously.

That's the reason he cannot play international tournaments, simply because he's been kicked out the national team.

See who always participates in the international tournaments? They are constantly: Chen Long, Du Pengyu, Wang Zhengming, Gao Huan and Chen Yuekun. Why? Because they are the only national team members!

The biggest money for Chinese playing badminton is NOT the prize money. What's the reason Indian wondering why Chinese players scoffing at their 1 million dollar IBL.

The most 2 important money for Chinese players are government funding and company sponsorship. Li YB, the manger for national team, has been always controlling all the commercial incomes. Then he distributes the money as he likes.

Lin Dan and other players, all have to obey this. But as the most successful player, and super star, LD is the most important in commercial ads, therefore he cannot stand to let LYB dictating the money. So he began to accept company's commercial ads independently. So they finally broke up, LD kicked out the national team.

But this is the thing neither LYB nor LD want to mention in public. LD cannot go back to the national team until they can compromise secretly.
    but i thought LYB and CBA gets a slice of whatever LD makes commercially. no?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    but i thought LYB and CBA gets a slice of whatever LD makes commercially. no?
    yes, you are right, LYB and CBA still get their percentage. But LYB wants to himself the person to control all the money, and decide who get what percentage.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2cents View Post

So, it is not true... Just a speculation.. Any article about their interviews about the same??

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks,2cents, for your inside scoop. Personally, I loathe to see such things happening, that is players and coaches falling out with each other for whatever reasons. They should quickly work things out, compromise and find a solution. Open-hearted communication and sincerity is key.

Without knowing the details, on the surface I can only say as Lin Dan isn't a fully independent professional player, he is expected to abide by the originally agreed upon arrangement and share commercial income distribution according to CBA guidelines (unless LYB is taking more than his fair share).

I trust LYB and LD's special and close relationship as teacher-disciple, mentor-student(protege), almost like 'father-son', should enable them to settle their differences and misunderstandings amicably and with mutually beneficial outcome, the sooner the better.